New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet manufacturers' penetration testing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
where can the public access bullet manufacturers' penetration testing info? trying to find comparison of penetration tests between different calibers of the same bullet types. Assuming its somewhere on the net.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never seen any manufacturer giving what kind of penetration test to the public. Why do you need what?

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Barnes used to give away a CD that they used to heavily promote their all copper projectiles but I have not seen them in a few years. You might give them a call. Perhaps other manufacturers do it too.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I had chart from Handloader magazine that had about 20 to 30 diffrent bullets they tested for comparison of the bullets ability to mushroom and fragment at standard velocity. Thats all I have seen
https://www.handloadermagazine...P-Bullet%20Chart.jpg

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nordic: At least one, to my knowledge, credible outfitter has stated that he's seen at least one .30 cal. bullet reliably give greater penetration than larger (.375 cal.) bullets of the same design. I'd like to see the testing that supports that, if there is such testing.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Maybe the .30 bullet was FMJ ?

FMJ .308 has been used for culling in Africa. I hear it is very effective. No mushrooms though.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have been more specific: It was the 200 gr. Nosler P.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the 375 260grain partition have a SD of .264 and the .30 200gr partion have a SD of .301 which would give it better penetration.

But then you can also choose the 300gr 375 partition which have a sd of .305 and is suitable for african big game.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Look at it this way.

Bullets made of solid copper, or brass, will penetrate furthest.

Bullets with a solid shank at the back and some lead at the front, will be second

Bullets that have partitions, with lead front and back, will penetrate less.

Soft point bullets, will penetrate the least.

In our tests, velocities of around 2700-2800 fps will give you best penetration.

This was true of the original Barnes X and our own Walterhog bullets.

By adjusting the diameter and depth of the hollow point, I can control the penetration depth.

Our Walterhog bullets will penetrate a cape buffalo from tail to neck.

Done it more than once, that is why I have complete confidence of shooting buffalo from any angle.

Forget SD, forget advertising claims.

This is real life experience.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66909 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote