Find
Notify
Tools

I want to get started reloading.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Currently I shoot only a 7mm Remington Mag, but am hoping to get a 45-70 later this year. What is the best equipment for the price? I know to get the most out a 45-70 it's either handload or buy real expensive loads from Garret and stuff. Thanks for your help.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've used a single simple single stage RCBS press for years and have loaded everything from 44 Magnum at the short end to 458 Lott on the long end with it. I know there is fancier and faster stuff out there but I've never seen a reason to upgrade. I've reloaded thousands of rounds with this setup with no problems except a broken depriming pin when resizing military cases replaced free by RCBS.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

I think that reloading equipment is pretty much like everything else, you get what you pay for. I started out at about your age with a Lee single stage press which served me well for many years. I still have it but my primary press now is a Redding.

Here is the equipment that I like.

RCBS Rockchucker or Redding Boss presses
RCBS or Redding dies
RCBS Uniflow powder measures
RCBS powder scales
Lee hand priming tools
Forster Case Trimmer
Lee powder scoop kit (very cheap and useful)

I will also add that RCBS has fantastic customer service. I have lost parts to my RCBS equipment before and they have never charged me (not even shipping) for replacement parts and I have always had them in the mail in a couple of days. If I were you I would look into an RCBS kit if I could afford it. You will get just about everything that you will ever need equipment wise except for dies. Something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/sta...=cat20847&hasJS=true

If cost is an issue you could watch the classified forum as a lot of used equipment goes through there pretty cheap.

Andy

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
If you've got the cash handy, it's really hard to beat the starter kit from RCBS. That, dies, poweder, and bullets and you're set for years. You can always upgrade later. You can also go cheaper, but in the price/performance curve, that kit just rules IMO.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the rcbs equipment myself as the quality is very good and the service from rcbs is great should you require assistance.I do know several people that started out with lee equipment and later bought rcbs.My own rockchucker press is over 25 years old and has loaded several thousands of rounds with no problems at all.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started reloading a few weeks ago after wanting to since I was a teenager.

I have already learned that you can not go wrong with RCBS equipment. There is cheaper stuff out there but also people who will complain about it.

If you get the RC kit from RCBS you will be handing it down to your grandkids someday.

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Ok sounds like when i get the money RCBS it'll be. The Lee Pro 1000 looks ok, but then again it doesn't come with anything and I don't know anything yet. Thanks for the quick replies.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee Clasic Cast Press
Lee decapping die
Lee Pacesetter dies
Lee collet dies
Wilson case trimmer
RCBS "APS strip" bench mounted primer seater
APS strip loader tool
RCBS 10-10 powder scale
RCBS deburing tool and case brushes
Lyman flash hole debur and primer pocket uniformer tools

RCBS bullet puller hammer style
sinclar international loading blocks
Shooting Chrony
Loading manuals by everyone Hornady, Speer, IMR etc...

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler cheap in terms of what. You can get really cheap and replace it in a few years with quality. The other option is quality and a life time warranty and it will last you a life time. That's what I did in 1974. I'm still using the same RCBS equipment had a couple very minor things go wrong like I lost the primer catcher. RCBS replaced it for free. Lost the top to my Uniflow power measure. Yep RCBS replaced it for free. Other than that it's been a trouble free reloading outfit. Still pumps out a lot of quality ammo. Wouldn't trade for another brand. RCBS has always had top notch service and quality equipment.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Cheap as in I need to save for a truck by next fall. I'm almost 15 now and due to some school camps and stuff I'm only gonna be able to work for about a month. I'm making around $50 a day so I could afford to buy RCBS maybe. Another option is to wait and maybe get the kit for Christmas and share the cost with my parents. I have a guy handloading my 7mm for me for deer this year. Oh yeah, I also ahve to save for a scope, I currently have nothing on my 7mm. Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler

Where do you live, I might be able to help.

Lyle AKA YUMAN

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
I can sum it up in one word... "Lee" thumb

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Tyler,
I have an RCBS Rockchucker press that got me started when I was your age. It's in perfectly good shape and needs a new home for the next 30 years. I have a few other odds and ends that could help get you started. Send me an email and I'll box everything up for you.

EDITED: Have your folks send me an email and I'll make arrangements with them to ship you some gear if they say it's OK. I'd want the same courtesy if it were my kids on the receiving end.

Forrest Bruch

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I live near Auxvasse, MO but my parents wouldn't let me see anyone in person. Ya'll are too awesome. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
I live near Auxvasse, MO but my parents wouldn't let me see anyone in person I bet. They think everyone is a stalker, in fact they told me to get off this site. Heck with that, ya'll are too awesome. Smiler

Tyler,

Stay on this site. No stalkers here, in fact most of us are pretty good guys, we need more young folks like you.

