Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on single stage presses
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted
Hey fellas, I'm in need of some more knowledge. I want to buy a single stage press to load 308 for my ruger precision rifle. I currently have a Hornady lnl AP, but want something that can do a better job holding tighter tolerances for better accuracy. I've been looking at the RCBS Summit, but I'm not sure about it? I've also been thinking about the Hornady lock n load classic, but with the recent problems I've had with my AP I'm not sure if I wanna go down that road?! What do you guys think, of what have you had the best luck with?

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have loaded enough ammo on my Rockchucker to make a good showing in a medium sized war. I use my Rockchucker and Partner Presses.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have loaded enough ammo on my Rockchucker to make a good showing in a medium sized war

tu2 mine is approaching 30yrs old at least. God knows how many loads. Never failed me.

Ruger precision rifle?????

If you feel something like the Rockchucker isn't good enough I would suggest you go the route of the BR shooters which I ASSUME the summit is designed for. Sorry never seen or used one. http://www.sinclairintl.com/re...components/index.htm has a number of options on arbor presses.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
so, let me ask, what are you looking for? better OAL consistency? or what part? I've played a bit on the BR game, and OAL+case weight+bullet weight mean more than powder charge .. that is, the percent change is WAY more change in oal

my lnl ap holds close to the same as all of my single stage, if i do my part and be consistent.

if you hate your LnL, PM me, and we can discuss how to dispose of it

as for single stage press, the rcbs supreme is likely the best all around single

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38451 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19 | Location: Montana | Registered: 03 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Dillon XL650 for production handgun reloads but a veteran RCBS Rockchucker for precision rifle loads.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rock Chucker is never wrong.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
By no means do I hate my lnl AP. But that said I've noticed about of slop in it lately, in the lnl bushings, the RAM, and the toggle. I'm not doing BR shooting, but I am trying to hit steel at 1000+yards. While I'm able to hit targets now, I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I've talked with Hornady about the issues I'm having with my AP, but the guy I talked with had no intention of listening to what I had to say...? Another reason I'm looking at the summit, is because I have a small reloading bench and it has a very small footprint.

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw the perfect press at the gun show in Lima yesterday. It was a Herters. RCBS makes an adapter and you could use any shell holder then. Apic of mine.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
+1 for Forster Co-Ax

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old In 59 years I've never found the Hollywood sr. lacking. When I'm gone I'm sure it'll lead another life. clap roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Rockchucker is my original standby for a single station. And I have 6 presses. Maybe 7.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
Well I may regret it but I ended up going worn the summit. I'm also planning on ordering some Redding match 308 dies.

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I bought my RCBS Rockchucker used in 1975. It's still going strong after probably 100,000 plus reloads. I spray some dry graphite on the ram about every two or three years. Hard not to recommend a Rockchucker after my experience.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
I just passed on my 80's vintage Rock Chucker to a friend when I bought a Redding T-7 here on AR. The Rock Chucker is solid and sound and smooth as silk, even after years of use. I trusted it to the max. I have no experience with the Summit press . . .

NRA Endowment Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 519 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that if we added all our ammo-count on our old Rockchuckers that it would exceed the total armament or North Korea!
I bought mine in the mid 70's. I think, when I was selling sporting goods and it's been used liberally ever since.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the danger of sounding like a broken record, my mid 70s Rockchucker has provided untold thousands of rounds with nary a hiccup. I fully expect to leave it to my son where it will continue to serve faithfully for many more years, long after I'm gone. A solid piece of machinery.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I have the Rock Chucker and have had nothing but good experiences with it. Come to think of it, I have had good experiences with all RCBS products.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my Rockchuker in 1977 when they came in crinkle green and the handle was just a green rubbery plastic sheath.

Later I added an RCBS Case Kicker and it loaded .32 S & W, .32 S & W Long, .380 ACP, .38 S & W, .38-44 Ira Paine Special, 9mm Parabelleum, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .455 Webley, .303 British and .270 Winchester.

It was that last, .270 Winchester, that was the downfall of it. I sold it in 2011 and got an Australian Simplex Master that is a Lyman Crusher clone.

But this Rockchucker served me well for thirty-four years. But that four inch opening as I found that .270 Winchester was just too "fiddly".

If it had the same height opening as the Simplex Master (aka Lyman Crusher) I'd never have parted with it. I've revisited the notion of getting another but don't want a Supreme and so it's the Simplex Master now.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 1975 Rockchucker and a Redding T-7 Turret. Along with a few Dillon's and MEC's.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the newer rockchuckers are not quite up to the standard the older ones set. The ultramag is a beast, and will allow you to reload the longer cartridges we all love with a bit more ease. But you can't go wrong, I'm splitting hairs

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Uh, in case it hasn't been mentioned: ROCKCHUCKER.
Have used for match loads.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my old Rockchucker. I also have an old CH that I like to seat bullets with.

I read a thread on the Benchrest Central about making bullets and the guy uses Lee cast Iron presses. They are cheaper than anyone else's and he claims they are bored straighter. I would trust the Redding Boss and a whole army of people use the Forester Coax.

Most any of the major press manufacturers are going to make a decent press.

