New
Find
Notify
Tools

250 grain TTSX in 375 Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I searched the forum but I didn't find this specific combination. I am emailing Barnes to see if they have any data as this bullet is missing from their published load data.

Anyone have a recommendation? Would love to hear results from one of the 20" barreled Rugers. I have the Alaskan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just went to the Hogdgon reloading table for a 250 grain bullet. I started several grains below max and worked up. I stopped at 71 gr. of Varget with no signs of pressure. 72 is listed a max. It did all I needed it to! This is the load I used in Africa in the Alaskan. I will look later to see if I still have velocities.

Posts: 694 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could not find the old chrony results. I did find two loaded rounds I had left over. Ran em through the chrony and average is 2620. The TTSX did what they were supposed to do on African plains game, all one shot kills! I have two bullets recovered for gemsbok. I did notice here at home on pigs, I had more runners than with Sierra Game Kings so I went back. I had a raccoon climb the feeder leg to spin corn out. On the ground it was facing me. The TTSX went just over its head between the ears, entered the neck and out the back leg. Other than the quarter size hole in the neck I could have skinned it out. I did the exact same shot with a 250gr Sierra Game King and it did skin it out! Hope this all helps!

Posts: 694 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update for anyone interested. Barnes shows w760 as the most accurate powder for 235 and 270 grains TSX. 81 grains max max for 270 and 84.5 for the 235. I worked up to the 81 listed for the 270 grain bullet. My 20” Alaskan averaged 2790 FPS and shot into one ragged hole. I started to inch up, but velocity gains were minimal and the groups opened significantly.

The rifle had quite a bit more blast than my R17 loads with 300 grain bullets, so I might do more experimenting.

Also, I like the published BC for the TTSX, but that tip really comes into play when the magazine length limits COAL. The 250 grain TTSX is jumping about .200 to the lands with the carlrtridge length still a little longer than I would like.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I run 72 gr of Varget with a 250 TTSX in my 375 H&H. Seat at 3.575.

Not sure how the case design affects the burn rate and pressure, but the Ruger has a higher case capacity.

Barnes list 73.5 gr of RL-15 max for a 270 gr TSX in a Ruger 375

So I think starting at 72 gr of Varget and working up would be fine.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3036 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
The plastic tips break off in my mag due to recoil.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...061024242#4061024242

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eye:
The plastic tips break off in my mag due to recoil.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...061024242#4061024242

Never had that issue. Spent 2 weeks in Namibia with my setup - no issues.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3036 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 250gr TTSX in my m77 375R. With RL17, I get speeds around 2750 fps (19.6" brl) and pretty decent accuracy

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck getting Barnes to reply to your email. I've emailed them on the very same bullet for the 375 Ruger and I didn't get so much as an F U from them.

Posts: 742 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by todbartell:
I shoot the 250gr TTSX in my m77 375R. With RL17, I get speeds around 2750 fps (19.6" brl) and pretty decent accuracy

Mind sharing your charge? Googling 375 Ruger and Relaoder 17, one can find max loads from 81 to 86 grains!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a couple of 375 Rugers for Dr. Rae in TWin FAlls a few years ago..I used RL-15 for a mild load of 2500 FPS with a 300 gr. and almost 2700 with the 250 Monolithics..I like that velocity for the Ruger and my 375 H&H, it penetrates better and isn't so rough on bullets punching through buffalo IMO. Kinder to the bullets and kills very well indeed..Were I hunting elk or soft skinned game I might kick them up a 100 FPS or so..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41798 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote