Find
Notify
Tools

CH4D or RCBS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted
I need to get dies for hand loading 500 NE.

I have been looking at CH4D dies someone had mentioned, I do like the fact that crimping is separate than seating.

I have no experience with them. Are they worth the investment?

Edit: I had used the search feature but most of the negative issues were 10+ years ago and dealt more with customer service than the dies themselves. Any change?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Good quality product. I have them in 50 Alaskan and 35 Remington. Never a problem.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've used both -

the issue is TIME - if ch4d has them on hand, go for it. if not, it's likely to take WAY longer than one might expect -

rcbs is 220 on midway, right this second ---

However!! Hornday is 110!!
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...011077269?pid=917199

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try ordering one a their presses and see how many birthdays pass b4 u get it!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like others have said, CH4D is OK if the item is in stock. Waiting for them to produce something is quite another story. Then there's the quality issue. Sometimes steps like polishing get missed. They still work but finish can be an issue.

Posts: 117 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Every time I order from CH4D what I want is in stock. Maybe lucky.
Their dies are fine. Never had an issue and I order a lot of 400 Whelen dies from them.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
To recap do not get it from CH4D is it is not in stock.

On CH4D expansion and crimping are separate dies. Not sure if the sizer also decaps from pics.

On Hornady I assume one would also need to get the universal decapper die. I also figure it expands while it resizes. And crimps while seating.

On RCBS it decaps while sizing, expansion is a separate die but it crimps while seating.

On pistol rounds I decap, resize, expand, seat and crimp in separate operations, so CH4D workflow fits what I am used to though obviously not on an automatic progressive press.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
To recap do not get it from CH4D is it is not in stock.

On CH4D expansion and crimping are separate dies. Not sure if the sizer also decaps from pics.

On Hornady I assume one would also need to get the universal decapper die. I also figure it expands while it resizes. And crimps while seating.

On RCBS it decaps while sizing, expansion is a separate die but it crimps while seating.

On pistol rounds I decap, resize, expand, seat and crimp in separate operations, so CH4D workflow fits what I am used to though obviously not on an automatic progressive press.

I don't see any issue with FL sizing dies that decap and expand and likewise a bullet seating die that also crimps. The seating die can do both these operations separately if wished but I have never had any problems seating and crimping in one step, it is just a matter of setting up the die correctly.
Maybe if talking of super accuracy for target or long range shooting, doing every step individually and carefully is possibly better but for big bores shooting big bullets at close to medium ranges a standard two die does the job.

If loading cast bullets a third die for flaring the case mouth is desirable. For loading cast for the .404J I just use a redundant 45 ACP case mouth sizing/flaring die having turned the sizing spigot down to slip nicely into the sized case mouth of the .404 case. The die is adjusted so the case shoulder butts the die mouth when the correct amount of flare is applied.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can say is I wish RCBS would go back to their raw steel dies. I feel they were much better quality then what they are currently making.

Nothing the matter with CH dies. They are better finished then their earlier dies. I know Dave that owns CH and he's a terrific guy. Lyman dies also look better then their funky chrome plated earlier ones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have CH4d dies in 256 and 30 Newton and they are just fine. The 256 dies needed a vent hole at the shoulder to vent trapped air when forming brass but for loading, they worked fine without the hole. No issue with the 30. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3521 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info.

CH4D had everything in stock. I ordered the 3 die set, file/trim die and a separate crimp die from them today.

Plus, like supporting small businesses, especially in these uncertain times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You cannot go wrong with CH, but in my experience RCBS is better and they have excellent product guarantee and replacement policy.