Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x284 load data/rifle project
 Login/Join

<rman>
posted
Im currently putting to-gether a 6.5x284
c/w with schneider 28"SS, blue printed 700 long action and HS tactical stock. I need any advice or hints on loads, powder preferences..etc Should I cut the bbl at 26, or finish at 28"?

<Don G>
posted
If the whole length is good barrel (no lapping wear at end), and you are trying for 1000 yards, leave it as long as you can stand.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5-284 barrel did not take as much pressure as some.I loaded 52g MRP(similar to RL 22)with the 140g Hornady and 54g Rl.19 with the 120g Sierra Match. You might email Mark at www.kailuacustom.com. He has a lot of experience with this and other 6.5 cartridges.
Sambubba

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Sako308>
posted
I have been able to get just over 3000 ft/sec with the 142 Sierra, and the 140 Berger, but the Hornady for some reason shows a bit more pressure. I shoot a 1 in 8 twist Hart also 28" on a Rem short action in an HS stock. I have found IMR 4831 to be best accuracy at top velocity, but am working with R22 this year for fun. The accuracy is in the .2's, and the ranging is amazing. Recoil is about like a .243 Sporter due to the weight of the rifle. I can only recomend that you work up your own loads, as there are no short cuts for accuracy or saftey. I have a fitted neck(.294) and the finished cases are about .002 under that dimension. Best long range shot so far was a double on P-dogs at 1245 & 1248... WOW. Good luck and enjoy the 6.5, it's a winner.

[This message has been edited by Sako308 (edited 04-25-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey rman, Just got a new catalog from www.wideners.com a couple of weeks ago. On the front page is a listing for Norma 6.5x284 cases $40/50, $74/100, $174/250 and $310/500.

I've not used any of the Norma cases myself, but I have a buddy in California who prefers them to any other case made for his shooting. He tells me their case-to-case weight consistency is just amazing. And he is of the impression that they last longer between annealings.

So, if you are making it for l-o-n-g range shooting, these might just interest you.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<rman>
posted
Hey HotCore..thanks for the info. I can attest to the consistency of Norma. My issue sniper ammo is Norma 168 match. It is outstanding..in fact gets the nod over Fed 168 match. Its expensive....but darn good stuff. Thanks again
Rman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey rman, Your welcome. In fact, it looks like you are getting some excellent information from all the above posters.

Not wanting to put a "hex" on your project, but I'm wondering if any of the guys that currently have the 6.5x284 have had any "Feed Problems"?

So, how `bout it guys? How well do yours Feed that short case with the steep shoulder angle?

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Hey
take a look at Norma's webpage www.norma.cc
there you will find reloading data and other good things. According to Norma the best bullet weight for 6,5-284 is 120-140 grain.
reloading 25 should give you a bit more speed with heavier bullets. I think tactical shooter had an article about the 6,5-284 some time ago. Good Luck