Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading, in this case .308 Win.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted
A buddy at work and I were talking about it. I reload a few calibers.

Used LC brass is 10 cents each.

I decap, then clean in SS media, 100 at a time.

Lube and resize, then clean again in a mineral spirit or gasoline (Imperial Sizing Wax).

Swage primer pocket (only once) then trim (also only once).

A 45 gr. charge of 748 is 19 cents based on a $30 pound of it. From an 8 pounder: about 15 cents.

Primer 3 cents, bullet (150 gr. FMJ BT) is 20 cents.

I'm at about 52 cents + or - a round. When the time and labor is added, he says I'm crazy for doing it.

True, a progressive press would cut down the time some, but I've searched and found what I thought was a decent brand of ammo priced at $550/1000, brass and boxer primed. Brand new LC 7.62 is about $1.10 /round, I think.

I will continue to reload because I do get a certain strange satisfaction out of it.

I would gladly welcome any and all comments from reloaders here.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldYou're on the right track, Joe.Store bought ammo seldom turns me on. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first started reloading, I figured out that I could reload 100 rds of 30-06 ammo (brass waw used or range pickup) for the cost of a box of 20 store bought. I told my wife about that and closed the books. Since then, I have bought several rifles with all the money I've "saved". Smiler
Shooting a head of game, or an excellent score on target with ammo you have crafted certainly adds a dementsion to the sport.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe, Another view.

Fed GM w/168 SMK, bought in bulk and shipped is about $0.85/pop. Probably more like $1/pop.

43 gr 748, 0.14 + primer, 0.03 + brass, 0.05 + 168 gr SMK, 0.35 = $0.57/pop.

Notes: Midway had unfired, primed LC pull-down at $0.20/piece. I figured brass cost using 4 loads total (= conservative), and ignored need for one less primer.

Time less an issue as am just retired.

So it depends on whether I'm making blasting ammo for the HK91 vs feeding the RPR. Am pretty much done making blasting ammo b/c my math agrees with yours.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
roger hit it on the head for me. I push aside any factory ammo for my reloads. It pays off better when you are shooting thousands of rounds a year. + I like dooin it and the satifaction

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm at about 52 cents + or - a round. $1.10 /round, I think.I will continue to reload because I do get a certain strange satisfaction out of it.

Or be like some of use who are still using powder, primers and bullets brought decades ago in bulk and are reloading same round for about 15 cents a round.

Or home cast bullet pistol rounds for 4 cents a round.

If I had to buy factory I could not have afforded to shoot the one thousand plus rounds I have or the last 50 years.

Heck that is only two thousand rounds a year I should multiply that several times.

Saved money I guess but then I just burnt up the savings shooting more.

And I do get satisfaction out of reloading.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply stated, you don't really save any money by reloading regardless of the math. BUT you get a lot more bangs for your bucks. More rounds= more shooting=better shot.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be off-topic so sorry.

I have not fired a factory loaded rifle round in over 50 years and money-savings has nothing to do with it.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much it costs me to reload most of my rifle cartridges.

I reload to have the best performing ammunition in my guns. I either load hunting or match ammunition for my bolt guns and cost is not a factor in that.

Ammunition is the smallest cost of any hunt and match ammo (1,000 yard F class) needs to be the accurate, period.

The only bulk reloading that I do that I could figure the cost per round is for the AR15 that my kids and I shoot at the range for fun.

8 Lbs bottles of BLC-2 are $150 - $170 when I find it on sale
Bulk FMJs are about $700/10,000
Primers at $.03
Hazmat and shipping (Hazmat $25-$30 for 60 Lbs, $60 for shipping) may add a penny per round

So I'm up to $.17 - $.18 per round (I get free 223 brass)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great thread here. I was hoping I would get reasons to reload instead of ways to save money and that's exactly what was delivered.

I very much appreciate the input here.

Zeke, you're an inspiration.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe:

I get bored with too much reading full time. For quite a few years I've cast bullets for the pistols by the 2 gallon buckets full. At one time I filled a 5 gal bucket over flowing and ran out before a year was up in the .38. I don't shoot much these days due to health issues.

Casting and loading is my winter hobby. Right now I need more SAW ammo can's than I do more reloads. I have 19 full now! Almost enough!
I've been doing it since 1958 when I was 14 and got into shooting. Dad and I shot our elk most years with them and I hunted muleys when he didn't, and we'd go for antelope when we drew a tag. Summers I loaded bulk 110gr in the '06 and shot thousands of prairie dogs with it before I got a .223.
Shucks, at times to use up "old ammo" and have some real fun, we even shot Dad's .375 at P/dogs. Don't take many with that to be enough.

In '97 I invited a guy from Wis, out for elk. He brought me 100 rds of various cal. factory ammo as a donation. After he left, I took 'em to a friends store and swapped them at his cost for reloading supplies. I wouldn't shoot factory if I had to give up shooting and my guns for good.

Wish you well, oh, and I load on a single press too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me an RCBS reloading setup 30-odd years ago, and it quickly brought a 2-inch rifle down to about 3/4 inch at 100 yards. I haven't adjusted the scope since, except to swap out a Redfield for a Leupold. There are also two 6mm rifles with non-standard calibers, each with its own virtues. With our new no-lead rules coming, they will have to be shot with reloads.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14362 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's fair to say that being able to reload and having the supplies necessary is a big step toward self sufficiency. And that's always a good thing.

Because I live near Los Angeles, getting out somewhere and pulling the trigger is a treat. I envy those of you who can either step out the back door or just drive a few minutes to try out a new load. My day will be coming though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my lifetime I've spent an awful lot of money on guns, women, and booze. All the rest I just wasted.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1054 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe from So. Cal.:
I'm at about 52 cents + or - a round. When the time and labor is added, he says I'm crazy for doing it.

Why does anyone cook their own food? What's an equipped kitchen cost? $20k? Then you have to pay property tax on it, hook up gas/water/electricity and pay for that, then you have to go drive around and buy ingredients. Then you have to spend a bunch more of your time preparing, cooking, cleaning, etc. etc.

So how much does it cost to make a bowl of soup, compared to a call to domino's? There must be a lot of crazy people.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why does anyone cook their own food? What's an equipped kitchen cost? $20k?

What world do you live in.

Must not be any where close to middle America.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Why does anyone cook their own food? What's an equipped kitchen cost? $20k?

What world do you live in.

Must not be any where close to middle America.

I lived in Iowa and know Minnesota and Wisconsin somewhat. I love the people of the Upper Midwest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be a "preper" but I consider having the means to assemble ammunition to be a virtue for someone living in So. California. Years ago I visited my dad in No. California and we were going to do a little shooting on his property, so while in town (either Vallejo or Napa) I stopped in a store to get some 9mm ammo. Because I wasn't a resident of the state, they refused sale. I got the impression that they figured I was a BATF plant trying to entrap them.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Might be off-topic so sorry.

I have not fired a factory loaded rifle round in over 50 years and money-savings has nothing to do with it.

Zeke

I thought about costs once or twice in 1969, but soon forgot about that side of reloading. I have purchased 3 boxes of factory ammo in the last 20 or so years, when I got a new gun and had no brass for reloads. I reload because I like to...

My Anchor holds...

Posts: 20 | Location: Southern Oregon Coast | Registered: 03 August 2014Reply With Quote