Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag Loads w/RL-26
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Starting on some loads for my friend's 300 WM.

Limited COL due to magazine, 3.350"

Want to use RL-26. Have 180 gr TTSX and Sciroccos; and 200 gr Aframes and Paritions.

Recommendations?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,
My load for RL26 with Barnes TTSX 180 gn:
Powder: RL26
Charge: 77.50 gns ( slightly compressed )
Primer: Federal 215 Magnum
Bullet: Barnes TTSX 180 gn
Case: Norma
COAL: 85.00 mm
Av. Vel.: 3040 fps

Rifle is Tikka T3X with True Flite 24 inch barrel, 1:10 twist
The RL26 load above is warmish and gives slightly flattened primers but no split necks or blown primers so far ( several hundred shots ). Accuracy is very good and consistent.

I tried 180 gn Siroccos but no joy. The other bullet my rifle likes is Hornady ELD-X 178 gn with AR2213sc ( H4831 sc ). Can send details if you're interested.

Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks a million!

Same rifle my buddy has! Factory mag is only 3.370 inside length, so really constrains. My other buddy's rifle I'm loading for is a Savage precision rifle - LONG magazine.

The 180 gr TTSX was also the only bullet I could get my 300 WBY to shoot (with MRP).

I'll start and work up.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem.
The Tikka TX3 I bought had a 1:11 inch twist factory barrel and quite a long throat, and yes, the magazine length restricts COAL to around 3.370 inch or only slightly longer. All my loads must fit the magazine. I couldn't get it to shoot 180 gn bullets so after about 300 shots I rebarrelled with the True Flite 1:10 inch twist and shorter throat, and voila, it became a sweet shooter. I'm sure I just had a poor barrel as usually Tikkas shoot very well straight off the shelf.
If you have them it probably wouldn't hurt to try some loads with 165 gn bullets as well since you are working up loads anyway. Alliant's data shows RL26 in loads for 165 to 175 gn bullet weights in addition to heavier bullets.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
No problem.
The Tikka TX3 I bought had a 1:11 inch twist factory barrel and quite a long throat, and yes, the magazine length restricts COAL to around 3.370 inch or only slightly longer. All my loads must fit the magazine. I couldn't get it to shoot 180 gn bullets so after about 300 shots I rebarrelled with the True Flite 1:10 inch twist and shorter throat, and voila, it became a sweet shooter. I'm sure I just had a poor barrel as usually Tikkas shoot very well straight off the shelf.
If you have them it probably wouldn't hurt to try some loads with 165 gn bullets as well since you are working up loads anyway. Alliant's data shows RL26 in loads for 165 to 175 gn bullet weights in addition to heavier bullets.

my friend was shooting Barnes factory TTSX 180grs(COL 3.300") and could shoota clover leaf - so hopeful with my load. Can always shorten if neccessary. If thie 180gr TTSX doesn't shoot, plan to try the 200 gr Aframes and Partitions I have. I've only been able to get 180 gr Sciroccos to shoot well in my buddy's 30-06 T3.