I would recommend a press with compound linkage like the Rockchucker.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee classic cast with close to 5k worth of cycles

But....the Lee progressive pictured has at least 2x that much

No complaints and made in the USA

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
I have loaded enough ammo on my Rockchucker to make a good showing in a medium sized war

tu2 mine is approaching 30yrs old at least. God knows how many loads. Never failed me.

Ruger precision rifle?????

If you feel something like the Rockchucker isn't good enough I would suggest you go the route of the BR shooters which I ASSUME the summit is designed for. Sorry never seen or used one. http://www.sinclairintl.com/re...components/index.htm has a number of options on arbor presses.

Been using a rockchucker since 1974 and loaded 10,000s with zero problems

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rockchucker is great a good straight set of dies properly set up is a must for straight ammo. I always prefer Redding for precision stuff.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee Classic Cast Press. I use Lee dies. Excellent quality at a reasonable price!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
RCBS Rockchucker for the past 40 years

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rockchucker.

At least 25 years experience.

While I'm not the world's best marksman (shooter consistency is my personal hobgoblin), I have been able to come up with enough good groups to tell me that my press and dies don't limit my ammo's accuracy.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I have a Lee Classic Cast Press. I use Lee dies. Excellent quality at a reasonable price!

^^^^^ This.
I got tired of listening to the folks that talk with their pocketbooks and bought a Lee press "just to see". Was the finish a slick as the presses costing several times more? No, but the proof of the pie is in the eating. Using precision dies, I built ammo good enough to consistantly place high in competition. I bought one of those "see if your ammo is straight" gizzies. It sits, dust covered, on the shelf.
I must admit that I bought a used RCBS Jr press back in the 60's and worked the hide off of it in reloading and case forming. It would have made a good boat anchor for the QE2. I passed it along to a beginning reloader @2000 and it was still churning out good, straight ammo.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with green paint. Had an old RCBS press and the only thing I didn't like about it was it was a little short in the throat for H&H length cartridges. Along came the Lyman O mag and Orange chrusher presses with the longer throat that solved any problems with long cases. I picked up an O Mag in the early 1970's and liked it so much I bought a Chrusher as well. All my case forming and resizing is done on the Chrusher and all the bullet seating/ bullet pulling is done on the O Mag. With close to 40 years of service and not a single problem, I've learned to like Orange paint. Soon after Lyman brought these out RCBS lengthen their presses.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turner421:
Hey fellas, I'm in need of some more knowledge. I want to buy a single stage press to load 308 for my ruger precision rifle. I currently have a Hornady lnl AP, but want something that can do a better job holding tighter tolerances for better accuracy. I've been looking at the RCBS Summit, but I'm not sure about it? I've also been thinking about the Hornady lock n load classic, but with the recent problems I've had with my AP I'm not sure if I wanna go down that road?! What do you guys think, of what have you had the best luck with?

Check out the Forster Co-Ax. It is unique among presses. The self-centering features and symmetrical linkage reportedly give superior alignment. Worth investigating.

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Serious accuracy would suggest an Arbor Press, and hand dies.

You would only neck size, and a Wilson micrometer seating die would let you control seating depth to .0005". It is a straight line seater, so the bullet could not get cockeyed in the seating process.

It's what benchrest shooters use.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Hollywood from the 1940s that I found at the city dump in Marfa Texas, cleaned it up and been using it ever since, its massive and gave me two hernias mounting it!! LOVE IT, My latest is the RCBS A-2 and it comes with the extras to allow me to load for a 50 caliber Browning machine gun..but that one cost too much so the best Ive loaded is the 500 N.E. so far...I really like it also, but alas I will probably never own a 50 BMG, I hear the recoil is terrific.

I have no need for anything other than a single stage press...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Along came the Lyman O mag and Orange chrusher presses with the longer throat that solved any problems with long cases.

SNOWMAN...exactly what I did but in about 2010. An Australian Simplex Master press that is a clone of the Orange Crusher.

If RCBS had made that original Rockchucker with same height opening I'd never have changed it.

Simplex is long established in Australia and in the 1990s were imported into UK. Some folks, like Pacific, were blue before Dillon!

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a Rockchucker since 1967, only complaint, the primer catcher system is a catch every now and then and lots of errors. I've not came up with a remedy. If anyone has one, like to hear it.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding spent primers going astray, I cut the top couple of inches off of a plastic Solo 16 ounce cup, cut that in half, and turned it upside-down and stuck it on the Rockchucker primer catcher thingie. End of problem.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+3 for the Forster Co-Ax. Simple, powerful and accurate says it all. All my varmint loads get loaded on it using Forster benchrest die sets.

Posts: 30 | Location: Sandy Lake, PA | Registered: 27 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Check youtube for repairs, parts, etc. regarding your LNL. I usually find some neat new tricks and easy solutions when I have an annoying problem with gun / reloading issues.

Use a Lee and a Redding single stage presses. Loads everything from 222 Rem to 416 Rigby.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started out with a Rockchucker for may years. Few years ago I switched to Forster Co-Ax.

Starting over I would start with a CO-Ax.

Good luck and good reloading.

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote