New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder for .40 and .45
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have loaded several different rifle rounds, but only for .44 mag in pistol cartridges. I want to start loading for 40 and 45, I recently got bullets and dies for both. With the current powder situation it is hard to get my hands on powder of any kind where I am. Can someone give input on a powder that would work for both of these cartridges, the 40 with 180s and the 45 with 230s.

It would be nice to find a single powder that would be adequate for both, although that often leads to compromises. I looked in a couple manuals that had powders listed for both, just want some real world input. This is mostly for plinking, I'm not into hardcore handgun shooting.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the availability of pistol powder these days, the question is not so much "What should I use?" as "What can I get my hands on?"

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the problem here too.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Unique and whatever you can get that you saw in your books that works on both, of which there are many choices. For plinking, it won't matter.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accurate #5 and #7
Hodgdon Titegroup
Alliant Unique

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
W231 (HP-38) is what I use in both.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Titegroup

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accurate #5 and be done with it. Western Powder's own version of Unique...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accurate #5 and #7 Hodgdon Titegroup Alliant Unique

I've used these with great results. Since I have several # I lean towards #5 & #7

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unique or Power pistol

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Titegroup.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red dot green dot herco

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMiller:
I have loaded several different rifle rounds, but only for .44 mag in pistol cartridges. I want to start loading for 40 and 45, I recently got bullets and dies for both. With the current powder situation it is hard to get my hands on powder of any kind where I am. Can someone give input on a powder that would work for both of these cartridges, the 40 with 180s and the 45 with 230s.

It would be nice to find a single powder that would be adequate for both, although that often leads to compromises. I looked in a couple manuals that had powders listed for both, just want some real world input. This is mostly for plinking, I'm not into hardcore handgun shooting.

Unique Wink

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote