Notify
Tools

I want to get started reloading.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
My uncle had a gun blow up in his face after someone loaded some .223s too hot. I'm glad nothing got hurt but his hearing. I know I probably won't go to close to max loads yet until I'm used to loading shells. All it takes is one mess up and the same thing could happen to me. With a 7mm the results could be worse too. Frowner

GOOD ANSWER. cheers

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
For deer if I don't get a 45-70 this year and I have to go in the woods again, what would be a good combination between being able to shoot and possibly get back on target, and plenty of power? I was thinking maybe a light TSX...maybe the new 120 grain. Does anyone have ballistics on it? It seems like it could have a heck of a flat trajectory if loaded fast.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TYLER
Here is about the best buy in bullets to start out. I would suggest the 150 Gr. A couple of the most common powders are the 4350s and 4831s from IMR and Hodgon get a good manual or three or four and STUDY!!!
Lyle
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler,Welcome.Sounds like just about anything I had to offer has already been offered in regards to equipment.I'd be happy to send you some 7MM bullets however.Possibly some brass too if you're in need of some more.I can certainly understand your Dad's reluctance.I have 3 sons + I know a parents concerns.It can be a scary world if you're not careful.My youngest gets on "My Space",+ I monitor that.But some of those girls on there,well I'll just say it looks like bad parenting.Enough of that.Sounds like you have a good Dad with your best interests at heart.Anyway,if you want some components PM me with how your Dad wants to work it + I'll send you some.I'm really glad to be of service to a young person wanting to get started in this.A good friend of mine that sells reloading components for a living commented a while back that he noticed his customer base was primarily guys at an average of 50 yrs. + older.Don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out where that's heading.Welcome aboard.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4187 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like after going through this thread that the only major things you will need at some point that we haven't come up with are a case trimmer or a trim die (I use the Forster, Frank Martinez had one for sale recently in the Classifieds forum for 40 bucks, he may still have it) and a powder measure (I use the RCBS Uniflow).

The measure isn't really a necessity now as you are getting a scale and for the powders that work good in the 7mm Mag (RL-19, RL-22, 4831, 4350, etc) I could never get them to meter worth a damn anyway. What I do is pour the powder into a coffee cup and use the Lee powder scoops (an entire set is 6 or 7 bucks from Midway) to throw the charge into the scale and then use the trickler to get it exact and by using this method I don't cut the grains.

You will also want to get some odds and ends like a lube pad, couple of loading blocks, and a chamfer/deburring tool. You should be off to a pretty good start.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK GUYS

So we don't start doubling up let's list what we have sent, so others can fill in he gaps.

I have sent a set of dies, a scale, powder trickler, a set of bases, and rings.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyle,

Great point.

I'm sending Hornady, Hodgdon, and IMR reloading manuals, a Lee hand priming tool with #5 (magnum) and #8 (45-70) shellholders, a Lyman dial caliper, and a tube of Lee case lube (Tyler, I use Lee lube to lube the inside of the neck and use RCBS lube w/ lube pad for the outside of the case).

Andy

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Scope and a set of rings

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler: About 12 miles up the road from you toward Mexico is Graff & Sons, a tremendous reloading supply house. There should be plenty of selection there from which to choose. I used to hunt deer south of you when I was a newspaper reporter in Mexico from 1990 to 1998. My personal best came from a ranch near the interstate. It took in that big gulley in State Highway 54 a few miles before you get to Interstate 70. Do have your father take you up to Graffs. I used to hang out there talking to the folks, who have a wealth of information too. Good luck ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got an ABC's manuel to send and some once fired 7mag shells to send. Have an extra scale but I think that there have already been a couple of offers for that.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

I just got an ok from his Dad to send these items offered.
Pm, or e/m me and I'll provide the mailing address. georgeld@hotmail.com

I'm sending:
homemade loading block for 100
100+- 7mmag brass
*can't find those bullets, maybe I loaded them*
RCBS lube and new pad
I'd like him to have a Lee's loading book. Only have one now, can anyone provide that?
IF I can find them, chrono recording pages
targets
Tube Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner
someone please send him a brass/bronze brush ok?

There's more, mind is blank at the moment, I'll get back and post what went out in the box after it's gone tomorrow.

Thanks guys, looking for your msgs. Prefer they come to my e/m rather than here.

Tyler: Better keep your butt flying straight now bud!!
Isn't that the same town Midway is in??????
IF so, why don't you go over there and see if you could work part time around the place in trade for this kind of stuff?
Man, wish I lived near an outfit like that!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Midway as in Midwayusa or what? I haven't seen or heard about it.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
In reply to 7x57, I go to Grafs several times a month. They never have my 45-70 I want in stock. Thoser people are nice though, too bad they didn't have any old Browning Torque Equalizers to fix my uncles bow. I gotta find some, or hopefully Briggs has some.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, MidwayUSA.

G

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Where's it located?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's on Van Horn Tavern Rd.

About as far west of town as you live to the east of town. About the same distance south of I 70.

I have the address, but, why isn't your Dad's business listed??? [URL=http://www.whitepages.com/yellowpages.com

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
IDK why it isn't listed. I know it exists though...I gotta go work for it the next 2 days if it can stay dry. Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent a coffee can full of new 7 mag. brass + 3 boxes of 162G. HPBT Nat. Match bullets.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4187 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Is this load even close to safe for a Marlin 45-70 1895?

Bullet: 275g
Powder Weight: 62g
Powder type: 4198
Velocity: 2817 fps
OAL: 2.410"
Primer: Win LR

"This is a very powerful load developed using my Marlin 1895 CB. The extreme spread was 19.0 and the standard deviation 9.5. grouped 2" at 50 yards using factory iron sights. Bullet is hardcast, gas checked, sized to .458 and lubed twice with heavy coats of Liquid alox. Leading was minimal. This load is intended for strong modern firearms ONLY and should be considered a MAXIMUM LOAD! Also may be too fast for anything other than varmint sized game due to the possibility of the bullet not holding together when contacting heavy bone."

Because if it was, and I could get a good constructed bullet, it would be the bomb for deer!

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
For that load, 4846 ft lbs. Holy cow that would be a kicker on both ends.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sending my stuff out to Tyler tomorrow.

A Lee hand priming tool with shellholders, some reloading manuals, a Lyman dial caliper, and a tube of Lee case lube along with a handful of 7mm Mag brass I picked up at the range on Saturday.

Andy

posted Hide Post
Hello , im also new to reloading and would like to know what the best equip I can get for both pistol and rifle rounds. I would like to have the powder measured for me. I have modern reloading Lee book and have abc's in the mail. I will prolly start out with one of the single stage Lee presses and work my way up to the dillion 650 or something like that. WHat would u suggest for the progressive presses? I will prolly wait a while and get down the basics of reloading then order the other press. also what do I need to get brass perfict from brassman? thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harley3344:
Hello , im also new to reloading and would like to know what the best equip I can get for both pistol and rifle rounds. I would like to have the powder measured for me. I have modern reloading Lee book and have abc's in the mail. I will prolly start out with one of the single stage Lee presses and work my way up to the dillion 650 or something like that. WHat would u suggest for the progressive presses? I will prolly wait a while and get down the basics of reloading then order the other press. also what do I need to get brass perfict from brassman? thanks

I would not suggest a progressive for someone new to reloading. There are too many snafus that can happen with progressive equipment that a beginner doesn't have the experience or the ingrained habits to be able to spot and correct. I think that the best equipment to start out with is an RCBS or Redding single-stage setup. There are those who will disagree but in my opinion the Lee equipment doesn't measure up to RCBS or Redding.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Ok, today I recieved items from Woods, Yuman, and Norman Conquest. I got bullets and some nice Norma brass from Norman Conquest, an old Redfield scope that should work nice on my 7mm from Woods, and a powder trickler, powder scale, scope rings, scope bases, and some Bonanza Benchrest dies from Yuman. Thanks alot guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent Tyler,

Norma Brass? Wow, Norman Conquest did you well. My stuff should be arriving shortly. cheers

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Norma brass...isn't that stuff expensive? Thank you Norman Conquest!

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Hey adrook, have you talked to forrest? I really hope he sends the press...I wish I knew his phone number, even though I'm not sure if my dad will call him.