Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375H&H / 300gr A-Frame / H4350
 Login/Join

posted
Was thinking of developing a load for the using H4350. Has anyone had good luck with this powder? I have a very good load with IMR4350 but starts to break down when the gem gets over 95 degs F.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
78 grains gets 2575 f.p.s. and sub 1" groups out of my rifle. It's my go-to load!

That's a compressed load in old Winchester cases.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I load my .375 H&H with Reloader 15 and 300 grain Partitions and 300 grain Barnes TSX's, fast and accurate with max doses.
I load lots of IMR4350 in lots of cartridges and have never noticed any issues at hi temps? What are you experiencing?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:
78 grains gets 2575 f.p.s. and sub 1" groups out of my rifle. It's my go-to load!

That's a compressed load in old Winchester cases.

Thanks, I'll start a couple grains below that. Will be working with R-P cases. But I know IMR4350 in these cases will work at 78gr also. From what I can see H4350 is a bit slower burning, so should be safe.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I load my .375 H&H with Reloader 15 and 300 grain Partitions and 300 grain Barnes TSX's, fast and accurate with max doses.
I load lots of IMR4350 in lots of cartridges and have never noticed any issues at hi temps? What are you experiencing?

I use IMR4350 in a number of calibers too, a favorite go to powder. But once the temp here in Phoenix reaches about 95, accuracy starts to drop off and getting worse as it gets hotter from there. Have seen that enough times in enough calibers, I don't think it's a fluke. And with close to max loads, pressure signs start to appear if particularly hot.

I will be hunting in Burkina Faso next February when it will be fairly hot. I'm probably over thinking it as the accuracy drop off is not that bad and for buffalo ranges nothing to be concerned about. But it would be nice to have a load with a less temp sensitive powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was thinking of developing a load for the using H4350. Has anyone had good luck with this powder? I have a very good load with IMR4350 but starts to break down when the gem gets over 95 degs F.

You should be fine with H4350 in the .375 H&H. I have developed loads with IMR 4350 and H4350 ( AR 2209 here ) and found with identical charges H4350 gives a little more velocity. Also with 300 gn bullets it seems you can fill the case to maximum capacity without developing pressure signs ( my experience only. Take usual care in working up loads ). Also, recently manufactured H4350 is supposed to be temperature insensitive . I recall seeing results of trials showing hardly any ammo variance in hot temperature climates This is not the report I reference but still interesting http://precisionrifleblog.com/...reme-vs-imr-enduron/. )
Having said that RL15 is my go to powder for .375 H&H. H4350 was great for 300 gn bullets but for me RL15 works for everything from 270 to 350 gn with great accuracy. I have not had temp. issues on the few occasions when using my RL 15 loads.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2005 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first 40 years of my life was spent with surplus 4350 DATA powder, and Milsurp 4831..I'm still using whats left of a 150 lb. SS container marked US Military..I have maybe 40 lbs. left set aside for the 270 Win and 30-06 in memory of Jack O'Connor..Gets me about 100 FPS plus more velocity than any other powder and at lower pressure..My load is a full case (62 grs.) Don't try that with the new stuff, well you can't get 62 grs. of the new stuff in a case anyway, or I couldn't.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41791 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote