Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced Loads
 Login/Join

<7mmMag>
posted
Hey Guys,

I need your help again. I was wondering if anyone had a reduced load for fire forming cases for a 7mm mag. I am getting a new batch of Norma brass and I don't want to waste a bunch of power forming them with heavy loads. I am open to using any types of bullets and powder. Thanks!!!

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I've used 13 or 14 grains of Red Dot with a middle-weight (130-150gr) bullet for a reduced load.

I am not sure, but I think the pressure might be a bit too low for complete fire-forming...

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<RGB>
posted
TRY USING ABOUT 20.0GRS OF SR4759 WITH 130GR BULLET.OUT OF 24 INCH BALLEL IT SHOULD GIVE YOU 1700 FPS,MORE THAN YOU NEED TO FIREFORM CASES.LOOK AT PAGE 245 IN SPEER #12 MANUAL.YOU MAY HAVE TO PUT A LITTLE DACRON OVER POWER TO HOLD POWER AGANCED FLASH HOLE THIS IS TO KEEP POWER IN SAME PLACE AND HAVE SAME PRESSURE SHOT AFTER SHOT.iTS AN OLD REDUCED LOAD FOR SHOOTING BUT WILL WORK FINE FOR YOUR NEEDS. .RGB.

<Don G>
posted
Remember to seat the bullets long enough that they are jammed into the lands to hold the case against the bolt head.

I'd use an inexpensive bullet. (Seconds or blems would be great.)

I'd choose the 160 grain Speer (or whatever) so I could seat it long enough to jam into a factory throat and still have some base in the case neck.

I'd use a magnum primer so I didn't have to mess with the wadding.

I'd use Hodgdon Universal Clays because it is cleaner than most pistol powders.

I'd use 22 grains of the Universal, so that I'd get 1900 fps and close to 50,000 PSI, and the case is fully formed.

...but that's just me!

[Pardon me for teaching my grandfather how to suck eggs.]