New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a new SS media tumbler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I looked around for awhile and decided to go with the Thumbler Tumbler Model B tumbler. Got it from stainlesssteelmedia.com for 194.00 which is the cheapest I'd found anywhere. They also had the best price on media, 5 lbs. for 39 bucks. I also got the upgraded larger knobs for the lid. All I need to get is a media separator which I seen a youtube video where a guy uses a 5 buck salad bowl/mixer from wally world, worked like a champ.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look for a brass dryer. After years of using a towel in a sunny spot I got one.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Heck!!! A cookie sheet in the oven for 20 minutes at 250* works great!!!
Larry

Posts: 14 | Location: wet wa,United States | Registered: 27 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
I usually stay below 190 and never gets stained/discoloured brass from the heat.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
250 and 190 of what? F or C?

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the oven method at 100C/212F and after about half an hour there was still water on the inside of some cases.

The best way to dry cases is with an air compressor and then use some method of heating.

My drier, which I got from them broke after the first use. They refunded me for it but I still don't have a fast way of completely drying cases yet.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lay the cases in an old a towel, grab two corners and blast them with Mrs. Gerry's gazillion watt hair dryer set on take-off speed for a coupla minutes - they're good to go.

Warm enough that you don't want to handle them for a few minutes when you're done but not so hot as to make them discolor.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
I've been using SS media for a while now. I de-cap first. Don't forget the 1/4 tsp. Lemi shine (no more). Nothing gets brass cleaner.

You'll need to develop a system to rinse and separate the brass from the media but when you do, you'll love it.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A five gallon plastic bucket and a hair drier, poor mans convection oven.

one of us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A cooking sheet lined with parchment paper and 170 degree Fahrenheit (amended) convection oven. The ultimate brass dryer!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
170 of what? C or F or apples?

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, they are talking 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Just enough to make them warm.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe he meant 170 Kelvin cryo treatment.

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Jiri get on the horse and smart up a little!
You sound as dumb as the Imperial guys.

If an American asks a question the ansver is given in imperial units because hes to dumb to convert from metric himself.

And it seems that you're to dumb to figure that out, so:
Brass is dried below the boiling point of water and that is done so the brass wont discolour. So for you alone:
Brass is dried in the oven at @90degC~194degF~363degK~654degR

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
A cooking sheet lined with parchment paper and 170 degree convection oven. The ultimate brass dryer!

Oops I forgot! Y'all don't use the Fahrenheit scale on your side of the pond!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Dear The Dane: There is no degree K, there is only simple K ;-)

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckboat:
Maybe he meant 170 Kelvin cryo treatment.

It will definitively works :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To dry my cases I use 3 different methods... Use an old dark Teflon lined cake pan set out into the sun... summer time solar heating.

or use the kitchen oven set to minimum [170 F ~ 77C ~ 350K ~ 630R ] which also works well. I present the temperature scale buffet as a demonstration to The Dane that there is at least one American who is conversant in different temperature scales. And as long as we are being snarky.... The Dane should brush up either on his typing [ "to dumb' ] or his use of common English. Or both.

I also dry cases on an electric griddle my bride wanted to throw out because the temperature control scale [merely in Fahrenheit] was no longer easy to read. The cases are laid down and get heated for a while. Used an electronic cooking thermometer to recalibrate the control scale. During heating the temperature varies but the max temperature I use is about 170 F [those who are temperature conversion challenged should see the above.] :-)

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
Jiri get on the horse and smart up a little!
You sound as dumb as the Imperial guys.

If an American asks a question the ansver is given in imperial units because hes to dumb to convert from metric himself.

And it seems that you're to dumb to figure that out, so:
Brass is dried below the boiling point of water and that is done so the brass wont discolour. So for you alone:
Brass is dried in the oven at @90degC~194degF~363degK~654degR

First I heard of degR. I'll have to look it up.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
++ to the Hair Dryer method, I lay mine on papertowels and blast each end as I slowly move the blower along the line of cases. Been working great for the past 10 years or so.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'm a little more "frugle". To dry brass get a bath towel and fold it in half length wise. See one end and most of the long edge together. You get a larger opening to pour brass into this way. Shake the rinse water out of the cases in a colander and pour it into the towel. Grab the open end with your hand and bunch it up to close it. Grab the other end with your other hand. Tumble with a motion similar to either shining your shoes or polishing a bowling ball. Raise one hand while lowering the other. This shakes most of the water out of the brass. Pour the brass from the towel on to a cookie sheet and set it on a shelf. Come home from work the next day and the brass should be dry and ready to either prime or store. You can place cookie sheets in the sun in the summer, also.

I'd rather dry fruit in my dehydrator than brass. Applesauce makes a great fruit leather.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best alternative I've found to dry cases is to blow the excess water off them (with a pet hair drier I picked up at a flea market) and then dry them in a food dehydrator with multiple stacking trays.

Works beautifully!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shucks I spread them on a hand towel and lay on the floor heat vent in winter. don't wash 'em in summer, IF I happen to, set out on a towel or cookie sheet in the sun.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote