New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best loading press for larger cartridges
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For many years I have been loading with my old RCBS Junior press in calibers like 6.5 X 55, 30-'06, 7mm RM, etc.

Now I am stepping up to a .404 Jeff and may also want to size cast lead bullets and I am thinking I would like to get a press designed for larger calibers and heavier jobs.

What do you use/recommend?

Thanks,

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Redding Big Boss press a few years ago. I like it! It's the only one that I have any experience with. I load 577NE and 50-110 with it.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Redding Big Boss. A great & strong press.
Biggest I load is .375 H&H

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I bought an RCBS Ammomaster. Covers all the big stuff that I load.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave both a Redding Big Boss 2 and a Redding UltraMag press.

When resizing something like Weatherby rounds that tend to grow somewhat I go the UltraMag. The Big Boss is capable but the Ultra gets it done with no sweat. Of course it is open in the front too with no O frame style to it. It's a hunk of iron.

I had the machine shop guys check the UltraMags ram alignment once just to see how close it is versus inducing runout and they said it almost dead nut center. I like it.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I've got 4 set-up all Redding. a Big Boss, the one without the bushing that I only use for de-capping, the bigger Big Boss the one with the bushing that I use Hornady quick release bushings on... a T-7 for most all the rest, with an Ultra Mag for long stuff. Throw a sheet over the whole bench when not using, which is most of the time anymore.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used the ultra mag for the last dozen years. If you don’t mind manually feeding primers, it’s great. I use it for 470, 416 Rigby and others.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want the caddilac of presses, look at the Corbin presses. He makes them to swage bullets [cf. RCBS = Rock Chucker Bullet Swage], and any reloading is "child's play" for this press(es). Roller bearings, not sleeves. I started with a Jr but resizing .44 Mag was more work than I liked and I ended up getting a Rockchucker long before production moved to China. Bear is gone. Pacific is ?? I have no experience with Redding presses but suspect they are good. So it comes down to how much you wish to invest. With the Corbin system you can make swaged lead bullets and save sweating over a hot pot... Check out base guard too. Luck. Happy Trails.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have loaded for 416 Rigby & now for 470 NE.

I have had my old Lee anniversary kit press for 25 years. I got my Redding press about 15 years ago.

The Lee actually has a bigger clearance. I use the Redding as my main sizing press and sometimes use the Lee for bullet seating. I also size 474 cal 400 gr cast bullets in the Redding press. I do not need any other press.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what about the CH CHAMPION press? don't have one but look sturdy as hell.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS single stage Ammo Master, You can load 50 cal. machine gun ammo in it..Its the best by far IMO..I also have an old old Hollywood press that's awesome but a .375 lenth case all but maxis it out, but its strong enough to swage bullets on..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lee Classic Cast Press. Loaded 450/400 3 inch, 404 Jeffery, 475 #2 Jeffery, and 500 NE!
Spend your money on Components!
Lee Press

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I load for jacketed and cast 404 on my older model Pacific C press, could do with a bigger opening but easy enough to load, not exactly loading thousands of rounds at a time for the 404.
As for sizing cast bullets and for that matter 44cal gas checks down to .423'-.425" on the base of the cast bullets, this is an easy job accomplished on my Lyman 450 lube/sizer, a rather flimsy piece of equipment compared with the strength and leverage a reloading press has. Any reloading press will size cast bullets, doesn't need to be a herculean model.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Lee Classic Cast Press. Loaded 450/400 3 inch, 404 Jeffery, 475 #2 Jeffery, and 500 NE!
Spend your money on Components!
Lee Press

+1

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for your recommendations. I will go with the Lee or Redding press.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Before you spend the money, I would suggest that you measure the clearance of your RCBS press.

As I said earlier, the lee is about 0.25 inch bigger than the Redding and both work for the 470NE.

quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Before you spend the money, I would suggest that you measure the clearance of your RCBS press.

As I said earlier, the lee is about 0.25 inch bigger than the Redding and both work for the 470NE.

quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:

Certainly. I have been wanting to replace/augment the RCBS with another press and looking for something with more flexibility.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The Lee Classic Cast has an opening designed to accommodate a 50 BMG

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 Redding UltraMags for me and my friend.

We are happy with them so far. Primary use is for .585 Hubel Express. For smaller rounds, I use Forster Co-Ax - up to .375 H&H. Friend uses UltraMag for .30-06. It is overkill, but no problems ;-)

Small corner, but it works:

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I struggled with an older RCBS press when I got my first 375 H&H . Just too short in the throat. About that time Lyman came out with their orange chrusher and the O-mag presses. I have one of each set up on my loading bench. All resizing/ case forming is done on the crusher and all bullet seating is done on the O mag. Loading up to 416 Rigby with zero issues.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still an RCBS A2 FS in the classified. If it has all the bits and goodies with it a fantastic press.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And the A2 single stage RCBS has all the room in the world and is strong enough to swage bullets in..It has a lot of room to work in and can take any cartridge up to and including the 50 BMG. I bought mine specifically to load the Nitro express cartridges.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I am also a fan of the Lyman Orange Crusher.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Although I have several presses including a Dillon 650 + bought a RCBS (mod unknown) massive that works for the 470 Nitro,etc.I can do EVERYTHING I want on this one press.(No I'm not getting rid of anything.)

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding Ultra-Mag for a single-stage. Bought mine in 2002. Dillon 550b, bought in 2007, will work fine with large rifle magnum cases. I use the U-M for sizing, forming and depriming mil crimped cases.

Ultra-Mag was fine for .30-378 & .300rem ultra mag loading. Those are the 2 biggest cases I've worked with.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I like turret presses. Keep all my regular loadings in turrets. I use this lee classic turret exclusively now albeit I have 2 single stages on either side of it. Loaded for and shot my .500 NE this afternoon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty and Ted beat me to it. The Lee Classic Cast has plenty of room for most if not all of the larger calibers. I really like the feel of the Lee Classic especially when sizing cases and seating bullets.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Liking the looks of this. So you can set up the turrets and change them out without recalibrating everything? Like that on my Dillon 650. I got s rcbs single stage but loading multiple calibers this seem the way to go.

quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I like turret presses. Keep all my regular loadings in turrets. I use this lee classic turret exclusively now albeit I have 2 single stages on either side of it. Loaded for and shot my .500 NE this afternoon.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
I too just love my Lee classic cast. I use it to load all my rounds from my 30/378 Weatherby mag to my 222 Rem with no problems. Also uses one of the best spent primer catchers in the industry.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Liking the looks of this. So you can set up the turrets and change them out without recalibrating everything? Like that on my Dillon 650. I got s rcbs single stage but loading multiple calibers this seem the way to go.

quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

100%! Load a turret with dies already set, change the shellholder, and begin loading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
what about the CH CHAMPION press? don't have one but look sturdy as hell.

Those things are beasts. Ive thought about getting one for swaging for a long time. But Im still using the old RCBS.

The Lee classic cast is a nice bang for the buck.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What about the old Aussie Simplex press - a real heavy weight. Some old ones still on the market.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Simplex Master presses. It is a knock off of the Lyman press of the identical appearance. Hope it helps. What is does not have is the removable bushing for 1 1 /4" dies as does the RCBS Rockchucker.

Here's a link as the image is very big.

http://static.wpe.au.syrahost....%20frame%20press.jpg

FWIW here's a tip. All the Brit Nitro-Express cartridges are/were actually fairly low pressure. Thus actually you don't need massive leverage to re-size them as unless you gun is out of tolerance they don't expand much.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I started with an RCBS Junior back in high school about 1969. Had probably a dozen since then -- Rockchuckers, Dillon Square Deal, Redding T-7 (a very nice press) and currently a Lee Classic Turret and a metallic gray Lyman single-stage. The Lyman is OK, but not as solid as the Rockchucker. Back when I was working and had disposable income, I was very fortunate to have not only one of Dave Corbin's beautiful S presses with a half-dozen swaging die sets, but also one of Dave's brother Richard's Walnut Hill swaging presses. These do in fact put "mere reloading presses" to shame.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Lee Classic Press.I also added the Lee safety Prime that attaches to the Press.I see they changed the design a little.Here is a link for that.It loads the primer on the upstroke and you seat the primer on the down stroke. https://leeprecision.com/safet...small-and-large.html

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Alec Torres,

I'll venture what won't be much of a guess: you're not in it to mass produce .404 Jeffery rounds.

Like fishing tackle, I've invested (squandered?) a lotta $$$ in reloading equipment and components. If a 50 dollar press will produce the same results as a press costing many times that, my advice is to save money.

Regular RCBS dies (not expensive target dies) have produced big game ammo that'll shoot <.25 @ a hundred.

The best education I've received has been practical knowledge based upon especially scientific knowledge that I didn't have to fork over $$$ to learn. Knowing now what I wish I knew when I was much closer to genius status, I'd check the preowned market.

If a Lee press will do what you need doing and will produce accurate loads, why spend God knows how much more on an expensive press that'll produce identical loads?

I'm a huge RCBS fan. It's customer service is excellent. While I'm brand loyal, especially if it has produced excellent results, I cannot write that high end equipment is superior to stuff that costs less. And costing less does not always imply lesser quality.

Save money: buy big game game tags.

That's my story & I"m sticking to it.

I hope you have a whole lotta fun with your Big Five Legend.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS Jr. that I use for loading now - 7mm RM, .257 Roberts, 30-'06 and soon .338-'06. I'd like a press that allows me to load full length .404 Jeffery and also swage lead practice bullets in .423". Maybe the Lee is the right one for these jobs? I dunno.

For my shotguns I have MEC Sizemasters in 12, 16, and 20 gauge. It is convenient not to have to fool around whan changing between gauges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rolls Royces of presses are available thru the Corbins: Dave, swage.com or corbins.com or ???; and his brother Rich rceco.com. These are a longer stroke for reloading and a shorter stroke adjustment for swaging bullets, lead or jacketed. They also make the dies for this work. Absolutely nothing wrong with the machines mentioned, these are just bigger, stronger, and with roller bearings... to the max. (Yes, they also offer electric power machines.) Costly? Yes, you get what you pay for. If you look about, often used comes up. Any care at all and they will be as good as ever. While I loved my RCBS Jr. it got a bit much resizing .44 Magnums and I got a Rockchucker, earlier series. Get acquainted with the Corbins while you can, before they retire and if what they got suits you... Luck Happy Trails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, EMP3 and ilranger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
The Rolls Royces of presses are available thru the Corbins: Dave, swage.com or corbins.com or ???; and his brother Rich rceco.com. These are a longer stroke for reloading and a shorter stroke adjustment for swaging bullets, lead or jacketed. They also make the dies for this work. Absolutely nothing wrong with the machines mentioned, these are just bigger, stronger, and with roller bearings... to the max. (Yes, they also offer electric power machines.) Costly? Yes, you get what you pay for. If you look about, often used comes up. Any care at all and they will be as good as ever. While I loved my RCBS Jr. it got a bit much resizing .44 Magnums and I got a Rockchucker, earlier series. Get acquainted with the Corbins while you can, before they retire and if what they got suits you... Luck Happy Trails.

i agree 100%. but i've been looking in all the wrong places i guess cause i've yet to find a used one and would love to have one.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote