Find
Notify
Tools

What is the RCBS FL V die?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bruce in WV
posted
I just picked up a set of 6.5x55 RCBS dies at a yard sale. The set has the usual decapping/sizing and seating/crimping dies.
There is a 3rd die in the box. It is marked 6.5x55 FL V. The top hole is threaded, but there is nothing in it.
Running a case through it after decapping and sizing seems to perform additional neck sizing.
Looking at the RCBS site I don't find a reference to this marking. What is this die designed to do?

Posts: 87 | Location: West Virginia, USA | Registered: 03 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FL is full length.

Posts: 4968 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bruce in WV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
FL is full length.

Good, thank you...now, what is the "V", and what is screwed into the top hole?

Posts: 87 | Location: West Virginia, USA | Registered: 03 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The V may refer to the year the die was made - when getting a replacement expander for my .256 Newton die was asked for the year of manufacture - wasn't one stamped but my die had a K stamped next to the FL and was told that the K referred to the year of manufacture by their technician.

Posts: 44 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bruce in WV
posted Hide Post
The threaded hole must have been the decapping rod and neck expander. Thanks to all for your help.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Yes RCBS used both two digit or single letter codes for the year of manufacture of their dies. They do not publish the interpretation of the codes but will supply the year of manufacture for a particular die on enquiry.

My RCBS 404 Jeffery dies have 78 on them, they were manufactured in 1978 the year I ordered them.

Posts: 3846 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote