New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCI #34 MILITARY RIFLE PRIMERS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just order some from Midway-----What can you tell me about them.

Info on them at Midway says that they are Magnum strength primers with a hard cup. Will they work well in my .300, .338, .375 and .416 Ruger?

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are marketed as milspec primers to prevent slam-fires in semi-auto rifles. You can use them in most cartridges as long as the primer strike is hard enough to set them off.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I have used a lot of them in places magnum primers are the right choice. They work well. I use them to kick off ball powder loads in the 30-06 and the harder cup in my 760 Remington which inertia firing pin comes forward really fast when you slam one home. I use them in my .458 WM cast bullet loads to get the consistent ignition I need for Light loads. Work great.
I bought them when they when they were affordable and wish I had bought another 5000.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are marketed as milspec primers to prevent slam-fires in semi-auto rifles. You can use them in most cartridges as long as the primer strike is hard enough to set them off.

YEP. +1

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need to look in on them, I need some for my M1 and M1A

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some to sell if shipping wasn't so bad.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! I bought 1000 (the limit). I managed to jump on them as I check a few sights every morning and night for primers. I was down to less than 100 LRM primers. This will probably hold me for a couple of years.
Just checked Midway again tonight----all out!

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting CCI #34's for several decades now. CCI introduced them to the civilian market during the Clinton primer panic. The CCI rep I talked to said the #34's were always part of their military product line and they decided to see how they would do on the civilian market.

I bought tens of thousands of the things and used them in my Garands and M1a's, and they are a fine primer. They are less sensitive than commercial primers, which is not a problem with a maintained ignition system. It is good practice to change mainsprings, especially for those vintage, 40 year and up rifles.
I cannot tell much of a difference, velocity wise, between the #34’s and Winchester large rifle primers in 308 Win, 30-06, 270 Win, etc. Because I have so many Federals, I have been using them up in my bolt guns and reserving the #34’s for my gas guns.

But, 34’s shoot well in the 30-06

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
People have been shooting milsurp ammo since the 45-70 days and I've never heard a comment about any particular batch being hard to set off and requiring another cocking to do so, though I'm sure there have been some in the history of the earth.

Anyway, I bet there is a tiny tiny line between these and regular primers in terms of sensitivity.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I was more concerned if they were a good substitute for magnum primers then whether they would be too hard for the normal sporting rifle.----I NEEDED LRM primers!

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
People have been shooting milsurp ammo since the 45-70 days and I've never heard a comment about any particular batch being hard to set off and requiring another cocking to do so, though I'm sure there have been some in the history of the earth.

Anyway, I bet there is a tiny tiny line between these and regular primers in terms of sensitivity.

Guess you are not shooting military semi autos. Shoot AR15's enough, and you will experience slamfires with commercial primers. And back in the day, when the M1a was the primary rifle on the NRA highpower firing line, there were lots of reports of out of battery slamfires with Federal Match primers, and a few with military primers. Primers vary in sensitivity. The CCI guy I talked to said the #34's had an all fire limit a couple of inches higher than the commercial. I don't remember if that was true to the lower limit, the none fire level. But the thing is, there are always primers at, or slightly above the none fire level. And if you ever have an out of battery experience, you won't dismiss primer sensitivity.

This shooter found American commercial ammunition had primers too sensitive for his FN49.

this is probably an out of battery with a Garand

This clearly was

one of us
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine had his BM59 destroyed by an out of battery firing.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Friend of mine had his BM59 destroyed by an out of battery firing.

There are good reasons why the Italians installed a firing pin spring in some of their BM 59's

even with a Roland Beaver spring modification installed, my Garand left this sort of dent on a primer, by only loading a round.

this is an M1 carbine receiver up side down, and you can see how the bolt cycles and you can see the firing pin retraction cam.

and these things go off out of battery when the firing pin makes incidental contact with a primer between the red lines. And since the primer is free floating, this will happen occasionally when an extra sensitive primer gets infront of the firing pin.

Shooters don't know how critical it is to size the case smaller than the chamber, to use the least sensitive primers, and make sure the primer is below the case head, for these older military gas guns.

I wonder how many shooters blew off the back of the heels of their Garands and M1a's because they were neck sizing.

There are even sensitive mil spec primers. A tight case and a sensitive primer, and you get a big badda boom.