New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua 30 cal ScenarL bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
have any of you used the Lapua 30 cal 220 gr ScenarL bullets yet in a 300 WM? they are a little long. i wondered if there were any magazine function issues...or any other issues to share. thanks.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used the 30 cal. bullets but I am using the 22 caliber Scenar L bullets. They are very accurate. They do have a long boot tail and they are considerably longer overall than Nosler custom competition. I am using them in a 22/270 with an 8 twist so they are going a lot faster than normal. I have not had any problems with them coming apart. They are much more accurate than the Nosler bullets. I am very impressed with them.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
338.... thanks for the info. i was especially interested to know if you had problems getting your loaded cartridges to feed through your magazine. it sounds like you have a custom cartridge though and therefore may have an especially long chamber.

i had used some Berger bullets once and found that to get them to shoot well, i had to seat the bullet so far out that they wouldn't feed through the magazine. this is not a major issue since most of my shooting is done from a bench. i just wanted to know about these bullets, because, as you say, they are a lot longer than other bullets.

i am glad to hear of their accuracy though. regardless of whether they feed through a magazine or not, if they are very consistent, then i will use them.

thanks again...

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle is built on a long Remington 700 action so there is a lot of extra room in the magazine. The throat on the rifle is fairly long so I am seating the bullets just short of the rifling. The base of the bullet is even with the base of the neck. The scenar L is a long but very streamlined bullet so they feed extremely well. I am very impressed with them and they seem to be of very consistent high quality. So far they are by far the best bullet I have found. Much better consistency than the Noslers

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not the heavier bullets, but the postings have swayed me to purchase some Scenar L bullets for a few match rifles that I shoot. they are older and don't have fast enough twists for the long bullets, but I'm sure that within the limitations, the Scenar Ls will provide excellent results- They better, I just ordered a thousand.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good success with the 167s in a 308. I have a box of 175s next to me on the bed table. I need a good load for it. In the Vihtavuori load manual #4 the editors highlight accuracy loads with Scenar-L bullets. Those loads have all shot very well for me indeed.
I'm looking forward to see how they do in a 6.5 Saum from GAP in the new year. I think they might be a little long for feeding in a standard 300 WIN MAG magazine box. Some rifles can be converted to take the long CIP compatible detachable AICS magazine. In that case there would be plenty of room for the 300 Win Mag loaded long.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote