New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 60gr. Nosler Partition in .223 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone try this new Nosler bullet in the .223 Rem.? It's advertised to be effective on deer and antlope sized game in the .223 Rem. where legal.

Your toughts/comments?

DaMan

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi DaMan
Do you know what barrel twist is required for this projectile?
Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@one.net.au
www.deafdog.one.net.au

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deafdog:
Do you know what barrel twist is required for this projectile?

Greetings, Deafdog!

Being a flat-based bullet, I think 1:12" or faster would be adequate. Although, I've shot 60gr. Nosler Solid Base bullets in my Thompson Contender Carbine (1:14" twist) with good results. Mind you, this was in hot Arizona weather at velocities over 2,950 fps.

Also the now extinct Nosler 60gr. Solid Base had a solid lead core....the new partion does not. The new "partition's" construction might result in a slightly longer bullet than the old "solid base" (which might effect neccessary twist rate).

The Nosler site had no specific twist recommendations and I haven't tried them out yet, so this is just a SWAG (sophisticated wild a$$ guess)! ;-)

It looks like the new Nosler Partition would be a good bullet for the larger species of roo!

DaMan

<PowderBurns>
posted
Rifling requirements are (you know this) related to bullet length compared to diameter. (That's why black-powder round-ball runs 1:66".)

Sierra publishes some rifling rate suggestions on their heavier .224" bullets. They don't suggest anything special until you get to the 69 gr. bullet. Then it's 7" to 10" twist rate.

60 gr. should be fine in a standard bbl. unless the partition structure makes for a long bullet. (SWAG on my part here . . . "sophisticated wild assed guess")

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Guys
I have a BLR Lightning in .223 with a 1 in 12 twist.
It won't shoot 62 grain projectiles (stabilise).
I guess its a case of "suck it and see"
with 60 grains.
Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@one.net.au
www.deafdog.one.net.au

<jd_1>
posted
Don't know about deer sized game as you are required to use .243/6mm and up calibers for them in TN. I do know however that they perform very similar to my 25-06 partitions on cyotes. I get .7" grours out of my ar-15 with a 16" 1 in 8 twist heavy target barrel. Hope this helps...JD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When in doubt, call the toll free number and ask the factory technician (which I just did).

The technician assured me that 1:12" or faster is the recommended twist.

He further stated that the new Hodgdon Benchmark provided the best accuracy for the .223 Remington and the Nosler 60 gr. Partition. Starting load 21.5 gr. of Benchmark for 2932 fps. Maximum load 23.5 gr. of Benchmark for 3136 fps.

DaMan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I don't own a .223 ,but a 222Rem and I run a test on soaked papper and these are results.
All 50 and 55 grain sp loads vanished in the test media penetrating between 5 to 6 inches no bullet where found, then I used norma's 62 grain r�djur(roe deer) load thisi round went a couple of inches deeper with highest retained weight of 28 grain expanded to 7,5 mm distance was 40 yds. After this experiment I abandoned the idea of using it for the thiny roe deer and bought an old decent 3030 for this kind of hunting.I've seen many hunters using this caliber very succesfully,but I can't risk to wound a deer because here in Sweden the hunters are not allowed to leave the hunting before the dee is killed.
best regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote