New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257AI and RL-17Data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any data for the .257AI with RL-17 and 117 gr. Sierra Bullets?

Thanx Hip

Posts: 1801 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
When Reloader 17 data was harder to come by I called the powder manufacturer they told me to load it the same as IMR 4350 and work my way up from there.
So far I've tried it in a half dozen cartridges using that as a guide and it is fine, the advantage to Reloader 17 is you can go beyond IMR 4350 loads with what seems like less pressure.
Good luck with yours.
As a safety check contact the powder maker and go with their recommendations.

By the way I shoot 117 Sierra's in my 257 Roberts and they are great Mule Deer and Antelope killers. I may use them on elk this year...

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
...By the way I shoot 117 Sierra's in my 257 Roberts and they are great Mule Deer and Antelope killers. I may use them on elk this year...

I've only killed one elk with my .257 AI and a Sierra 117 grain GameKing bullet.

He was my second largest 6 point, and the quickest kill of any elk that I've ever shot. He just dropped dead in his tracks.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snell,

Thanx for the reply! I'll work with it.

Hip

Posts: 1801 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote