Notify
Tools

Short barreled .338 WM loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted
Howdy all,

I've been trying to glean info off of the net to find some pet loads, powder for my Sako carbine. I've found responses from use your normal .338 recipes to tailoring loads using faster powders. Many theoretically based. If any of you with real life experience care to share what has or hasn't worked for you, I'd appreciate it. Looking to start with RL-15.
Thanks,
Gary.

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The labradar will show that medium/low powders will produce higher velocities with longer AND shorter barrels.

RL-22, 17 & 19, and the powders in the 4350-4831 in all brands seem to work well in the 338.

I've used IMR4350, IMR4831, RL-17 & 19, all with excellent results over the years.

Honestly, pick one, see how it shoots, load up and have fun.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
This my fourth .338 WM. All others had/ have 24"-26" tubes. I have a plethora of data to try if I wanted to go that route. This is why I specifically asked for any real experience loading for short bbled .338's.

Thanks.

Gary

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My real experience with short-barrel 338 WM is limited to having just purchased one, still waiting for it to ship. Frowner

That being said, calculus and physics dictate that the powder giving best velocity in a long barrel will also give the best performance in shorter barrels.

Faster powders might reduce muzzle blast and flash, an issue for all barrel lengths, but more pronounced in shorter barrels.

Hopefully I will have data to share sooner rather than later. I have the dies, brass, and 210 TTSX bullets. Trying to find some H4350, but I do have Rl-15 and Varget on hand, will be buying some HV100 this afternoon. I have CFE223 also, but it's not very temp stable.

Good luck!

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you as well. That is my goal, reducing muzzle blast while maintaining acceptable velos. I realize it is all semantics, as loud is loud. With component availability at a minimum, capitalizing off of others knowledge is also pragmatic..
What model .338 did you order?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had a 20" Ruger. I used 210Part and 225accubonds. I ended up using H414 for both.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GoWyo:
"This my fourth .338 WM. All others had/ have 24"-26" tubes. I have a plethora of data to try if I wanted to go that route. This is why I specifically asked for any real experience loading for short bbled .338's."

If you're expecting someone to give you a specific load that shoots well in your rifle at a specific velocity with your short barrel, you're sadly mistaken. That's the real-world.

I've used a 20' barrel 338 WM but sadly it was before I had a chronograph or radar so that's no help to you again. I too have had 4 different 338 WM starting in 1976 when first used in Alaska. I'm on my 5th and last, maybe.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ramrod,
H414! Perfect. I'll check it out. I have gobs of various brands and weights of bullets. My other Sako loves Nosler 210 Partitions. This Sako Carbine is sporting an 18.5" stub, so I'll be looking at the quicker burning powders. As I may see real-world velocities up to 200 fps less than the better endowed brother, I'll probably lean to heavier bullets. Who knows, I may try the 160 gr. Barnes on Whitetails. Although I have an AII carbine in 308 that fits that bill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoWyo:
Good luck to you as well. That is my goal, reducing muzzle blast while maintaining acceptable velos. I realize it is all semantics, as loud is loud. With component availability at a minimum, capitalizing off of others knowledge is also pragmatic..

Savage 57043 110 Brush Hunter. I also put a deposit down on a Leupold VX-5 2-10, they are out of stock most everywhere.

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Nice combo! Good luck! I've got a 1.75x6 and 2.5x8 Leupolds to pick from. A 30 mm LPVO might be nice, too.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My friend bought a ruger 338 with a 20 inch barrel last year; it was horrendous in recoil and noise for him; we promptly put a 24 inch barrel on it and the difference is like night and day. Velocities are not the issue.
As for powders for a short barrel; the faster ones will produce less muzzle blast; less of it is used; Personally I think 414 and the like is a step in the wrong direction. But yes you will get more speed from them. But if someone wanted max speed they wouldn't have chosen a short barrel anyway. No animal notices the difference; only humans know the difference.
In my book, a 20 inch 338 is not a good thing. Of course no one reads my book.
338-06 would be a better choice for a short barrel.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Lol, I guess you should have told Sako @1971, I think they still sell short bbl'ed magnums. Variety is the spice of life. I was fully aware of what I was getting into when I bought it. I'm sure there are thousands of carbine shooters that did and do as well.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thousands of 338 WMs? I rarely see them. I'm not saying they aren't out there; just that they can pose issues for some shooters. Others, ignore the drawbacks.
I love Mannlichers; just not in mags.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
D, you put words in my posts, just like Zeke. I said "magnums"- .264 WM, 7mm RM, .300 WM, .338 WM, .375H&H. They made them in L61R, AV, L691, 75, 85. Carbines, Handy rifles, Battue, Kodiak, Grizzly, Bavarian...so not that rare. It wouldn't surprise me if there aren't a few 416 RM out there.

Gary.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
it was horrendous in recoil and noise for him

He didn't happen to live in Florida did he?

I took a factory ruger cut it to 20" then turned down the barrel and stuck it in a light stock. Why to build a light mountain elk rifle. The recoil was terrible and the muzzle lift made a follow up shot very difficult. Used it one season. Then sold it to a guy in Florida telling him about the recoil. Only thing I heard back was that I wasn't kidding.

Replaced it with a 340PDK basically a Gibbs lot more pleasant.

I ended up with 414 simply because that barrel loved it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is my goal, reducing muzzle blast while maintaining acceptable velos. I realize it is all semantics, as loud is loud. With component availability at a minimum, capitalizing off of others knowledge is also pragmatic..

I own several short barreled rifles. My friends and family have several more.

You have a short barrel large case capacity.

Lots of muzzle flash, lots of noise more perceived recoil.

If I wanted a shorter over all rifle in 338wm. I would buy a Ruger No. 1. with a standard barrel length.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
I had my reasons for buying this.

Sako AV Kokotukki

one of us
posted Hide Post
Long ago before the advent of the chronograph, it was stated fact that fast powders gave more veocity than slow burners...That was infact bull shit..even in the 270 IMR-4831 gave the highest velocity along with many others at least on my two chronographs and test with 18,5 and 20 inch barrels..Also in me trapper carbine all things even..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote