THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spent the extra money on Nosler brass but!!!
 Login/Join

posted
I spent the extra money and got Nosler brass. Have never bought it before. Got it for my .300 win mag which I like to use the Lee Crimp Die on. Brass all came trimmed to 2.599 when trim length should be 2.610. Everything else with the brass was good but.... the crimp die would only catch the very end of the brass. Also since the .300 has such a short neck any way....

Not happy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve never crimped a 300 mag. Have not shot them much though and don’t currently own one.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased the first lot of Nosler 300WM brass to come to Australia... worst move I ever made.
Not only did it cost just over $90 per 50 with my shop discount, but it was FEDERAL sourced brass that was SOFT. I only fired 15 test loads to find that primer pockets were loose with START LOADS. Loads 2 grains from max had ejector marks and primers could be pushed in by finger pressure.
I returned the unused cases (300 -20 in 1 box) and never looked back.
I realise that Norma are now making Nosler brass, but I have had soft Norma brass too.
I would not spend double what other brands cost on Nosler brass again, Norma brass here is about a 1/3 cheaper.

Cheers.
Mad

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
IIRC Norma brass used to reasonably soft, even 50 years ago. The Australian Outdoors expert thought that a plus as he argued it made evaluating pressure easier. Not sure I'd want primer pockets loosening from starting loads, of course.

I don't suppose it could be a warning that your rifle may have tight dimensions.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I guess my experiences are different.
I have several 30/06's one with a "tight chamber" and brass from others is tight in it after firing in the other 30/06's and I wanted to keep brass separated so I purchased Nosler brass for it.
I'm very happy with it and even running my loads fairly warm I've not experienced any "loose primer pockets " or any other defects.
My normal brass is WW, is Nosler better? I don't really know they both do the job without a problem.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
Used a few different kinds of brass in my 257 Wea mag as well as Nosler. I find it,overall, as good as the rest but no better and much more expensive.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had any problems with Remington,Federal or Frontier brass shooting my 300 win. except a loose primer pocket here and there;. I never did crimp.

Posts: 114 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never crimped big bores, only double rifles and pistols and some autos..

The cheapest brass available and by about 1/2 the price of other brass is PPU, Privi Partisan, and it last longer than any brass Ive ever used...Its also the oldest brass case producer in the world..I get it from Midway and Grafs..Just ordered a batch of 22 HOrnets for $26. per 100, the rest cost that much for $50 and some for 25...I use it for all my rifles, they make it in many calibers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My favorite brass for pistols has been Starline. They are now making bottleneck cases for rifles. I have used Nosler and like much better than Remington or Federal. If you don’t mind trimming, champhering and truing primer pockets, then Winchester makes good brass.

NRA Life Endowment member since 1956

Posts: 12 | Location: Northwest Florida, USA | Registered: 20 September 2010Reply With Quote