THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Choosing powder for max velocity of 300 gr. bullet

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing powder for max velocity of 300 gr. bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am new to loading 45-70. Need a little help getting started.

Are H4198 and Reloder7 my best choice for getting top velocity with the least pressure?
- Rifle is TC Encore with 22" barrel. Action is stronger that H&R action.
- Bullet is mono in the 300gr. range. Probably CEB Talon. (300-325 gr.)
Thanks in advance for any tips on powder choice for highest velocity at under 45,000 psi, I think.
Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, both of those powders work very well, I prefer Re 7, but only by a whisker.
One thing I found, a Lee factory crimp die will make your extreme spread shrink a good bit. It also gained velocity in some powders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
theback40, Thank you! I will go to work with the Rel7.
Good tip on the Lee factory crimp die. I didn't know that.
This 45-70 barrel will be paired (switched) with my 500-110 barrel for dg mostly.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you guys talking Lee tapered crimp dies, not Lee factory crimp dies??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote