New
Find
Notify
Tools

seating depth issue
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
am starting to do load development for a new barrel: in order to get the bullet anywhere close to the lands, it leaves only about 1/3rd of the neck in contact with the bullet. So only choice in seating is plenty of bullet/neck contact or reasonably close contact of the bullet to the lands. this is a hunting rifle for coyotes, so reliable feeding is important, as well as accuracy. Any experiences any of you had with this situation? thank you.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
As a rule, I like to have at least one caliber of the bullet length inside the neck.

In my own experience, I found very little difference in accuracy due to seating depth.

For hunting rifles, I seat the bullet to the maximum over all length, if that would feed.

If not, I seat them deeper.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
The "jump" into the rifling will not be a problem. All or Roy Weatherby rifles have chambers that have the bullet jump into the rifling and they shoot very well indeed.
Two my my Varmint rifles have chambers/ leads like yours and they both shoot very accurately out to 800 yards with no issues.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 444 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All true, however, I have loaded rounds for long throats with only .1 inch seating depth, in order to use more powder capacity.
No issues noted and I've done it for 4 decades now, especially in a 257 Ruger with a long throat. I can't publish the velocities I get, no one would believe it. I use 25-06 load data.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I favor reliable function to outmost accuracy that seating the bullet close to the rifling might give me. Much has been said by many about seating close to the rifling but most of my rifle cannot feed through the magazine with those type of seating lengths and I cannot be bothered to lengthen the magazines for what little I might gain in accuracy, the few rifles that I seat the bullets comfortably to the lands are single shots so feeding is not an issue.

Posts: 397 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote