New
Find
Notify
Tools

$50 a pound at the store for powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just had to pay $50 a pound for varget powder at the store . They marked it up $$15 a pound before my eyes .I swear it's not going to be worth reloading any more .I didn't get any 223 powder in all this rush or .308 bullets .I covered everything else .I have tried to trim down my calibers too .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
They are doing that with the hot sellers here also. Varget, 4064, 4350, BLC2, 4831, H335, H380.

Retumbo, RL26 & H1000 would probably sell at over $80lb. A lot of people searching for those.

The time to purchase your stockpile of powders and primers was before September 2020. Hopefully stuff starts showing back up sooner than I think.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I paid $250 for 400 140 Grain Lapua Scenars, and 200 140 grain Bergers, the store had them in the back and didn't know it.

Then I paid the powder game and ended up with 6 pounds of powder ( by checking everywhere) for $35 a can.

You aren't going to be able to use the same powder you have used forever. That is over, you are going to have to get innovative.

I still beat factory loads, but not by much.

The days of 6.5 CM match Hornady for $20 a box are over. Last box I bought was $45, I had a coupon at Sportsmans and bought two boxes of 300 Win ELD-X and the last box of 6.5 CM they had for $150. Coupon and my military discount made it $120 which is still a horrible deal, but not quite what everyone else paid.

I now have 500 pieces of brass, and about 20 boxes of 6.5 CM ammo. I have stuff to load another 600 rounds, after that the shit show begins.

I don't shoot much 30-06, but I have 600 rounds of brass and 200 rounds of ammo.

300 Winchester I have about 200 rounds of ammo, and 3 cans of powder, and between it and the 30-06 I have about 650 bullets. I think I have the primers to keep both of them going.

416 Rem, I have 600 bullets, 300 cases, enough primers, and no powder.

I have about 2000 rounds of 22LR. But I need to buy a rifle that my kids can shoot, as they are burning it up to fast in the 10-22.

I sold my AR's, handguns and all the acompanied ammo at what I considered rape prices. I got $2000 for a $1400 308 AR, and $1.50 each for ball 308.
ammo. 44 Magnum went for full retail, and I got $1.50 a round for ammo.

I am not going to get into the business of reloading ammo for people, many people have asked. I think if you had the supplies you could triple your money. Too early in the game for me to sell off my supplies, not knowing when I'll be able to restock.

Be careful on what you get rid of for sure.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
To a relative degree, this kind of thing happens anymore every 4-year election cycle. This one comes on the heels of the virus. Depending on what the newly elected officials try to do will determine if things get back to some normalcy.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
The good thing is I can still get my blackpowder for $25/lb Big Grin

At the gun show I was even able to get as much as I wanted at $25lb...use a debit card with no tax or cc fees. Good stuff...hopefully he is at the show this weekend Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
The good thing is I can still get my blackpowder for $25/lb Big Grin

At the gun show I was even able to get as much as I wanted at $25lb...use a debit card with no tax or cc fees. Good stuff...hopefully he is at the show this weekend Big Grin

My 82 year old dad makes his own black powder, complains a lot about cleaning his ruger 44 though Smiler

Posts: 1068 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last Sunday the Sportsman's Warehouse near me had all of their empty powder cans off of the shelf. I guess they had NO powder. I did score a box of Barnes 6.5 127 grain LRX for $37 plus tax tho.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1158 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just plain shameful.

What bugs me is where is all the stuff going?

Glad I never stop stocking up over the years, the son in law will have a nice inheritance of reloading components. I have plenty for my needs, purchased at old reasonable prices.

I was in the mom & pop hardware store today picking up some hardware. They also sell reloading components. And live ammo.

Only thing on the ammo shelves was 338 Win mag and 338 Federal. No shot shells.

Only thing on the bullets shelves was a few boxes of 7mm, Nosler Partitions and 2 boxes of Hornady 7mm 154 grain Interlocks. Nothing else, no other calibers. I bought the Interlocks for my 280 Ackley, really did not need to but the counter guy said "Nothing else in sight, nothing being shipped, better get them while you can". No muzzle loading bullets of any type. Glad I have molds and a good lead stash.

Nothing else on the bullet shelves: No 224, no 6mm, no 6.5, no 277, no 308, no 8mm, no 338, no 358, no 375, no 416, no 458.

Gunpowder: They usually have 100 or so cans of smokeless, nothing. About 20 1 pound jugs of black powder, all Hodgdon.

No primers, no percussion caps.

Again, where is it all going? I am hearing of double shifts at the bullet manufacturers.

Fun times!

PS the Hornady 7mm 154 grain interlocks were at the old price of $27 per box of 100.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I just grabbed some Ramshot for normal prices. Hate paying hazmat...but...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fear is a powerful motivator. There are going to be some incredible yard sales in a few years. Some widow is going to shake her head at the amount of ammo and components her husband has purchased that in 5 life times could have never shot.

