New
Find
Notify
Tools

170gr. noslers
 Login/Join

<Gary>
posted
Some months ago I bought some Flat nosed 170gr. nosler boatails in the solid base. I believe they are .30-30 bullets. I plan on using them in my '06. I can't find any load data on this type oe load, but figure on using data from 180gr. bullets. What do ya think? Am I asking for trouble? Or has anyone out done this before. I'll use them for hunting apps. deer mostly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, have you considered using the load data on Hornady's 168 gr BTHP or the 165 gr BTSP? There are a variety of powder's so I need you to indicate the powder brand.

Also, the VihtaVuori manual depicts load charges for a FMJBT of 170 gr for the Lapua bullet. These of course utilize the VV powders (N140, N540, N150, N550, & N160).

Let me know what powder you wish to use and I can give you a heads up.

Best regards,
Alex

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
You could e-mail Nosler and ask them.
www.nosler.com I find most companies are quite helpfull. Fuzz

<Don G>
posted
Gary,
Your plan to use the 180 grain data is a good and safe one.

One concern I would have is how rapidly the bullet will open. If it is made for 30-30 velocities it may not be tough enough for 30-06 velocities. I think it would be OK for broadside or frontal chest shots, but would steer clear of any going away shots.

Don

<'Trapper'>
posted
Gary:
Have never loaded the Nosler 30/30 bullets in the '06 but have loaded a LOT of the Hornady 30/30 bullets in both 30-06 and 308 Winc. Don is absolutely correct in his statement about not driving them too fast - I loaded to about 2450 fps and with a good solid neck shot this will almost decapitate a whitetail.
Now for the drawbacks on the downside: The trajectory will just about match the 30/30 and they never showed much promise in thick brush. I suspect the added speed caused them to upset and deflect more than they would have at slower speeds but never really tested this out with the 30/30, etc.
I am reluctant to quote load data as too many things can go wrong with data entry etc but we used 40gr of IMR 3031 and 43gr of IMR 4895 - I would try and run some of these through the chrono and see what speed the loads developed and then go from there until I had something around 2450fps - about 350-400 fps more than the 30/30. I don't think you will want more speed than this.
Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot.
Best regards,

------------------
'Trapper'

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested to find out how things go. I'm going to try some of the 120gr FP solid bases designed for the 7-30Waters in my 7x57 at start load speeds. If they're a similar POI with my heavier RN Hornadies I'll use them on small deer. I reckoned they'd hit a Roe pretty hard with that big flat point.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary>
posted
Well I figured on using what powder I have on hand. Right now I have IMR 4064, AA2700, and RL-22. I figured the 180 data would be better than 165 because of the B.C. Thought the 180 would be a better fit. So if the bullets keyhole or don't do what I want then they weren't a bargain after all. The best part of reloading is the expermention. That's possible. Thanks for everything. Anymore help will appreciated.

<BigBores>
posted
Gary,

I've used the 150 and 170 gr remington flat noses in a 30-06. Work good for camp meat or rabbit loads. Killed a Javelina with the 150. I was keeping the velocity down to "max" 30/30 levels, but that was kind of the point of the whole thing. I think Fuzz is right about Nosler though, call or e-mail them, I've never known a component company that wouldn't help a reloader with starting load questions. Kind of covers their butts for liability I think.