New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tight primer pockets and pressure signs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've tried some lapua brass which has very tight primer pockets.

Using cautious (and worked up) loads I've got firing pin strikes which are cratered and very shallow yet with no modification of the primer edge (ie not remotely flattened.

I don't use them my remington cases seem much more forgiving. Primer appearence is just fine with these. Rifle is 98 6.5x55 mauser in excellent (2yrs from custom made) condition. Original firing pin and spring means there is very very minor cratering on all cases. I suspect rifle has a tightish chamber

I thought the primer pockets might be tight enough not to allow the primer to move against the bolt face when ignition occurs and that the case grips against the chamber walls so their is no movement of anything back against the firing pin.

Anyone else experienced this with tight primer pockets?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the difference in the weight of the cases between the two brands?

Is there a difference between the neck dia of the two different cases loaded with the same bullet?

Are you getting the primers seated as deeply with the Laupa brass as the Rem brass?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
I've tried some lapua brass which has very tight primer pockets. -- I don't use them my remington cases seem much more forgiving.

The Remington cases are quite a bit more roomy in this chambering, same goes for Winchester. I think the Federal cases are thinner too, but I can't recall having weighed or measured any... I have some lying around, so I'll check them - next week, I added it as a "ToDo" item in the Palm for next Wednesday...

If you want an educated guesstimation of decent loads in the x55, send me an e-mail with powder, primer, cases, bullets (more than just weight, please) and bbl length and I'll try to do my best.

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help the thing is I just don't think that I can rely on the LAPUA cases to tell me what's going on pressure wise if the primer can't move.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote