Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using reloads in only one rifle
 Login/Join

posted
If brass conforms to the chamber after firing can I just trim length if needed and then reload without sizing as long as I’m only using the same rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can either neck size only or full length size your brass. Either way the neck will need to be resized to hold the new projectile in place. I highly recommend purchasing several reloading manuals and reading them thoroughly. Lyman, Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Sierra, Barnes, Lee, etc all make reloading manuals. I suggest you read, and reread the first chapters of your chosen manual prior to reloading anything. I would also suggest you find a mentor who reloads.
Best of luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are talking a schutzen rifle, that might work (cast bullet and jammed into the rifling) Of course, if that is what you are doing, you would know that, so I assume not...

otherwise you need to Size the neck enough to seat a bullet.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy yourself a Lee collet neck sizing die.

This makes neck-sizing easy as you don't have to faff with lube and cleaning afterwards. You do need to de-prime it after all, so this is not adding any work.

I have been using them for years on all my bottle-neck rifle ammo except .44-40. If one was available for that caliber, I would use it.

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't screw the die down far enough to set the case shoulder. The case neck gets squeezed down and sized by the expander button. If everything is straight your case fits the chamber. This method also takes care of excessive head space. I've been doing this for years.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AS Dave stated, smoke your case, turn your die back about 2 turns from the case holder, and resize, you will see on the smoked neck what you resized, then keep doing that until you getat least half way down the neck, try in the chamber as you go, keep going until cases chamber easy or with only a very slight tightness..your not moving the shoulder..For target shooter etc, best to full length hunting ammo, as feed and function are more important that ultimate accuracy..Get a reloading book and study it carefully or get a old time hand loader to get you started..

Sounds like to me your talking about a bench rest rifle that has a 0 tolerance shoulder wherein all you have to do is put powder and primer in the case as the ultra tight custom chamber does not allow for expansion, not a good rifle for hunting or even varmint hunting IMO..only good for target.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The notion that full length resizing brass is detrimental to accuracy is nonsense.

Posts: 2651 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PLus one, on that..
All my hunting loads are new brass or once firer and reloaded and full length resized..to do otherwise will sooner or later create a problem and have seen the neck sized ammo ruin a perfect hunt many times..why risk that. I neck size for varmint hunting, as missing a rock chuck or coyote is not a life changing experience..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've neck sized for over 50 years and never had a problem while hunting.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For how many cartridge and rifles? I submit that you can't do that for very many permutations of rifles and mixing the brass.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For how many cartridge and rifles? I submit that you can't do that for very many permutations of rifles and mixing the brass.

Hunting rifle 5. Others about 30. A couple I had to full length size in order to chamber. I did not mix the brass from rifle to rifle.

Dave

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
The notion that full length resizing brass is detrimental to accuracy is nonsense.

I am going to run a test on this, after I am done with different diameter bullets.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
On my AI calibers, per rifle, I neck size w/ graphite the case mouth only. For other rifles of the same caliber, I keep the brass specific to each rifle. It DOES make a difference.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote