THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Who makes a 180 gr.red tipped .308 bullet without a cannalure.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes a 180 gr.red tipped .308 bullet without a cannalure.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a couple of hundred .308 caliber red plastic tipped bullets, 180 gr. BTSP, without a cannalure that I cannot identify, any help would be apprecieated

Here is what Ive gleaned:

Cannot be a Nosler as the red tip indicates it would be a .284 bullet..

cannot be a Hornady SST because it has no cannalure..

Cannot be a Accubond as all Accubonds are white tipped..

Perhaps its a discontinued bullet, but Im at my wits end trying to identify it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You sure its not an older a-max?

Posts: 10600 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady Interbond....??
Hornady ELD-X, ELD-M....??

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Is it precisely 180 gr or 178?

If 178, could be Hornady ELD-Match or ELD-X as 30.06king wrote.

If 180, it could be Hornady Interbond.

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well looks like it might be a Hornady Interbond, according to Jeri's pictures and 30-03Kings suggestion, they have no cannalure and show a red tip, but the ogive seems different than the picture, but Im going to go with that..I use Hornady Interlocks from time to time but never in that configuration, always a flat base or a BTSP with a cannalure such as the SST..Thanks for the help...I sectioned one and it seems pretty much a cup and core Interlock..so it must be...nothing else matches my description...

CRB,
Not sure what an older A Max looks like? My experience with Hornaday has been limited to the flab base Intl.s and excellent game bullet, shot the SST a bit, but never on game.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Can you measure the length of the bullet?

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
The ogive looks different because all hornady's regardless of caliber or weight, have the red tip.

It's been my experience that the Interbond was simply too tough of a bullet for deer size game. I plugged a few with a 150gr in a 308 and they seemed to pencil in and out. Very little blood trail. SSTs and Interlocks are another story. Two of my favorites.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler/Combined Technologies 308,180grain Accubond is a Red tip. This is loaded in the Winchester Supreme (black box line).i do not think think it is sold as as a component bullet. All it it is, is an Accubond.

All Winchester Accubond loads are red tipped regardless of caliber.

Posts: 10837 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the opposite problem with the interbonds.
they acted like the soft SST bullets do and ruined half the meat.

maybe I was pushing them too fast.

just to confuse the pot some more here.

you might have got some factory seconds quite often bullets that should have cannelures don't and some that don't normally have them end up with them.

they can also have slightly different ogives if they are from the setup process, where the equipment isn't fully adjusted or up to temperature yet.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lamar,

Yesterday I was in my bullet boxes, I never throw stuff like that away...Low and behold I found the box those bullets came in..

They were labeled Nosler AB 30 180SP, hunter orange tip, factory seconds, AB01893, 50 per box...I SPLIT one and THEY ARE ACCUBONDS, probably first year of production or whatever..Lord knows when I bought them but its been a number of years..

Im going to call Nosler and get the scoop,if they are the same and as good I will hunt with them..

You must have been really making them cook, Ive used them in the 225 gr. .338 and the 200 gr. 30-06 and 8x57 and 8x60, and witnessed my grand son in law use them on deer in my 257 Robts and his 30-06, 140 gr. in my 7x57...All my results have been the same as the partition and perfect with complete penetration part of the time depending on angle of the shot..

They are basically just a Balistic tip with a soldered core, and respond just like any other bonded core bullet Ive used..but as you can see Im not pushing them much past 2700 to 2800 in any of these calibers..exception is the 225 gr Accubond at 2913 fps,in my .338 Win. and that's not all that fast..well, not many push their .338 Win to that velocity, but its a safe max in my gun.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
That's great information. The only red tipped nosler I have even seen was 7mm cal BTs. Thanks for enlightening me.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady Interbond.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 70,

The bullets are orange tipped Nosler Accubonds, Nosler verified that..I also discovered the box they were in and they are Nosler seconds, no longer in production, They said shoot them they work as well just had a color change.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot those Nosler 180 Accubond seconds with orange tips in my .300 H&H. A cow elk hit with one shot the last time I used the rifle can attest to their efficacy.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks stonecreek, that's the kinda of information I needed...I will use them for elk this year, just got back in but the elk are not down yet they are hanging tough on top, and top in Idaho is way up yonder, and I have two cow tags to fill, so waiting for them to come to the fields on my friends ranch down the road a piece...I have all of Oct and all of December I believe to get'er done.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120