Since ForrestB got this started I have some reloading manuals, an extra Lee hand priming tool, and a Lyman dial caliper that I will send you. PM me with your address and I will get them out to you.

Anybody else have any extra equipment taking up space that you can spare to get this kid started?

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler

ForrestB beat me to it. I have an old Pacific press I was going to offer, but I also have a set of Bonanza 7 MM Rem Mag dies with a benchrest seater, and an RCBS neck size die extra. Send me your Mailing address and I will send them to you, Now lets see who else has surplus tools to help out a youngster starting out.

Lyle

email lylensuzi@yahoo.com

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler:

You're off to a great start already.

Hell of a deal, was going to offer this extra set of 7mag dies. Looks like I've been beat there.

Couple things Tyler, do NOT get a progressive press til you learn the tricks of loading.

You need to get at least three different loading books. Read them all cover to cover at least twice before you even set the press up. Then you'll have an idea where to start off right. One of those books, get the Lee Manual, there's a lot of info in there for cast bullets you can make yourself for both the 7mm and 45/70. When the time comes you want to cast your own bullets, get Lee molds, cheaper than anyone else's and real good quality, so are the bullets they make too.

Once you get started, get the Lee case trimming hand tools. They're real good, fool proof and affordable. Easy to use and do the job perfectly. MidwayUSA.com, order a catalog. Less than ten bucks worth will do for one caliber and can be updated for more cal's when you're ready for less than $5 more.

RCBS does make the best dies, and their press and warranty service can't be matched by anyone. Loose, or break something, just send them an e/m, or phone call and it's on the way @ N/C. Even die boxes and pins for the decapper at the same price: no charge!!

How much empty 7mmag brass you got now?? I've got a bunch of it and could send some. pm me.

Good luck, run into any problems, or questions hop back on here, come to the reloading section and you'll get all the help right away you could possibly use.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have 25 cheap bulletts you can use for sighting in when u get a scope. lyman makes the best case trimmer,it has a universal chuck and comes with the correct pilot for 7mm. the other great tool is a digital scale.

email me if you want the bulletts nwwash@juno.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a copy of the "ABC's of Reloading" that I would part with, it's a great book for learning. Also have a whole pile of once fired 7mag shells that I'd send as well. Give me an address and they'll be shipped out.

Edited to add: I also have an extra Lee scale and an extra trickler if you'd like.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Ahh frustration, my dad said if I give out my address I'm in trouble. The only thing I can think of is maybe Ebay or something. Thanks a ton for the offers, but I can't accept them. Confused Does anyone know the cheapest place to get the reloading kit from RCBS?
Maybe Ebay again?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Maybe your dad could rent a PO box for a month as a addy for you. The offer of $4-500 worth of tooling (new price) would definatly make it worth it. Deal with the various offers off site, the posters here have their e-mail addy on file and that should keep the PO box private if you want.
Sorry I can`t add anything not already offered in equipment.
It`s a shame but I can empathize with your dad on this, there are a lot of kids in trouble because of people met on line today.....

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand as well, if you'd like your father can email me if it would help. Or he could call me personally.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand your dad's concerns, I have three boys of my own. Sounds like you have good parents, you are fortunate.

The PO box is great idea. Or maybe your dad has a work address you could use.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cheap as in I need to save for a truck by next fall. I'm almost 15 now and due to some school camps and stuff I'm only gonna be able to work for about a month. I'm making around $50 a day so I could afford to buy RCBS maybe. Another option is to wait and maybe get the kit for Christmas and share the cost with my parents. I have a guy handloading my 7mm for me for deer this year. Oh yeah, I also ahve to save for a scope, I currently have nothing on my 7mm. Frowner

Tyler you have those good young eyes if your 7MM has Iron sights they will get you by. Where you live I'd say 300 yard shots are not the norm. I'd bet the average shot is more like a hundred yards or less.

Sounds like this guy loading for you gives you some space not to have to make a hurried decision, the Christmas Idea you have is a very sound one. That way you only pay once and wind up with a quality kit that will be very expandable and last you for your life.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

Please let you dad see the responses to your question on this forum......He'll probobly pick up on what a great bunch of very generous gentlemen you have found.......and perhaps go with the PO box idea.

Best of Luck
JJB

Posts: 20 | Location: Santa Rosa, California | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler:

I'm sending my address & ph# to your pm,
please ask your Dad to read all this thread and then check us out with Saeed or such.

It's too bad he wouldn't let you accept close to $300 worth of equipment free just so we could all help you get started right.

No other obligation, just donations to a kid wanting to get started reloading.

Wish you well, do hope he'll consider it.

George

Edited/added PS: sent you and Dad an e/m with my details. You should have it by now.
G

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I might be able to have it shipped to my dads work. He said he'd tell me tomorrow after he looks over the conversation. Anyways, if anyone wants to offer more stuff just say what you're sending and you email address. Thanks again folks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Tyler,

I have enjoyed reading this thread, for one because it is nice to see a young man like yourself taking an interest in shooting sports, something which can help you form your character and keep you from doing all the foolish things young people (myself included) otherwise do. Secondly, I found it really magnanimous of the guys here to try to support you in your endeavour, offering free reloading equipment! It just goes to show what great guys are in the shooting sports in general and on this website in particular - which brings us back to character forming activities.

If/when your Dad reads this, it would be nice if you could impress on him the value of activities such as recreational shooting and reloading. It is up to you to ensure, that you engage in these activities in a prudent and responsible manner. Sites like this will offer great input on how to stay on the right path - as will the study of reloading manuals. The discipline learned through reloading and shooting you will be able to apply to other parts of your life - perhaps parts which parents are more immediately concerned with.

Good luck with your endeavour, and welcome to the great sport of reloading and shooting.

- mike

P.S. I have PMed you. If you get the issue of receiving the free gear sorted, I'm sure I have something I can contribute - maybe an older reloading manual or some such?? IN that case, reply with mailing address to PM, and I'll see what I can come up with.

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Assuming I get some stuff soon, what are some good cheap bullets and powder to start with?

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
One thing no ones talked about is scales. Should I pay for an electronic one or what?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler

As soon as you get your shipping straightened out I will have a scale on the way to you.
You should wait til you get deeper into loading, then maybe an electronic scale and powder dispenser. I loaded for over forty years with a balance beam scale.

Lyle

Barry M Goldwater.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YUMAN:
Tyler

As soon as you get your shipping straightened out I will have a scale on the way to you.
You should wait til you get deeper into loading, then maybe an electronic scale and powder dispenser. I loaded for over forty years with a balance beam scale.

Lyle

Agreed. I've been loading for over 20 years and have never felt the need for digital scale. Balance beam, Uniflow measure, and a trickler (mainly for the stick powders) are all I need.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Tyler

I've got an old 3x9x40 Redfield Tracker scope that you are welcome to and a set of 1" rings (I have a lot of them collected over the years). You would have to get bases to fit your particular rifle. Keep us informed. All we need is a shipping address.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly new here and just wanted to say what a great bunch of folks y'all are.

The kindness and generosity you have shown to a young man just getting involved in reloading speaks volumes for you as individuals, and as ambassadors of our sport. How refreshing thumb

Tyler, I just got done buying all the equipment for my initial reloading setup, and let me tell ya, these folks are offering to save you a TON of $$$$ with ALL they are offering you. You should consider yourself a blessed young man. All the best in in your reloading endeavors.

Y.B.

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellows:

I e/m'd with him half a dozen times today and it was one thing after another.

First his Dad was going to read and give a decision today. Then he called and dad was going to work til dark etc.

For now, my offer still stands, but, I'm going to sit back and wait on him, or his dad to get back on here about y or n, and/or discuss these things with us.

Wish you all well, I'm proud to be among this great bunch of guys.

I'd welcome e/m from any of you about this, or anything else. georgeld@hotmail.com
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing no ones talked about is scales. Should I pay for an electronic one or what?

Don't know if anyone has offered you a scale, but the best place to start is with a good balance. The Lee scale is about $20 and works ok. You can get better scales for better quality later, but it will get you started.

I work with electric scales quite a bit, and they can be very finiky. Which is why I use a manuel balance (and since arguing with an electric scale is what I have to do at work at times).

Great hobby to get into! Read all the books and remember that the name of the game is not to get the bullets going as fast as they can but to get the bullets to shot as accuratly as it they can.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
SUCCESS!

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

I found an extra magnum shellholder for the Lee handprimer and an extra new tube of Lee case lube that I'll send you. If I run across anything else that might help you I'll throw it in the box too.

Sounds like you have a friend that reloads who can help you get started but once you receive everything jump back on here if you have any questions and we'll help you out.

Remember, you're after accuracy and consistency, not just velocity. Developing good habits (only one open can of powder on the bench at a time, empty your powder measure after each reloading session, work up to maximum loads, never go over maximum, consult a manual for reasonableness before using loads gotten from the internet, etc.) is critical to doing this safely.

Cheers,
Andy

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
My uncle had a gun blow up in his face after someone loaded some .223s too hot. I'm glad nothing got hurt but his hearing. I know I probably won't go to close to max loads yet until I'm used to loading shells. All it takes is one mess up and the same thing could happen to me. With a 7mm the results could be worse too. Frowner