New
Find
Notify
Tools

A sad day in the reloading room
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
15 years ago I bought a 8 lb jug of IMR4895 salvaged from demilled military ammo. It has been stored in a climate controlled area. Every year I would open the jug and check the powder. No problems always a sweet smell of ether. That is until today! I had gone through all of my older 4895 and opened the jug to start loading. I was greeted by the acrid smell of nitric acid. The powder looked normal, no clumps etc. I poured some out on the ground and tried to light it. It only smouldered and sputered leaving a yellow residue. I have containers of powder that are older and in perfect condition. Very disappointed.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
15 years ago I bought a 8 lb jug of IMR4895 salvaged from demilled military ammo. It has been stored in a climate controlled area. Every year I would open the jug and check the powder. No problems always a sweet smell of ether. That is until today! I had gone through all of my older 4895 and opened the jug to start loading. I was greeted by the acrid smell of nitric acid. The powder looked normal, no clumps etc. I poured some out on the ground and tried to light it. It only smouldered and sputered leaving a yellow residue. I have containers of powder that are older and in perfect condition. Very disappointed.
Well, as HRC's husband might say, I share your pain: You did everything right and "right" didn't work.

I'd also wonder when it was manufactured and, importantly, how it had been stored before you obtained it.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right that is the key; it was likely salvaged from WW2 ammo and suffered since. Just bad luck.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Right that is the key; it was likely salvaged from WW2 ammo and suffered since. Just bad luck.

ConfusedAbout 15 years ago or so, I had the same problem. Found out that the 4895 during WWII was in great need and some of the rinsing was not done. Filled a 33 gal. container with water and dumped the 4895 into it. Spread the liquid on one part of my lawn and the solid residue on another part of the lawn. It took months of watering for the grass to grow back. 2020roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one similar but it didn't go bad.

I'd stopped loading n shooting due to being married to a bambi lover.

Stored at Dad's. He bought some dynamite and was going to shoot out a seep hoping to get a spring running from it.
Thinking: "the kid don't shoot or load anymore, this powder is 20+yrs old, get rid of it". He poured 18 lbs of 50 cent a pound 4831 in the hole with 5 sticks.

He'd hired a guy with a big loader to clean things up and dig a pond. HA! Quite a spring was running and he already had the pond from the blast!!

Couple years later I got back to loading and no powder. Then to replace it was $19.50lb. That little hole in the ground sure cost me dearly.

IF it stinks, dump on the lawn or garden.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That's the saddest story I ever heard; the married to a Bambi lover part.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
That's the saddest story I ever heard; the married to a Bambi lover part.

I'm afraid it's not only sad but very common. They are often fond of gardening, though, so might appreciate lawn fertiliser.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chose well and in my choice, I got lucky.

My bride of 55+ years does not hunt. But she does have a CCW, shoots handguns very well and supports my big game hunting, reloading, shooting, varmint hunting/shooting and purchasing what I want to pursue my passion.

I am blessed, and proud to admit it!

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, that "I quit reloading/hunting/shooting/etc cause I got married is bullshit. Didn't you talk to that woman before you married her.
Before I was married, I told my future wife, I like to hunt and I like to fish, if you hassle me about it, I'll still go, I just won't come back. Thus began a 45 year love affair.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pretty close to what I told mine too.

mine went more like.
I'm going, if you wanna go, be in the truck when it leaves.
if not then don't be in it.
either way I don't want to hear about it when I get back.
sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I told mine a couple of days after our first date, I hunt, I fish, I shoot guns and collect them every now and then, you want to go out on a second date? This past Sept we have been married 28 years. She does like to shoot and fish and does have her CCW also. And she also retired from the Air Force (22 years).
In a related happening to the OP's title I took a nice Doe today on opening day (My 19 year old Son got a big body three point) and undressing from my hunting gear downstairs I dropped my new bottle of Tinks Doe in Estrus on the floor and it broke into a few dozen pieces. My Son was out in the basement and heard me say "Oh s%$t", he ask whay did you break and when he walked in I didn't have to say anything. Fortunately I swabbed it up with paper towels and a whole new box of Carpet Fresh (pet version) took care of the smell.
Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15 yrs on 8lbs still pretty good mileage. How much was left?

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I agree guys. Outlived her 14yrs so far, after 29yrs. I gave up the bullshit about ten years before she died.

Kinda late in life now but, still looking for a hunter to tie a big diamond on. Been thinking pretty seriously about selling it and going hunting or something.

Wow, how does anyone get 15yrs out of ONLY 8lbs of powder?

Steve: HA!, Lucky dude, shoulda been skunk essence!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack the thread, but the other day I had to write 35K in property tax checks for my real estate biz. Ms AAZW asked how my day was and I said "Crappy; I just wrote 35K in checks."

She said, "For what?"

I said, "For down payments on hunts."

She said, "Well, that should make you happy!"

How many women would say that?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Not to hijack the thread, but the other day I had to write 35K in property tax checks for my real estate biz. Ms AAZW asked how my day was and I said "Crappy; I just wrote 35K in checks."

She said, "For what?"

Now there's a gal to ride the river with. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:

My bride of 55+ years does not hunt. But she does have a CCW, shoots handguns very well and supports my big game hunting, reloading, shooting, varmint hunting/shooting and purchasing what I want to pursue my passion.

Sounds just like mine B L but we're only at 49 yr. Plus I'll add she's a fantastic cook and still a knock out in a dress & hi heels. Ya, I got real lucky.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLVFX:
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:

Sounds just like mine B L but we're only at 49 yr. Plus I'll add she's a fantastic cook and still a knock out in a dress & hi heels. Ya, I got real lucky.
beer

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have powders many years old, and the only ones we had to throw out was Vihtavuouri.

Never had any problems with any other make.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66935 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first met my wife she already had a half-dozen guns in her safe including a NIB Win 94 in 7-30 Waters...she bought it on her 18th birthday because she could...and because it had pretty wood Cool. She also told me she'd never get mad at me for buying a gun or more than a few as it turned out. 18 years later she's still good with it and is truly a wonderful woman.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

She said, "For what?"

Now there's a gal to ride the river with. Smiler

++1

one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a 150 pound stainless steel canister with suction lock in top crated in two by four and x6s lumber..It was milsurp 4831, sometimes know as 4350 DATA powder...That jug was pre ww2 powder, the stuff that Jack O'Connor professed to be black magic and I agree to that..I still have the canister and lumber packing and 40 pounds of that stuff, it makes the 30-O6 and 270 cook like a magnum..You can read about those hot loads Jack used, but that's a comment by the uneducated...That powder gave him a 100 or more FPS at considerable less pressure than any powder on todays market..I reserve it for the .270 wcf. and its still clean and safe.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
My IMR 4895

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote