Find
Notify
Tools

WC 867 surplus rifle powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
I'm looking for insight on WC 867. Apparently this powder is from pulled down 50 BMG.
How well will this powder work in magnum cartridges, 264WM, 7WSM, 300WM,
Will it work well for '06 cartridges. 26-06 thru 338-06.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does not work very well.

Full cases low velocities lots of left over unburnt powder grs in my experience.

I sold all mine to a 50 cal shooter.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
My experience with it has been the same as P Dog's.

I would look for something else.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's a little bit faster, on the burn chart, than kingsford

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
I'm looking for insight on WC 867. Apparently this powder is from pulled down 50 BMG.
How well will this powder work in magnum cartridges, 264WM, 7WSM, 300WM,
Will it work well for '06 cartridges. 26-06 thru 338-06
Tinman There is surplus powder labeled WC 860 another labeled WC 867 and one labeled WC 872 The WC 860 and WC 872 are very slow burning powders. I have used quite a bit of the WC 867 and found it to be quite similar to Magpro powder(or at least the keg I have is ) Found it quite good accuracy and velocity wise in the 270 WSM I would suggest using it only with heavy for calibre bullets You might try it with heavy bullets in the 25-06 but it is way to slow for the 30-06 and 338-06. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
it's a little bit faster, on the burn chart, than kingsford

Big Grin archer rotflmo

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Back in the day the boys would drop a grain or two off Bullseye under the Kinsford line of powders to get them burning. Tricky business that.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I saw where 16lb jugs of it going on the gunbroker pretty reasonably.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used wc867 in my 264 win mag the only problem is heat it's not coated powser .I even tried some in my 308 just low speeds .If there is nothing else it's a crap hit the fan powder .Its like h870 but makes higher pressure .They say you can even use it for reduced loads for 3030 have not tried that .I got a bunch of kegs for $40 each .It did have more preside in the 264 than the h870 did .I wouldn't pay more than $5 a pound for it but yes if there is nothing else it works in a pinch !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, am I lucky! If I had read this thread sooner and known what a sorry powder it was I would have never used WC867 with a 190 grain Nosler Accubond LR in my .300 WBY. There is no way it should have produced top velocities along with sub-MOA groups. And I would NEVER have attempted to kill the elk I killed with this load. I guess I'd better pay more attention in the future! And I'll be pulling my .300 WBY loads and dumping the powder on the yard. THANKS for saving me from myself, guys!

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I am glad it work for you the jug of it I had did not preform for me at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It worked good below 80 degrees no problem. It gave me high pressure above 85 degrees .Its not as good as h870
But it's fine with the powder shortage going on .Its pretty dirty burning have to really clean your rifle after 50 shots or so. It's better and being powder less for sure .You use to be able to buy 50 gallon drums of it for .20 a pound but you had to have a fireworks permit for it .

one of us
posted Hide Post
I paid 3 a pound for the stuff I brought.

Sold it and replaced it with better powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously, WC867 is a very slow burning powder best adapted to large capacity cases with heavy-for-caliber bullets. If case capacity allows loading it to adequate pressure then it burns just as cleanly as any other powder of its basic chemical composition.

Smaller cases loaded with too-slow powders always result in a dirty barrel. WC867 is inappropriate in something like a .308 Win or even a .30-06. It will go "bang" and a bullet will come out the end of the barrel, but as with any powder in its burning range, you'll find plenty of crud left behind by the low pressure load.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that there is no powder left it might be a good deal hit the fan powder for your magnum loads .I used it in the 264 win mag and will probably use it on 7 mm rem mag and maybe some 338-378 loads .