New
Find
Notify
Tools

Superperformance powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does any one know what type of powder Superperormance powder is Ball powder or stick powder
Daniel

Posts: 1475 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
It is a fine grain spherical powder, for all intents and purposes very much like a ball powder as far as metering etc, goes.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
And to add to that, it is an outstanding powder to boot!

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Superperfomance cought my attention when i fired 5 Hornady factory loads in my 375 ruger with a velocity of 2665 and a ES of 5 or 6 fps i might buy a box and pull the powder and work up my own loads and see what i can get.Currently im on the nose of 2700 with both R17 and H4350 /AR2209 behing the 300 gn partition

Posts: 1475 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I pulled a 139gr SST bullet from a factory Superformance 7mm-08 round and weighed the powder charge as 47.8grs. Over the chronograph from my 22" barreled Marlin I recorded 2,901 fps. The factory advertised velocity from a 24" barrel for the Superformance cartridge is 2,950 fps so this ammo is about spot on advertised velocity in the 7mm-08 cartridge at least.

With a 140gr Sierra SPBT over a less than maximum 47.0gr charge of H4350 I get 2,900 fps out of a 24" barrel Remington 700 so the Superformance powder is pretty close to H4350 burn rate in the 7mm-08.

BTW the powder is correctly named Superformance, not Superperformance. A little slight of hand in the spelling by Hornady to trip you up Smiler

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Superformance powder is pretty close to H4350 burn rate in the 7mm-08.

This is my experience as well. I use it in 708 and 7WSSM with heavy bullets. It is more dense than H4350 and I get a little more speed with it. It meters well and sometimes I don't bother weighing charges.

If you pull down ammo, the powder inside may not be the same thing you get from Hodgdon.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Superformance powder is pretty close to H4350 burn rate in the 7mm-08.

This is my experience as well. I use it in 708 and 7WSSM with heavy bullets. It is more dense than H4350 and I get a little more speed with it. It meters well and sometimes I don't bother weighing charges.

If you pull down ammo, the powder inside may not be the same thing you get from Hodgdon.

Yes well said, I would never try to duplicate a factory load by using the same charge weights even if using the same designated powder. I have always understood that ammunition factories purchase their powder in bulk lots and load to pressure and velocity specification. This way they maintain the specification of the ammo irrespective of any changes in characteristics of the powder in different lots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not assume Hornady Superformance ammo uses your canister grade Hodgdon Superformance powder.
There are about 40 NON CANNISTER grades of SUPERFORMANCE used by Hornady.

THINK about it a while.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ireload3:
Do not assume Hornady Superformance ammo uses your canister grade Hodgdon Superformance powder.
There are about 40 NON CANNISTER grades of SUPERFORMANCE used by Hornady.

THINK about it a while.

That has been duly noted in posts above and applies to any factory loaded ammunition powder. Factories do not load ammunition to a fixed recipe. They have to determine the characteristics of each bulk lot of powder they purchase then tweak the charge to achieve the pressure and velocity for a particular load using that powder lot.
Even handloaders should check their reload characteristics when changing lots, some take the time to do so, others don't, just loading the same charge tin after tin of powder long as it is branded and numbered same Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I mentioned is NOT a lot variation issue.
Hogdon manufactures a family of different Burning rate powders titled Superformance.

Just because Hornady markets Superformance ammo does not mean it uses the sole powder marketed with the Superformance name.

It is silly to expect that Superformance .444 Marlin ammo would use the same powder as Superformance .300 Win Mag ammo.