New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal M Primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have loaded almost all my ammo with Federal 210 Gold Match or 215 Gold Match primers for years. I find myself running low and have not been able to find anyone carrying them. Are they still being made? Has anyone been able to find them?
I hate to go through the testing process when I have something that has worked well. Any suggestions which primer to try first as a substitute?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The Federal 210M primers are making it to the shelves of gun stores occasionally. You might try the Cabela's that's not too far from you; just north of Wheeling.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
In the 215’s I have tried them both in numerous identical loads and have seen no difference between them.

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the last year I have found Fed 215 GMs at Sportsmans Warehouse and Fed 210 GMs at Cabelas

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try contacting: PowderValleyInc
they're a big supplier and will be able to tell you what's going on. Give 'em a call or e'mail.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 10,000 210M's a few months ago here in NC and the dealer offered another 5,000 if I wanted them.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I use GM215M exclusively in 8x57JS and .375 H&H. Not possible to get them any more here in Europe.

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
In the 215’s I have tried them both in numerous identical loads and have seen no difference between them.

I would agree with you Mac; I don't see any difference in 215 vs 215M.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

I read an article a few years back which stated the difference between the 210/215 and their match versions is simply that Federal uses their most experienced employees to mix up the priming compound in their match versions. Which made me wonder, are the most experienced employees only mixing priming compound for match primers or are they also employed mixing priming compound for standard primers?

Perhaps, everybody mixes primer compound and when it comes time to do a run of match primers, they bring out the seasoned hands to do the mixing. I would assume Federal produces more standard primers than match primers. Regardless, I prefer and use the match versions.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sep:
quote:
quote:

I read an article a few years back which stated the difference between the 210/215 and their match versions is simply that Federal uses their most experienced employees to mix up the priming compound in their match versions. Which made me wonder, are the most experienced employees only mixing priming compound for match primers or are they also employed mixing priming compound for standard primers?

Perhaps, everybody mixes primer compound and when it comes time to do a run of match primers, they bring out the seasoned hands to do the mixing. I would assume Federal produces more standard primers than match primers. Regardless, I prefer and use the match versions.

I use to only shoot the Match primers a decade or so ago when they were easy to get. Then a shortage hit and I was down to my last couple thousand 215M. So bought the regular 215's to try and see if they altered anything in any of my loads. Could not see any difference in velocity or accuracy. Maybe if I was a benchrest shooter there would be a difference?

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i keep lots of Feds on hand:

Powder Valley
Grafs
Cabellas
Mid South
They're out there.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sep:
quote:
quote:

I use to only shoot the Match primers a decade or so ago when they were easy to get. Then a shortage hit and I was down to my last couple thousand 215M. So bought the regular 215's to try and see if they altered anything in any of my loads. Could not see any difference in velocity or accuracy. Maybe if I was a benchrest shooter there would be a difference?

Lower extreme spreads are what a more consistent primer might provide, and that will only significantly affect accuracy at long range. In a typical hunting rifle it won’t matter much. In a long range hunting rifle it very well may as well as in high accuracy competitions.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both 210s and 215s are in production, they sell out fast because Federal can't keep up with the orders to a degree...I only use Federal primers and I don't see any difference in std and match at the bench..I buy them at Sportsman Whse. when they are available, I buy a carton or two at a time, they last until the next shipment shows up...Problem is the bean counters at Spts and Cabelas never order them until they run out and disgusted customers raise hell.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I have seen them in the last month or so, but not at any sort of big box store or online. Mine have been found at small, independent gun shops around the area. You're also in PA, so I'd suggest a Saturday recon mission to all the gun stores within 90 minutes of your house. What's the worst that could happen? Big Grin

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fed 215 in stock at Midway