Find
Notify
Tools

Finished my 7mm Remington Mag Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Used in NZ at beginning April. Took some work - lots of bullet types, powders, etc. to get here.

Thought I had it with a .25" load, but crimped into the pressure grove and backed off .5 gr to get the group below. Picked up some fps as well.

3 shots.

150 gr Barnes TTSX
3,025 fps (26” Barrel)
Federal #215 Primers
Nosler Case
COL 3.215”
67.5 gr Alliant RL-26
Crimp w/Lee Die

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome. All the work paid off.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How repeatable? I have fired some really great three shot groups inc one that was one inch at 500. Unfortunately, not every one after that did. On the other hand, it is pretty rare to shoot a group like that and not have subsequent tests prove to be accurate even if not as impressive as the first.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
How repeatable? I have fired some really great three shot groups inc one that was one inch at 500. Unfortunately, not every one after that did. On the other hand, it is pretty rare to shoot a group like that and not have subsequent tests prove to be accurate even if not as impressive as the first.

The closest I had to this load was a .25 group that had .5 gr more powder and wasn't crimped. My experience has shown proper crimping tightens the group. The 150gr and 175gr Gamekings were the most consistently best loads across all loads I tested. All in the .25-.50 range. The worst were 150 gr Sciroccos. The 160 gr Accubonds & 140 gr TTSXs feel between. Ran too many powders to remember, but Reloader, Norma, and IMR were the brands.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats one helluva group. i've never done it! but purely from a testing or whatever standpoint, i too am very interested in if its repeatable. i would say not because i mean how much smaller of a group can you get?? if you can equal that again it would be awesome.if you could get CLOSE to that again it would be awesome. my 7 mag sure won't do it! what kind of rifle is it?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
FN Mauser with a 26" barrel, not sure of the barrel make. Action is original commercial action. it might have lapped lugs, definitely not blue printed. Barrel was originally a #5 profile, turned down to #2. Synthetic MPI stock. Full barrel channel bedded. Double set trigger.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...561010612#6561010612

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Austin Hunter,

What brand 7MM Rem Mag rifle are you shooting?

Some 25 years ago, I bought a Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag. The then circulating legend was the 7MM Rem Mag was the definitive elk cartridge. It might've been more truth than legend, but who the heck cares??? The '06 had been killing huge bulls for 50 years before the 7MM Rem Mag came along.

The reality is any big game cartridge will kill elk if hunters can place their shots. That's why I LOVE accurate big game rifles. I'll take accuracy over impressive ballistic indices every single time.

I hand load all of my big game hunting ammo. I load to hunt, not target shoot.

I was amazed at how accurate my 7MM Rem Mag was and remains. It'll shoot groups like the one you've posted. A friend had a stock Model 700 7MM Rem Mag that he bought in the '60's. It was amazingly accurate.

I've had amazing luck with H-4831, RL-22, and IMR-4350.

My Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag shoots best when velocities approach max. My 150 grain load will chrono at better than 3200 FPS, my 160 grain load at better than 3100 FPS and my 175 grain load will chrono at 3000 FPS, all from a 24" barrel.

After I delved into hand loading did I learn about the importance of sectional density. It is sectional density that creates magic in .284 caliber bullets.

My 7MM Rem Mag will one-shot drop the largest of North America's deer including the legendary toughest: bull elk. But when I took to looking at hunting comprehensively, I came to the factual conclusion that all suitable big game cartridges will kill the largest of North American big game. A few years ago, the then new world record Yukon moose (largest of three species of North American moose) was killed dead as dead gets with a .303 British.

But there is a who lotta comfort found in the magical accuracy of the 7MM Rem Mag.

My guide thought I had missed a 900+ pound, 374 bull. I replied, "Nope, he's dead on his hooves awaiting a nose-first dirt plant." One shot destroyed his heart. He's now on my wall.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EMP3:
Hi Austin Hunter,

What brand 7MM Rem Mag rifle are you shooting?

Some 25 years ago, I bought a Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag. The then circulating legend was the 7MM Rem Mag was the definitive elk cartridge. It might've been more truth than legend, but who the heck cares??? The '06 had been killing huge bulls for 50 years before the 7MM Rem Mag came along.

The reality is any big game cartridge will kill elk if hunters can place their shots. That's why I LOVE accurate big game rifles. I'll take accuracy over impressive ballistic indices every single time.

I hand load all of my big game hunting ammo. I load to hunt, not target shoot.

I was amazed at how accurate my 7MM Rem Mag was and remains. It'll shoot groups like the one you've posted. A friend had a stock Model 700 7MM Rem Mag that he bought in the '60's. It was amazingly accurate.

I've had amazing luck with H-4831, RL-22, and IMR-4350.

My Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag shoots best when velocities approach max. My 150 grain load will chrono at better than 3200 FPS, my 160 grain load at better than 3100 FPS and my 175 grain load will chrono at 3000 FPS, all from a 24" barrel.

After I delved into hand loading did I learn about the importance of sectional density. It is sectional density that creates magic in .284 caliber bullets.

My 7MM Rem Mag will one-shot drop the largest of North America's deer including the legendary toughest: bull elk. But when I took to looking at hunting comprehensively, I came to the factual conclusion that all suitable big game cartridges will kill the largest of North American big game. A few years ago, the then new world record Yukon moose (largest of three species of North American moose) was killed dead as dead gets with a .303 British.

But there is a who lotta comfort found in the magical accuracy of the 7MM Rem Mag.

My guide thought I had missed a 900+ pound, 374 bull. I replied, "Nope, he's dead on his hooves awaiting a nose-first dirt plant." One shot destroyed his heart. He's now on my wall.

The post above with the thread - it outlines the entire history of the rifle.

on the 150 gr TTSX, I lost acccuracy at the higher velocities, think the highest I got was ~3,100. Got almost 3,200 from the 150 gr Scirocco (the bullet I really wanted to group due to the high BC), but group wasn't good and had pressure signs. The 150 gr GameKings where in the 3,150-3,175 fps range with great groups. The 160 gr ABs were just over 3K fps and about an 1". The 175 gr GK was 2,925 fps and .25".

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a three shot 1.25 inch group at 500 yards on Friday morning with my 28 Nosler. We will see if that was luck or something to it...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great group pard! How far do plan on shooting and for what game? I just assume it was for game instead of target as an "unblueprinted" FN Mauser doesn't show up on the firing line "too often", ha. I'd shoot a moose with that 150 TTSX going that fast. it won't tear up those Texas deer either!

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Knight:
That is a great group pard! How far do plan on shooting and for what game? I just assume it was for game instead of target as an "unblueprinted" FN Mauser doesn't show up on the firing line "too often", ha. I'd shoot a moose with that 150 TTSX going that fast. it won't tear up those Texas deer either!

Depends on game size, but under 500 yards. I'd say my 300 WBY is my elk rifle, but I shot a whopper elk at 260 yards in NZ in April, one shot through the lungs went 20 yards. My original plan was a fast 150 gr Scirocco at 3,200 fps, but could never get a tight enough group or acceptable pressures.