New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm interested in the relative accuracy of various 7mm calibers of similar ballistics.

Between the 280 Remington and 284 Winchester, does one tend to be more accurate than the other, all else being equal? And between the 7mm/08 and 7x57, does one tend to be more accurate than the other, again all else being the same?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
The most accurate rifle I ever owned was a Browning Hunter Abolt in 280 Rem using Federal factory ammo. The groups were simply amazing, with handloads everything was still way below .5 moa, with the factory though, there was a small .284" hole. To this day I have no idea how it happened.

My 7 Rem Mag Custom Outfitter from Weatherby with a 24" tube shoots most rounds above 150 grains well. The 160 Aframe, as well as the 175 Hornandy both hold below a half moa, and shoot below an inch at 200 yards.

The 7 STW I own, a Sako 75 wood stainless leaves a little to be desired, usuallly about 1.5 moa with a normal handload. With one that shoots well it will just about make the 1 moa cut. I think if I did it over again I would buy a Weatherby Accumark in the same caliber.

Well, that is my 2 cents, hope it helped.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In 7mm, one of my favorite calibers, I find the 7mm "remmag" and the 7STW of about equal, and very good acuracy. Individual rifles vary, loads and conditions vary, but certain combinations of rifle and cartridge have achieved over time consistant results. I know that my rifles, with good loads, and properly tuned, are capable of consistant and fine performance. I would not choose either of the ones above solely on any percievable (I can't define any) difference in accuracy, but upon the task at hand. 280 and 7x57 are both fine rounds, but wouldn't suit my particular needs so I can't provide you any imput there.

To answer your question from the "heavy" end of the spectrum, both 7mm Remington Magnum and 7mm STW are both potentially very accurate rounds. Both of mine are in Model 70 Winchester rifles, the only difference being a 26" heavy barrel on the STW vrs. a 24" sporter barrel on the 7mm mag.

Good shoot'n!

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son shoots a M7 7mm-08 with 140 gr.Balistic Tips it will shoot about 1.25@100 yards. I have a .284 Win in M700 with Shilin barrel it will shoot about .75 average with the same bullet. Still working on loads for my 7mm Rem Mag but get about 1.5 with 160gr. Barnes x Bullets. Trying 160 gr. Grand Slams today. Don't see any reason to load the 7 mag with lighter bullets as I will hunt with the heavier ones.

Posts: 34 | Location: Kirksville, MO | Registered: 17 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I don't know which one is most accurate, but most of them are capable of fine accuracy, indeed. The 7-08 is well known for being a reliable shooter. I have a stock Savage 110 in 7 mag that will put 3 130 gr. Matchkings in the .3's...... repeatedly. Like it was said above, I don't know how that happens..... eery.

I've never shot the 284, but it is a sound case design, and should be capable of delivering top-notch accuracy. Given the popularity of the 6.5-284 on the long range target circuit, I would think the 7 mm version is up there, too. The 7x57 was not designed as a target round, and may be inherently a hair less accurate, but it is not known as a finicky round. Even so, somehow I doubt you'd be able to find the difference in accuracy outside a benchrest environment. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of my 7mm's shoot very well when fed handloads. My 280 likes the 150gr ballistic tip as does a 7x57. The 7x57AI likes 140,150 ballistic tips equally as well as the 160Speer mag tip. I'm working with a 7mm-08 and it's showing a preferance for 140 Serria. The 280 is a Ruger, 7x57 pre 64 Mod 70, 7x57AI a custom gun on a Sako action and the 7mm08 a Weatherby Ultra Light. Each rifle has its own personality in regards to loads. I think the 7mm is inherantly accurate regardles of what form it takes.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
I would say that if all were tested in equally good bench guns, accuracy - from best to worst would fall like this: 7-08; 7 X 57; 284; 280 and the 7 X 57 / 284 might go either way. I base this only on the case capacity to bore diameter relationship (believing the 7-08 to be about optimum) and the length of the powder column. However, I doubt that there would be more than about .25 moa difference from best to worst.