New
Find
Notify
Tools

165 grain bullet for 303 savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wondering if it would be safe to use 165 grain bullet for the 303 savage,since there is no Data for the 165 grain. I was thinking to take the 170 grain bullet data and backing off a grain or two, What do you guys think???

Posts: 114 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
What rifle are u using. Confusedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use 30-30 bullets that are designed for lower velocities and have a softer lead core. The Hornady 150 of 170 grain bullets would be my first choice.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Use the 170 gr. data , you'll be fine. The Savage was originally developed for the 190 grain bullet. Canadians liked it better than the 30/30 for its deeper penetration on moose. Are you planning on using the Hornady 165 gr. flex-tip?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2264 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a savage model 99 in 303 I have some old Remington corelokts in the 165 grain. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 114 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you'll be fine using 170 grain data for a 165 grain bullet. The .303 Savage data generates pressures well below the working strength of either the brass or the 99's action. Although an increase in pressure wouldn't be expected, there is ample margin to absorb whatever pressure difference might arise.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,Thank you for info,I thought it would be safe,I knew I could count on one you guys for expert advice. It never hurts to ask if you are not sure.