New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun On The Lathe
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Made my own brass for he our new wildcats in 12 and 14 calibers.

Bullets are 14 caliber, next to a 243.

Case is very similar to the 221 Remington Fireball, next to a 375 caliber 300 grain bullet.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about some pic's of the rifles?

Which .12 & .14 calibers do you have or are they your own brand?

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Have not built them yet.

Waiting on reamers.

I am actually looking at cutting the chambers with my CNC lathe.

This really should not be too much of a problem.

But, finding a boring bar small enough is.

My tools catalog lists a 5mm boring bar as the smallest available.

I have ordered one, and will see if it is possible to modify it.

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Admit it, you’re gearing up to hunt Coronavirus with those itty bitty bullets.
Are you going to build a scaled down version of your two safari rifles for your new cartridges?
jumping

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion, Saeed, for what its worth- you may want to simply rough bore all but the small diameter throat and get a finish reamer made.

I'm going to watch this project! Looks like real fun.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just ream the neck and throat and bore the rest of the chamber. That is what I would do.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
Admit it, you’re gearing up to hunt Coronavirus with those itty bitty bullets.
Are you going to build a scaled down version of your two safari rifles for your new cartridges?
jumping

Very funny!

I have several actions I can use.

I have some Anscutch and Sako small actions perfect for these.

Problem is I have absolutely no idea how to make a reamer.

Finding a suitable boring bar would make my life so much easier.

As I can cut the chamber on the CNC lathe with precision.

We had a good laugh yesterday, as when I was turning those .14 caliber bullets, one had to look very carefully for them in all the small bits and pieces that fall into the parts tray.

Not so yesterday as I making .585, .620 caliber bullets.

They fall into the parts tray with a very loud CLUNK, and one cannot miss that very large 1,000 bullet rotflmo

I will post photos later.

Administrator
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
It is simply great tu2

BTW you use constant cutting speed strategy, aren't you?

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
It is simply great tu2

BTW you use constant cutting speed strategy, aren't you?

Jiri

No.

Depends on the operation.

This video I took at 30% normal speed, without lubricant.

I brought it up to 100% in software afterwards.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, AR delivers again.

Our own member here, Dave Manson, has offered to make the reamers.

Much appreciated offer, and once I have finalized our design, I will ask him to make.

Thank you very much Dave!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fellow in CO/Spgs made some
extra long pointed bullets very
similar to what those look like.
He had hell making them shoot
very accurately. Good luck!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Problem is I have absolutely no idea how to make a reamer.

PO Ackley had a method to make a wildcat reamer. Basically you turned a solid unfluted reamer out of steel. Then you milled half of it off right down the midline. I don’t recall how he dressed the lead edge and I think he said that it didn’t need to be hardened if you were only planning to cut one chamber. He said that this “single flute” reamer cut a very smooth chamber and the only drawback was that it took a lot of force to drive it into the barrel.

It’s been a long time since I read his explanation so I may have the entire thing messed up.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
And I have to say that having Dave Manson make you a reamer is the best way to go. I have only dealt with Dave once, but it was the best experience I have ever had dealing with anyone on anything fun related. He is an outstanding individual and if I ever need anything that I can source through him I won’t even think of doing business with anyone else.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote