Find
Notify
Tools

Game Changer: Annealing Made Perfect
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For this reason and wanting to spend less time annealing expensive to replace brass I ordered a $300 machine that will even safely process M1 Carbine brass.

Which one did you get?

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 01 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daboone:
Annealeez. http://www.annealeez.com

That name would lead you to believe that they make a personal lubricant not an annealing machine. rotflmo

Mac

Posts: 1723 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Got my AMP today, that thing is too cool and easy. I ran about 90 peices of a 300WM batch through it that had started splitting necks the last firing. Will report back if they stop now.

I have had a bench source for a couple years now but that thing is such a pain to get up and going that I dreaded using it. I think I'll just use it for 50 cal from here on out.

Mac

Posts: 1723 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am almost embarrassed to say it, but I discovered this past week that I was "jamming" my bullets into the rifling of my Edge.

How did I discover this? I annealed a bunch of cases. Bullet seating was noticeably harder, like with a new case. I took those rounds out and could not even chamber one.

I thought Hornady changed the ogive of the 285 bullet because I was loading a much newer lot. Nope, the OAL with a comparator was the same as the old lot. I then took an older round and chambered it (after removing the firing pin assy). Bullet chambered, but was seated deeper in the case.

My necks were so hard they were not resizing properly.

Normally I use a comparator to measure OAL to the rifling, but I have no idea why I was seating so long.

Be interesting to see what happens Friday morning at the range.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I seated some bullets 5 thou off the lands and some at the lands. Shot the 5 thou first because I wanted to see if my pressure would jump due to the higher neck tension. Definitely did. Group was 2.5 in at 500 yards but a lot of cratering around the primer. Vel spread was 24 fps; group was strung vertically.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote