New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler 280AI brass problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone had a problem when priming this NEW brass using 210 Federal gold medal primers? Primer pockets were way too small to accept mine. Talked to Nosler and they were quick to replace them but said the batch had no earlier complaints. Suggested Winchester primers as Federal tends to run large.

What say ya’ll?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
Suggested Winchester primers as Federal tends to run large.

What say ya’ll?

When priming new, unfired brass (or even brass from once-fired factory loads) I always try to use Winchester primers since they do run slightly smaller in diameter, probably due to having no nickel plating like most primers. I find that CCI primers seat with a little more resistance, and that Federal primers seat with the most resistance.

I save the Federal primers for cases which have been fired several times and may have the pockets slightly loosened, either from pressure expansion or simply from the wear of having a number of primers inserted and removed.

Posts: 13229 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used only fed. 210 and 215 for the last 30 plus years, and have not had any problems, snug or tight primers suit me fine, and never have misfires.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These were ALMOST a forced crush even after using the tool for sizing the pockets. I will try some winchester.

Thanks for responses.

Just back from Bass Pro with my WLR primers. We shall see! Almost rut time in S Texas and glad I have other options in the safe.

Never have ENOUGH fore power!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I have always used CCI 200 Primers in my 280 Remington and have not had any issues....

Posts: 602 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently did a batch of WW new cases and the federal 210s slopped in loose!!!??? I think its the brass being produced today not the primers, Ive noticed the difference on more than one occasion...I suspect RWS or Lapua would fix the problem but damn that stuff is expensive.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote