New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading .410's
 Login/Join

<bstogsdill>
posted
Anybody reload .410 shells? I am thinking about getting a .410 lever action and am curious as to the prices of factory ammo and of reloaded ammo.

I am thinking #4 or #6 shot, slugs and maybe buckshot.

Any reloading tips on shotgun shells? I have only reloaded 357/38's.

Thanks. Have a good day

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .410 is a bit challenging to reload, and I would not recommend it unless you shoot a lot of skeet.

How many rounds do you expect to put through you lever gun in a year? After spending $100 dollars or more for a shotshell reloader, $20 for a bag of shot, $6 for a bag of wads, $3 for a hundred primers, and $15 for a pound of powder, you could have bought more than a few factory .410 shells (and have the hulls left over to sell to a reloader).

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload/shoot quite a bit of .410 and I must be lucky because I don't have any problems with reloading them. I think allot of the problems occur with the crimping. The crimp on a .410 has a very small crimp and it doesn't take much to make it turn out bad. I use a MEC grabber that has a 3 stage crimping set-up. It seems to work wellfor me since I have no problems.

Reloading the shot will be no problem but you must remember that the .410 has a small paylod and the larger shot decreases the pellet count.

As far as I know there is not info for loading buck shot in the .410. Being a .410 nut I have been working on a 4 OO pellet buck load for the 2.5" hull. I need to do a little more development but I am close.

The same goes for slugs. Not much of anything out there. I plan on tackling that next.

I will have to agree with Stonecreek about relaoding for it. If you don't plan on shooting it that much then I woudl just buy the ammo. In my case I have 7 .410's to feed so I had to reload.

Posts: 84 | Location: Southeast AZ | Registered: 25 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 410 is one of my favorite guages for skeet and preserve hunting for quail and chuckars. I use a Mec 9000 and have no problems in reloading the small 2.5 inch case. You can reload for half of what a box of new shell cost maybe less. The question is how much shooting are you going to do? Currently to the best of my knowledge there is no way to reload buckshot or slugs.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We load quite a bit of 410 shells, using a Ponsness Warren 900 Elite loader.

Works like a charm.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote