New
Find
Notify
Tools

twist rate question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have been loading berger 168 gr hunting hpbt vld in my ruger american 308 for a coupla years for whitetail never paying attention to the twist rate of 1 in 10. now i see on the boxes, both P/N 30510 that one is 1/12 and the other is 1/13. whats it doing to my POI or velocity.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
i have been loading berger 168 gr hunting hpbt vld in my ruger american 308 for a coupla years for whitetail never paying attention to the twist rate of 1 in 10. now i see on the boxes, both P/N 30510 that one is 1/12 and the other is 1/13. whats it doing to my POI or velocity.

Absolutely nothing negative. The 1-10 in a 308 will allow you to use longer (usually heavier) bullets with no problems. You don't need a 1-10 to shoot 168 gr. bullet accurately, but the 1-10 won't hurt it in any way shape or form. And the twist rate recommendations Berger puts on their boxes is a minimum twist needed not maximum.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Berger offers an on-line stability calculator. Fun to play with.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
whats it doing to my POI or velocity.

???
You're the guy who has the gun and has been shooting the rounds. You don't know what your point of impact is?

In the last few years it has become fashionable to obsess over twist rates, even for bullets of conventional weight, construction, and length. This, too, shall pass.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no asswipe, i farmed it out to you to figure my POI. it was a theorhetical question. how do you know "this too shall pass"? have you been working in the projectile industry for the past 50 years? who says anyone was obsessing? if you have nothing to contribute, don't. and you don't.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
no asswipe, i farmed it out to you to figure my POI. it was a theorhetical question.
Really? A "theoretical question"? You specified the bullet, the weight, the rifle, the twist rate, and stipulated that you "have been loading (this) . . . for a coupla years". It sounds like a very specific question and hardly hypothetical.

how do you know "this too shall pass"? have you been working in the projectile industry for the past 50 years?
No, I've been reloading my own centerfire rifle cartridges for the last 53 years and have watched the "conventional wisdom" in firearms and ammunition do about four 360's during that half-century-plus.

who says anyone was obsessing?
In one sentence you mention twist rate three times. If not obsessive it is at least redundant.

if you have nothing to contribute, don't. and you don't.
How kind of you to offer your advice and your assessment.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI think your point of aim and your point of impact was a nerve ,Stonecreek. does this define accuracy? Winkroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Roll EyesI think your point of aim and your point of impact was a nerve ,Stonecreek. does this define accuracy? Winkroger beer

I think you're right. Having been a shooter for a very long time, Roger, you'll know that sometimes you hit something you weren't aiming for Wink!

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting those same bullets in both my Kimber mountain ascent 308 and Remington 5R 308. slightly different twists, but both at 10 or 11". Accuracy very good to excellent in both, depending on powder charge, case (Lapua) and primers. Velocity not very different either.

Bottom line - 10" twist will (and does) work fine. Issues, if any, would lie with other components.

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and yet another intelligent response as per gun dog and o connor. i knew there was another IQ over 60 floating around there somewhere. haters just gotta hate. small things amuse small minds. thanks for the info HT.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and yet another intelligent response as per gun dog and o connor. i knew there was another IQ over 60 floating around there somewhere. haters just gotta hate. small things amuse small minds. thanks for the info HT.
Haters? What am I missing?

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The twist rate marked on the bullet boxes is doing nothing for your POI or your velocity.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

The twist rate marked on the bullet boxes is doing nothing for your POI or your velocity.

P dog shooter: Your statement is quite accurate and directly responds to the question asked, but I assume that you're aware that you risk being labeled a "hater" or even "a$$wipe" for having stated it. Such seems to be the state of civil discourse these days.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

P dog shooter: Your statement is quite accurate and directly responds to the question asked, but I assume that you're aware that you risk being labeled a "hater" or even "a$$wipe" for having stated it. Such seems to be the state of civil discourse these days.

I been called worse.

Topics that seem to bring out the best in people.

Handguns are better then bear spray.

Mauser actions are not worth the trouble to convert.

Rugers MKII's are better actions then Mausers.

Stainless and Sty stock rifles are better then Blued and wood.

Serria match kings are a good hunting bullet.

Saying you shoot game at long range. Long range wasn't been defined yet.

Saying you use a .224 caliber rifle for deer hunting.

Setting the facts straight and telling the truth when it goes against preconceived ideas and old wifes tales.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

homerSeems like learning to play with others may be a far reaching endeavor. Roll Eyesroger faint

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
All I'm seeing is someone to lazy to read up on the subject, to arrogant to realize it, and too thin skinned to handle life.

Here's the deal. As others said those numbers are minimum twist rates. 0-1000 meters you can't over stabilize a bullet that is still super sonic at that range. well you can but lets be realistic here no one is going to shoot a 90 308 in a 1-7 twist and not realize they are doing something bad.

At extreme range bullets loose velocity faster than they loose spin that leads to instability coming back through the transonic zone.

as for spin drift yeah it's there and it's more with a faster twist, Are you going to notice? did anyone of us that was not a competitive benchrest shooter or F class shooter even care a few years ago, NO because the drift is so slight unless you are trying to shoot the smallest groups possible at range or you are shooting long range where minor errors are magnified you will never notice.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just because ole bartshes pic looks like a gay elmer fudd don't mean you should badmouth him like that. he cain't help it!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
just because ole bartshes pic looks like a gay elmer fudd don't mean you should badmouth him like that. he cain't help it!

CRYBABYBoy, you cut me deep !! Frowner roger beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. . . "gay Elmer Fudd" or "asswipe"? It's hard to pick which I like better. But most assuredly both are the product of a vastly superior intellect -- whose keyboard happens to lack an upper case key and various items of punctuation. Well, it is challenging to coordinate holding one key down while clicking another, after all. Probably has something to do with point of impact being disrupted by a variance in twist.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
donttroll I forgot!!! thumbdownroger homer

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Let's try to remember that AR is supposed to be the civilized forum. Stonecreek's reply may have been a bit blunt but I know from years of reading his stuff that he is not a troll.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Let's try to remember that AR is supposed to be the civilized forum. Stonecreek's reply may have been a bit blunt but I know from years of reading his stuff that he is not a troll.

stir My post didn't intend Stonecreek as point of impact. Whistlingroger beer

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
To be clear, Roger, I wasn't thinking of your post. Can't say too much.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
twist rate marked on the box is the minimum suggested to stabilize the bullet - if your twist rate is that fast, or faster, you are good to go ...

and that's ALL it means

Now, as for impacting anything in your rifle .. well, nil .. your barrel is your barrel, you bullet is your bullet, and your external ballistics are a result of several interdependent factors that .. well...

hmm, the well and .... above are, is your question ACTUALLY "did they change bullet design on the ones marked 12 to 13" .. THAT'S an intriguing question .. though i suspect the answer is closer to that the markings on the box changed due to customer feedback .. either 13 wasn't ALWAYS fast enough, or field accuracy was actually a SD better in a 12 ... or just that they got static from triskaidekaphobics about not liking seeing 13 on the box ...

if the bullet construction and design are the same, it's likely just ink on the box, and makes no difference to your bullet path...

if the bullet changed, then i have no way of knowing what your results are...

btw, you are out of line in your level of response by jumping to swearing and insulting.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Twist rate not so cool for chosen bullet

Twist rate Cool !

Rifle 6.5x68 Sauer with CIP spec barrel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dad gum i ain't seen such a rukus since granny got her tit caught in the wringer!
i hearby apologize to anyone i offended and accept all apologizies from anyone that offended me. except that i wasn't offended by anyone. i may jab back now and again, but rarely take a full swing. and i really did appreciate the sincere answers to the question.