This too shall pass. Since you can’t buy now, don’t. You probably have more than enough to get you through this.

At our Walmart these older retired guys are in line on what ever day the small shipment of ammo arrives and buy it all. Of course if you have a job you can’t be there. Oh well.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DGR-416,
You have a PM re: your request on 250 and 275gr. speer hot core and Grand slams.
Ray

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they do it because we allow them too, boycott the bastards, and watch what happens...I refuse to support black market game players..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:

What bugs me is where is all the stuff going?

Into factory ammo.

Reloaders are second in the food chain.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep they are just mixing all the fast powders together and dumping it in those 9mm's you can't find.
siiigh.
think about it.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
they do it because we allow them too, boycott the bastards, and watch what happens...I refuse to support black market game players..

Boycott the black market? Okay...

Posts: 699 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Black Market refers to contraband transactions.

I have absolutely no problem with capitalism. Supply and demand determines price. Why should anyone sell a pound of powder for less than what the highest bidder is willing to pay?

Would you sell your home for a "fair profit" whatever that term might imply? Or would you sell it to the highest bidder?

Inflated prices for all things guns is the symptom of a potentially serious problem. There's a reason prices of all things guns have risen geometrically. The wise would attempt to identify the problem and formulate plausible predictions therefrom.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
at sportsman warehouse today had some powder thought I would try some varget, asked price said he didn't know 29-30 dollars he came back with it 37.99. told him I didn't want it . he ask why I told him price. had just left a independent store that had several powders 30- 35. sportsman did have ammo (didn't price any) cked on primers only had pistol the cci(only one I remember) 21 and change.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are now paying as much or more with forex as we pay for powder in Aus. How it has changed since I was last there two and a half years ago.

I hate to think what we are going to pay for USA made components and loaded Ammo!

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Discord is your friend.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
picky picky, a crook is a crook, that is not capitalism in my books, its legal cheating, believe what you will however, thats also legal..I will not forget those who uped sales at my expense, they have wholesale and retail prices and thats what it should be, to believe otherwise makes you one of the culprits. I feel the same way about the liberals that created this problem in the Obama administration..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imagine for a second you own a mom and pop gun store. You have a difficult time getting any guns from your wholesalers and distributors, hardly any ammo, powder, primers, and bullets coming in to resell. Your business is on the verge of going under because you have little to resell.

Would you raise the price of stuff on the shelves or close the doors?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree w it’s you Ray.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree as well. I am all for capitalism, but I have no use for thieves whose sole agenda is profiting by screwing fellow shooters.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
picky picky, a crook is a crook, ....I will not forget those who uped sales at my expense, they have wholesale and retail prices and thats what it should be, to believe otherwise makes you one of the culprits. I feel the same way about the liberals that created this problem in the Obama administration..

not in support of current pricing!!!

let's unpack that --
(wholesale/retail)
first thing, NO ONE complains when there is a discount off "retail" pricing.

pricing FIXING is actually illegal in the US - if an industry gets together and sets a price for products, it's an anti-trust violation. that law states that the MARKET will set the price

so, Ray, how do you feel about people who bought a thing, sat on it for awhile, then sell it for more ..
examples
first release car sellers (C8 'vettes, for example, were selling FROM DEALERS at 50% above MSRP - because people would pay for that)
stock market long term investors
home owners
double rifle dealers (remember when you could get "odd" caliber doubles for <2k, just because it was hard to get ammo?)
bitcoin
classic muscle cars, boats, motorcycles, and airplanes
Colt and SW pistols
96 mausers
98 mausers
heck, even NEW guns are going for 8-10X of what they went for 20 years ago. i could go on and on

Ray, under your plan, a nice double rifle shouldn't cost anymore today than when it was first sold RETAIL 75-100 years ago --

and, for the record, this mess started with Bush1 - primer and powder prices DOUBLED on his watch

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
EMP3
Nailed it!

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find it amazing how many people here feel they are entitled to buy what they want, when they want, at the price they want.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If everyone just bought on box of bullets or one canister of powder or one box of ammunition like people did in the not too distant past there would be enough. No matter how rational we think we are economics proves us wrong every time.

https://youtu.be/NzZgGChsyDI

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your sure entitled to letting the world run over you my man, but I have the right to feel otherwise and I do...and if mom and pop were in such a fix, I come closer to lending them some money until they got on their feet if I knew and trusted them..If you allow this to go on, soon they will be selling milk for $10. a gallon, wake up my friend or this so called capitalism will suddenly have a new name like Dictator ship for the haves but not for the have nots..Welcome to Mexico and So. America, they have trodden down that slippery slope, and have no middle class...it can happen..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the real world Ray. You no longer live in the 1970's where powder, primers, and guns cost X amount. Life goes on and if you dont accept it you just become bitter thinking everyone is out to cheat or fuck you over.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your sure entitled to letting the world run over you my man, but I have the right to feel otherwise and I do

Nah, Ray, you have it backards ..*I* don't support them telling me what i can buy or sell for
quote:
...and if mom and pop were in such a fix, I come closer to lending them some money until they got on their feet if I knew and trusted them..
...IF....
quote:
If you allow this to go on, soon they will be selling milk for $10. a gallon, wake up my friend or this so called capitalism will suddenly have a new
if "they" set the retail price at $10 a gallon, Ray, your very position says you will agree with that. If they set the price of half and half at $10, i'd be more than a bit annoyed, and look for a better price .. perhaps "mom and pop" would be willing to sell their milk and cream for the same, but at least all the assumed profit would go to them. THAT is how free market and choice help
quote:
name like Dictator
"they" set the retail price, Ray - that's YOUR position. The market should set the price
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:ship for the haves but not for the have nots..Welcome to Mexico
I like (30-40 years ago)Mexico,
a place (then) that rampant capitalism ran wild
quote:
and So. America, they have trodden down that slippery slope, and have no middle class...it can happen..

if we accept that "they" can set a selling price, you've given away your power

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso is correct. Now is not the time to buy. Ray you probably have enough reloading components to last a little while. I bought some 17 cal bullets yesterday that were on sale. And at 10 gr of powder per case, a lbs. of 1680 will last a while also in the old 17 hornet.

I feel bad for the folks who are afraid to shoot right now for “fear” of running out. I like to shoot, I gave a friend of mine a 500+ round brick of 22lr the other day, yes gave. He’s got little kids that want to shoot. They will make more, there’s money to be made.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Went to SARCO 2-3 months back and they had bought out a reloading shop. All the powders were $20-30/lb, but the bullets were cheap. $8-40/50-100count. I'm talking sealed Red Dot, 22Reloader, etc in cardboard canisters.

Went back last month and all the powder, 40-50 year old, was $50/lb or more and all the bullets were $25 and up.

On the bright side, been seeing new CCI & Hornady products at various shops. I may be wrong, but I think they're finally getting some components out of the factory.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So I went to the Twin Falls gunshow this week end,
Powder was $175. a pound, primers were $50 per 100, Speer bullets for $65 a box,..Hell you guys should have been there its seems right up your alley..I bought a rifle and found some old bullets at $15.00. a box, Speer that sold for $17. a box six monts ago..I reckon a "fair profit" is just fine, but Id suggest you guys that toss the word capitalism around so freely and bathed in BS would jump on $175. powder with a shit eaten grin... homer Ta ta all in good fun...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
....I swear it's not going to be worth reloading any more...

Well it sure ain't getting any cheaper buying loaded ammo. I almost shat my pants at the store yesterday when I saw what at first I thought had to be a mistake - it wasn't:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dgr416:

Well it sure ain't getting any cheaper buying loaded ammo. I almost shat my pants at the store yesterday when I saw what at first I thought had to be a mistake - it wasn't:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the American shooter has been manipulated once again!! They create a shortage, we piss and moan, the fall into the high price as normal like sheep to slaughter.... homer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. Remember the greedy bastards when things get back to semi normal.
At my LGS, I bought CFE-BLK for $31.99 a pound yesterday. They had Varget, I believe $38 per pound. And a few others, at slightly elevated prices.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks, you can play all the word games you want but conspiracy is conspiracy and it all started whey Obama shut down all the lead mines and bought from China, now China has the upper hand, and I wouldn't be surpriesed that Obama, the Clintons, had piece of that action..

Its the oldest game in the world, a crack in the system, take something gas, ammo, whatever create a shortage, the spoiled America falls for the and says oh well, its capitalism and like sheep to slaghter away we go once again, they screw you and make you like it, just like the many posts on this thread, its all OK..well homer///// killpc

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
They are doing that with the hot sellers here also. Varget, 4064, 4350, BLC2, 4831, H335, H380.

Retumbo, RL26 & H1000 would probably sell at over $80lb. A lot of people searching for those.

The time to purchase your stockpile of powders and primers was before September 2020. Hopefully stuff starts showing back up sooner than I think.

Picked up a keg of Reloder 26 recently for $350 FTF. Not sure I really needed it. The seller had been to AZ looking at retirement options and had stopped at Brunos and stocked up on a few things. Worked out to about $44 per pound. Not great, but buying a couple pounds from some place and paying hazmat fee and sales tax would have been about the same or more.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1158 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dgr416:

In good times that 3.5" TSS was always $9-11 a round. I found a boat load of the old boxed stuff in 3" last year and bought it all for about $2 a round. That tungsten stuff is amazing for those few days a year when the birds are not quite committing to the decoys.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote