New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL 10x in a medium bore? (30/30)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've recently inherited a handful of guns from my wife's family. Among them is a Marlin 30/30. While I have no need for this gun, there is sentimental value involved, plus just the fact that handloading is fun and I'd like to find a load for it that shoots. So far I've tried 3 different powders, which are all in the neighborhood of 10x, but don't produce good groups. Coincidentally the same powders don't shoot worth a hoot in my 22-250, but 10x shoots tiny little groups. As a result, I'm wondering if it'll do the same in the 30/30. The problem is that there isn't any kind of data out there that I can find for 10x in a 30/30. Judging by the burn rate, pressure information etc. I should be able to come up with a sensible load, but before I go down that road I thought I'd see if someone had already tried it.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Alliants 10x is in between RL-7 and RL-15 in burn rate. The problem is that it's new, so there won't be much data.

You might try IMR 4895 or IMR 4064 for loading your 30-30.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10X data is few and far between. I contacted Alliant awhile back and the tech told me that I can use H322 Data for 10X. As always start low and work up.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking gentlemen. You took the words right out of my mouth in regards to Alliant's data, or lackthereof.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used 33.5 grains of R-10 in my 94 26", 38-55 with sierra 200 gr FN jacketed bullets seated so an OAL is 2.500 in a ww case w/ cci 200 primers...and lee crimp...same hole @ 50 yards....BLR

Posts: 6 | Location: usa | Registered: 22 June 2006Reply With Quote