New
Find
Notify
Tools

RUAG versus RWS brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Huntington Die Specialties is out of RWS 9.3x64 Brass. I checked the Reimer Johannsen web sight, and found 9.3x64 RWS brass listed, but... The brass is made by RUAG, not RWS. Does anyone know how the RUAG brass compares to RWS? I believe that RUAG owns RWS, but beyond that, I am clueless.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

The same situation applies to 6.5x65 RWS caliber.

Thanks all

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
RUAG is also the parent company of Norma too. Brass could be made either by Norma or RWS and marketed under the RUAG banner. Not sure if this brass would be headstamped by the actual manufacturer i.e. Norma or RWS. Will be good brass from either source.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As usual the simplest answer is the most elegant, and sensible. Thank you Eagle.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
RUAG is also the parent company of Norma too. Brass could be made either by Norma or RWS and marketed under the RUAG banner. Not sure if this brass would be headstamped by the actual manufacturer i.e. Norma or RWS. Will be good brass from either source.

I'll go a bit the other way... Norma may be consistent but longevity is not in the class of RWS. I have found some Norma seemingly soft in the head area leading to loose primer pockets in short order. Whilst some state that as a given and there is a lot of "internet talk" about it, my experience thusfar has varied per calibre.

Weatherby brass is made by Norma and so far so good - but I don't have over four loads in any of it. That said some of my other Norma was already bad by then. Notably 375 H&H which is not loaded very hot. My sample size is proba ly too small to say, but others seem to have the same experience.

I choose norma if I must or as an accuracy test, for volume, or where there is no other consistent brass available, but it is by no means on a par with RWS (which I also shoot in but a handful of calibres although I have some to try in others soon).

Posts: 689 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
375 H&H Norma brass so far so good. Reloaded about 6 times now. No problems.

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am hoping that Norma is learning from all the internet discussion. They certainly know how to make hard headed brass. I use either Norma, or Sako brass in my 6mm PPC. I could swear they came off the new assembly line. If it becomes a problem, I will switch to 220 Russian from Lapua, and fire form from there. Knock on wood. So far, no problemas.