New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military crimp qeustion.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok I use the rcbs swager that is used with the press. My question is, What do you guys think the best way to remove the crimp? I heard of using a deburrer, a drill bit, and a few other tools to use. Whats the method you use and why. I got both 22 and 30 caliber brass. I did about 1000 cases with the swager.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the swager because it gives a more rounded profile and easier seating.

Posts: 3662 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both the RCBS and Dillon and without a doubt I prefer the Dillon.

A bent rod or two on the RCBS were promptly replaced at no cost however a pinched finger with it and the relative slowness compared to the Dillon makes it an easy choice.

I have pumped at least 4k or 5k Lake City cases through the Dillon p[rimer pocket swager and it works flawlessly.

Gary

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have used both swaging and cutting methods; much prefer the cutting method.

Posts: 17067 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm fine with just pushing the metal back where it come from.
I have the rcbs tool too.
never use it since I got the Dillon, but I have it.

Posts: 4964 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Cutting method 2nd cutter from the left for mil. prime pockets.
easy and fast mounted in a RCBS case prep machine.
https://www.amazon.com/Frankfo...mer+pocket+uniformer

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
Ok I use the rcbs swager that is used with the press. My question is, What do you guys think the best way to remove the crimp? I heard of using a deburrer, a drill bit, and a few other tools to use. Whats the method you use and why. I got both 22 and 30 caliber brass. I did about 1000 cases with the swager.

Keep using your RCBS swager if you don't have hundreds of cases to do. The Dillon swager is better for doing big batches.

The hand reamers are for reloaders that are into self abuse and love sore bleeding fingers.

I cheat and buy my 7.62 and 5.56 cases from BrassBombers that are already preprocessed.

.223/5.56 - Cleaned, Deprimed & Swaged - LC Only - 200 Pieces $22.00 free shipping
https://brassbombers.com/223-5...Pieces-5LC-SSP20.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

this. in a drill press.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well thanks guys, i thought about getting the Dillon also but i only do maybe 20 or so cases at a time. Only when i find them here and there.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS unit and a Dillon swager.

They both do the job but for doing a lot of brass or just doing a few the Dillon gets the nod.

It's worth the 100.00.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the little hand driven gizzie that cuts the crimp out. Low tech, low price. I sit in front of the TV with two bowls; one's empty and the other is full of brass with crimps. As I watch TV, I trim the primer pocket and drop it in the empty bowl. Soon I'm finished.
Not as fast maybe but speed isn't what I'm striving for.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've swaged thousands of military crimped primer pockets with the RCBS swager die. I have it mounted in another press. Size on one press and move the same case to the swaging press. I have bent the swager rod but successfully straightened the rod and it's still going. Many 30-06 cases have been swaged also. I bought the RCBS bench mounted swager I found on sale and have tried it but still prefer the RCBS swaging die. Don't like cutting out the crimps and especially not reaming. Reamers follow the least resistance and irregular crimps may cause a reamer to cut pockets out of round. I have heard that the Hornady cutter to cut out crimps works well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally found the best way of dealing with them is to sell them to the scrap dealer.

Or sell them to someone to thinks military brass is the next thing to slice bread.

Posts: 19335 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
milsup brass is some good stuff. But, whether you choose to use it or not is up to you. However, knowing HOW to prep it is something worth knowing.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

this. in a drill press.

I've also used both methods, and this by far is the simplest and quickest.

I bought a countersink drill bit for a few bucks at the hardware store. Chuck the bit in a drill press (or electric drill), turn the drill on, hold the case in your hand and press it against the bit for about a second, and you're done.

Not enough brass is removed from the base of the case to harm it, and primers seat easily. Quick, easy, simple, cheap, and effective.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In truth I used the end of an LE Wilson deburring tool (RCBS) until I bought Lyman's wooden handled tool. I have the RCBS swager but never used it.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote