45-70 high pressure brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
where can I find some Thanks

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
I'm not quite sure what you are referring to here. The old 45/70 has been loaded in at least three different type cases, probably more, beginning with the inside primed copper case, then the balloon head case and finally the ones of today. I'm not a aware of any "high pressure" brass but you should be able to load any modern brass by say W-W, Remington or Federal to whatever pressure levels you wish, depending on what you intend to shoot it in. I load for a Marlin 1895 and a Ruger No 1 in 45/70 and run some hefty loads through them, especially the Ruger. (BTW, this is one of the very FEW rifles I have seen that the hotter the load, the better it seems to shoot.)
I will assume you know there are three recognized pressure levels for the 45/70, beginning at the lower end with the trapdoor, moving up to the Winchester and Marlin lever guns and finally, the Rugers and the repro Brownings.
Hope this helps although I really didn't say a lot.
Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot!
Best regards,

------------------
'Trapper'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes... Winchester and remington brass seem to hold up fine, I dont know about Fed 45-70 brass... I have never tried it. I am not sure what you mean by "high pressure" but these two will not unglue under any reasonable high pressure. Starline will be comming out with a "magnum" brass for the 45-70... should be released within a month.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<David Wile>
posted
I agree with everything Trapper said. Current 45-70 brass is 45-70 brass - at least the regular Remington, Winchester, etc. There is a company that makes really hot ammunition for the lever guns, and, because of nature of shells in a magazine tube, they are now manufacturing their brass with a small primer instead of a large primer. Their selling point is that the small primer will not be as likely to be set off by the flat point of the shell behind it. Their ammunition is VERY expensive. I reload my own and see no need to use their type of brass. Remington and Winchester will do me just fine.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the previous posters that modern .45-70 brass is plenty strong -- if there were any question about that, you wouldn't be seeing the likes of Hornady and Hodgdon publishing loads in the >50k psi range.

Perhaps you were thinking of Starline who sell .45-70 cases which, to quote their web page:

quote:
Has been tested at elevated pressures suitable for Magnum Heavy Hunting Loads in adequate gun systems.

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote