New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS die question?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone make aftermarket carbide expander balls for an RCBS die? This would be for a .224 diameter expanding rod/set.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Hornady has them .224 carbide expander and the dies. My nephew got one a while back I think it was around $12

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parts interchangeability ( is that a proper word ? ) is possible between some of the popular brands. E.g. in one of my Redding dies I have a Hornady stem with elliptical expander. You may find the Redding and / or Hornady stem with expander fits your RCBS die. Redding supplies aftermarket die parts including carbide expander balls.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart
Check out June '17 Handloader mag. page65. Lyman Deluxe Carbide Expander/Decap Doe Rod. It will fit Redding and Lyman and it comes with an adapter threaded bushing to fit RCBS dies. I just ordered one from Amazon today so I haven't seen it in my hand. It allows the carbide expnder to be moved up high (like Forster dies) to engage the neck of the case just as it leaves the sizing portion of the neck.
Dave

Posts: 115 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave, I just read the blurb, and will try one. The high and hard position will be just what I need. I am already butchering the die (5.6x57mm RWS), so one last insult to it is in keeping with the project. Thanks for the heads up, and keep me posted. Eventually I hope to be able to shrug off questions about reforming the 5.6x57mm RWS case, and say, "no worries, eet es not so baaaad." Thanks again for the help.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this sounds super, but i read some reviews that say the rod is very soft and bends

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I will do some surgery on the RCBS set up, and slip a Redding Carbide ball on the shaft. If I can figure out the size of the rod used by Lyman, I could get some same sized, hardened drill rod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
I got my Lyman Deluxe Carbide Expander/Decap Die Rod - it was #7680310, 30cal. It fits Lyman and RCBS dies with included adapter. The Rifle product test said it also fit Redding - not so. Redding dies are 1/2x20. Lyman are 9/16. The rod measures .1865 nominal 3/16 x 32 or 10x32. I called Lyman, they said no Redding adapter. I would decap separate operation. The Lyman # for 22cal. is 7680300. They list fits 222rem,223rem,22-250 220swift, & 223WSSM. I hope this helps.
Dave

Posts: 115 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get some 600-800 or finer paper and polish the ball til it shines and you'll be better off too.

They still work easier on brass mouths with a touch of slick 'em.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe you can buy them from Redding. I have installed a few on my RCBS dies and they work great.
C.G.B.