New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norma oryx
 Login/Join

<Eirik>
posted
I have been bugging Christer larson at the Norma factory on a annually basis for quite some time, asking for their excellent Oryx bullet in 9,3mm and 286grs. Standard answer has always been that it is coming soon.

Great news!

I read in a magazine the other day that Norma have displayed this particular bullet at this years shot show!

Is this true? Does anyone know something more about this? What about all of you swedes hangin' around this forum?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Eirik!

Christer Larsson is a really nice guy and I whish he could have more influense on how things are run at Norma........

Norma have a bad habit of marketing products that are inpossible to buy, at least here in Sweden. I understand that it�s tempting to get things out on the market as soon as possible. But to keep saying "it�s coming soon" is a bad way to gain popularity.

The "coming soon" statment have been around for things as the 6 PPC cases, .404 Jeffery cases and 6,5/.284 cases for example.

I�m waiting for the 286 gr. oryx as well

Good shooting.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<K9>
posted
You might be waiting on it but I'm not.....
At the same time as norma will start making the oryx in 286 grains they will stop making it in 232 grains. For me, living in the more southern parts of sweden, the 232 is quite a good compromise between power and trajectory (we often hunt moose and roedeer at the same time).
Ok, I admitt to having used 286 grains on roedeer at around 240 meters but still......

one of us
posted Hide Post
K9

That�s bad news! The 232 gr. Oryx is a very good bullet that give a little flatter trajectory just like you say. I have used the 232 gr. Oryx for moose only but I like it a lot. Better try to get some 232:s before they are all gone then.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<treb>
posted
Hello.
I am from england, and don't know about the Oryx, but can any of you in Sweden please help me?
Do Norma still make the 77gr Soft point in 6.5mm? I use a 6.5x55Swe and this bullet was superb for both fox and muntjac aswell as Roe out in the open fields.
Regards
Treb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi treb!

Sorry, I don�t think Norma are making the 77 gr. SP any more.

The Oryx is a bonded core bullet similar to Woodleigh or SAKO hammerhead for ex. The Oryx bullet are avalible in 6,5 mm, 7 mm, .30", 8 mm and 9,3 mm. The limited results from testing and recovered bullets from game and wet newspaipers really looks good to me. Good expantion and high retaining weight. The precision is good in the calibers I tried (6,5 mm, .30" and 9,3 mm). The 6,5 bullet is a 156 gr so it�s not really anything close to the old 77 gr SP you use. Have you tried the 85 gr Sierra Varminter in your Swede? It�s a very accurate bullet in most 6,5X55:s. It may not be the best bullet for muntjac and roe deers though, it�s quite exposive.

Stefan.

<treb>
posted
Stefan
Thanks for replying. Yes I have tried the Sierra HP and it is too explosive, the Hornady has a smaller point and is a little harder but they still spread little bits of copper through the carcase, which the little 77gr didn't. Looks like I'll have to stick with the Hornady 100gr SP.
Regards
Treb.

<AKI>
posted
Where do you sweedes get your Oryxes? Torsbohandels sells them for 500SEK/100 (9,3mm). I�d like to have some 200 for the new 9,3x62 Improved I will get this summer. It should be a good one slightly down loaded for our white-tailed deers. Thanks. AKI

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey AKI!

I can probably get some Oryx in 9,3. If there is some shooters from �land at the big BR match in Lothaja (Finland) later this mont I can send the bullets with them.

Sune won the match last year so I hope he bring the throphy

Stefan.

<Eirik>
posted
Treb

You should try Noslers 100 grain partition in your swede. Haven't shot any animals with it yet, but at velocity's below 3200 fps you should get excellent accuracy. Tried them in my 6,5-06, they grouped around .5" at 100 meters. Also it seems they do not like very high velocity, with max loads they grouped at one foot in my gun. velocity was approx. 3400fps.

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Have anyone used a 170grs Oryx in 7mm (.280 or 7x64B.)?

Experiance?

Jonas, Sweden.

<K9>
posted
Yes, but not in any of the calibers you mentioned.
I've used it for two years in my 7x57R loaded to about 730-760 m/s (I do not have a chrongraph....). It has been accurate in the three rifles I've tried it in and have worked beautifully on roedeer at ranges between 60-150 meters.
Wouldn't hesitate one sek. to use it on moose!! I've shoot it into wet paper and they get rather big..... and still penetrates quite a god bit!!

<Doc Garnett>
posted
Hey guys!
I notice that all but one of you in the above thread are Scandinavians and how considerate it is of you to post in English. Seriously. I know it would be easier to post in your native languages, but it would leave most of us not so well educated English- speaking types out of the loop. So, thanks.
As for you, Treb, I am reminded that G. B. Shaw noted that the British and the Americans are two similar peoples "separated by a common language." (Just a little ribbing over nothing.)
I read somewhere that the Scirrocos are nearly identical to the Oryx. Do you have any confirmation of this? Just curious.
-- Doc

<Robin>
posted
How can I get Norma Oryx or Lapua Mega bullets in the US? So far I've been skunked.

------------------
Robin
from Tucson, AZ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc.

Wow! there is someone else than the Scandinavians that understand my typing in English

I�m not really the rigth person to compare the Sirrocos to the Oryx. I have only tested the Swift Sirroco in my .308 Win, two groups of three shots (I didn�t have any more bullets). The two groups I shot didn�t look good, something around 2". The bullets was 180:s. Both the Sirroco and the Oryx is a bonded core but they look quite different. The Oryx is a flat base and not very pointed, if you look for a long range high performance bullet mabye the Oryx isn�t the best ticket.

Robin.

I don�t know were you can get Norma bullets in US but I know that Norma have some contact with a company named NECO in Lafayette, CA. NECO helped Norma devellop the moly coated match ammo they sell under the name Dimond line. Phone nr. to NECO is: 510-450-0420. Sinclair international have Lapua match bullets in the catalog so mabye they can get some Mega bullets. I�m not a big fan of the Mega bullets for big game though. They useally shoots really good but the design is a plain soft point, not a bonded core. They have a "lead lock" in the jacket to keep the core in place while expantion. The Mega is not a bad bullet but my opinion is that there is better ones avalible. SAKO use to do a bonded core bullet called Hammerhead, SPFB. It was a wery good bullet for big game, it was avalible in .30, .284, 8mm, and .338. They dropped it a few years ago and introduced the Super Hammerhead. It is a HPBT hunting bullet with a bonded core. It isn�t nearly as good as the old design though

Stefan.

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jonas:
Have anyone used a 170grs Oryx in 7mm (.280 or 7x64B.)?

Experiance?

Jonas, Sweden.

I've loaded them in 7 Mag, very accurate. However, the owner (not me) isn't as accurate as his rifle/cartridge, so the only big "game" that's been shot with it this far is a 60 cm dia. pine tree that just "happened" to stand in the way of the moose... FWIW, it penetrated at least 10 cm (longest stick I had) in the wood.

I shot a magpie (skata) with it too, it died.

-- Mats

[This message has been edited by Mats (edited 04-14-2001).]

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Thanks for the replays!

I will try the Oryx-bullets in my .280Rem for roedeer and moose. Ordinary I use SPEER Grand - Slam 160grs. for moose and wildboar, but many american hunters say that bullet is to hard for small deers.

Jonas