Find
Notify
Tools

Help with 280 AI Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Man - I'm having a bear of a time with developing loads for my daugther's 280 AI.

I'm not trying for the absolute fastest load, but something that get's me 1,500 lbs of energy at 500 yards; which is a 160 gr Nosler Accubond at 2,875 fps or a 150 gr Scirocco at 2,950 fps. I've also fiddled with 150 gr TTSX and 160 gr Partitions as well. I've used RL-23, IMR-7977, and IMR-7828SSC. I'm out of RL-26 and can't find it anywhere!

So, any experience with the bullets and powders above? I do have RL-22 and MRP I can run as well. And some IMR-4955 (supposed to be close to 4831).

24" Lilja barrel, 1:9, blue printed Remington 700 action, and a bedded carbon stock w/aluminum pillars.

Some observations:
1) 160 gr ABs at 3.330" and 59 gr of RL-23 were showing pressure signs; around 2,919 fps AVG; dropped to 58.0 gr and lost 100 fps, working back now with a new lot of RL-23.
2) The Sciroccos have grouped best so far with different loads of RL-23.

I've been tempted to try some of the Northfork 160 gr 7mm bullets I have, but they have LOW BCs and want this to be a 500 yard elk rifle. BUT, I've always had great success with Northforks on other loads (BTW - they are being manufactured in Sweden now).

Even thinking about some 160 gr Gamekings, though the 150 gr Gamekings I loaded and used to sight the rifle in didn't group either - which would be the FIRST time I've never had GK's group well. Ever. They are idiot proof bullets.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have you checked the loading data site on here. I didn't look, but wonder if they have the 280AI listed there. I use a straight up 280, in Namibia a few years (10 now, jeeese) and had great results.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a compressed load of 7977 with Nolser BT 150's with excellent results.

I'd have to look at my notes to be sure but I think I'm at about 3050 fps and I THINK it's with 63.5 grains but please don't load this unless you work up. I also went with the Fed 215 mag primers because of the stuffed powder amount and slow burn rate.

Your mileage may vary.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
I use a compressed load of 7977 with Nolser BT 150's with excellent results.

I'd have to look at my notes to be sure but I think I'm at about 3050 fps and I THINK it's with 63.5 grains but please don't load this unless you work up. I also went with the Fed 215 mag primers because of the stuffed powder amount and slow burn rate.

Your mileage may vary.

Zeke

Thanks - I have been thinking about 7977 w/Fed 215s.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I built my 280AI in 1998 on a Sako L61R action.

PM me for lots of loads and my detailed info before the days of common data.

I miced the base of every case for expansion to monitor pressure. I got 10 reloads from Winchester and Norma brass.

Here are a few

160 gr Accubond with N560 - Nosler book load gave me 3000+ fps

150 gr TSX & Corelokt with IMR 4831 gave me almost 3100 fps.

Re19 & N160 were also good

140 gr TSX & Corelokt with H4350 gave me 3200 fps

As you surely know, every rifle is different and you will need to work up your charges.

I had poor results with MRP, Re22, H4831 & H1000

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter My 280 AI is built on a FN action. Tried several of the new powders 7977,RL23 and 25,and found my highest velocity was with plain old IMR 4831 and best accuracy was with H 4831.I'll give up a few fps and a couple ft/lbs for the best accuracy at 500 yds

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well you found out the slow powders don't work.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info.

Per my note at top, not looking for the fastest. If I can get a 160 gr at 2,900 +/-, I'll be good.

Nosler's load data shows H4831SC as the most accurate powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A. H.,

I have been shooting and loading for a 280 AI in a Kimber Mountain Ascent for several years now. I tried RL22 and a few other powders, but finally settled on the good old fashioned IMR 4350.
The load I use is definitely on the warm side for my rifle, but it groups great for me. Do work up carefully.

280 AI Kimber Mountain Ascent
140 grain tipped Triple Shock (TTSX)
Fed GM 210 Match primers
58.0 gr IMR 4350
OAL = 3.33

My Oehler 33P show 3190 fps at 10" from the muzzle, and most days I can get 5 shots into less than 3/4". The first 2-3 shots typically into one ragged hole.

Occasionally I convince myself I need a higher BC, or a heavier bullet. I even bought some 145gr LRX bullets, but talked myself out of loading them. Why start shooting out a barrel looking for a load that really can't be improved upon?

I've killed several elk and mule deer with this load, a few at what most would call long range. I have convinced myself to leave well enough alone and just use the hell out of this load and rifle.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .280 is the standard version, not AI. It is a Sako with a 24.4" barrel. You don't state the barrel length of your rifle, which may have something to do with not reaching the velocities you seek.

I load 62 grains of IMR7828SSC under an obsolete Nosler 150 grain Solid Base bullet. It measures 3040 fps over my Oelher Model 35. Accuracy is excellent, and no pressure signs are exhibited.

However, every rifle is a rule unto itself, so digest this information in that light.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I built a 98 Mauser sporter in 280 AI back in the early 90's and have used IMR 4350 and Remington 150 gr bullets for years with fantastic results. I don't get top velocities because I can't seat the bullet out as far as most commercial rifles as I haven't modified the mag.

Steve..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
My .280 is the standard version, not AI. It is a Sako with a 24.4" barrel. You don't state the barrel length of your rifle, which may have something to do with not reaching the velocities you seek.

I load 62 grains of IMR7828SSC under an obsolete Nosler 150 grain Solid Base bullet. It measures 3040 fps over my Oelher Model 35. Accuracy is excellent, and no pressure signs are exhibited.

However, every rifle is a rule unto itself, so digest this information in that light.

I have 24" Lilja barrel, I stated that in my original note.

Yes, I am trying some 7828SSC as well. It's pretty close to yours: 60 and 61 gr at 2,939 and 2,987 respectively. So at ~50 fps per 1 grain, 62 gr would put at ~3,040, but with a 160 gr. Accuracy on the 60 and 61 loads were 1". I actually want to go lower on the 160 gr AB, around 2,875 fps. Want to optimize recoil for my daughter at my stated goal of 1,500 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards, which a 160 gr AB delivers at 2,875 fps lower altitude.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry that I overlooked your stated barrel length.

But it sounds as if you've found what you're looking for with the 7828. Drop to 59 grains and it should be right on your velocity goal. If both 60 and 61 grains deliver 1" accuracy, then I doubt that a grain less will be any different.

I've used Nosler Accubonds on both deer and elk. Performance has been exactly what most hunters desire, yielding ample penetration with appropriate expansion.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tag

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Sorry that I overlooked your stated barrel length.

But it sounds as if you've found what you're looking for with the 7828. Drop to 59 grains and it should be right on your velocity goal. If both 60 and 61 grains deliver 1" accuracy, then I doubt that a grain less will be any different.

I've used Nosler Accubonds on both deer and elk. Performance has been exactly what most hunters desire, yielding ample penetration with appropriate expansion.

Yes, I have a 59 and 59.5 gr 7828SSC load ready to go! Won't get to it for 2 weeks, however.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a bean field style rifle in 280 AI. Out of the long barrel I can get the 160 NAB moving out at 2950 fps with 58 gr. of RL-23 and 3085 fps with 63 gr. of RL-25. Both loads deliver 2" groups at 300 yards when I do my part. Still hoping for find some RL-26 one of these days.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnly:
I have a bean field style rifle in 280 AI. Out of the long barrel I can get the 160 NAB moving out at 2950 fps with 58 gr. of RL-23 and 3085 fps with 63 gr. of RL-25. Both loads deliver 2" groups at 300 yards when I do my part. Still hoping for find some RL-26 one of these days.

I think RL-26 would be nice. I need some for my 7mm Rem Mag as well. I will sign an affidavit stating I won't load a 6.5 Creedmor with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried Re26......

I like 4350_for 140g and 4831. For 168g. Hodgdon of course.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Man - I'm having a bear of a time with developing loads for my daugther's 280 AI.

What is the issue, just speed? I've had good luck with superformance, and it's usually available and cheaper than R26, H4350 etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id suggest RL-15 or 17, but add 5% to the std 280 book max load, and work up to your rifles max..Never start with someone elses recipe..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
A few points.

1) Energy is the least effective measure of killing an animal. I wouldn't spend 30 seconds about whether a load was delivering 1400 lbs or 1500 lbs of energy at 500 yards. But if that is your pursuit so be it and you may wish to consider the following.

2) I am not sure what calculator you are using but a 160 AB started at 2800 FPS (your OP states you can achieve this without pressure signs) is delivering 1601 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards and 1509 ft lbs at 550 yards.

So it appears your problem is actually solved.

3) When you are thinking about bullet selection, ranges, and killing effectiveness; you need to understand minimum impact velocity for that particular bullet. The Nosler AB LRs are designed down to 1300 fps impact velocity for expansion. Barnes very by caliber and bullet weight. So you should research your bullet of choice.

4) Lastly, I would select the highest BC bullet I could get to shoot accurately. Consider that the 168 Nos ABLR started at 2750 delivers 1559 ft lbs at 700 yards or consider dropping to the 150 Nos AB LR started at even at 2850, it delivers 1690 @ 500 and 1529 @ 600.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Just as an FYI even the 140 partition (with a relatively low BC of .434 by long range standards) started at 3050 fps is delivering 1493 ft lbs at 500 yards with retained velocity of ~2200 fps.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Have you tried H4350 or Re17? That will give less recoil with say 55 to 56 gr.

I would start at 54gr and work up. Check Nosler manual.

Your objective is very realistic and safe. You will be better off with H4350 or Re17, I feel.

FYI, I got great results with H4350, Re19 & N160 as well. All with 139, 145 & 150 gr bullets.

I just checked and now realise we corresponded on this by email. You will see my AR 2209 loads, which is H4350.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote