THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Accubond Bullets - How Are They Made?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted
Does anyone know how the Nosler Accubond bullets are made? The use of the term "bond" would seem to suggest some sort of physical bonding of core to jacket (like Bill Steigers' old Bitterroot Bonded Core bullets), but is this actually the case? Steigers used a soldering process with his.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
"Proprietary" would tell me it's their version of bonding, compared to physical, chemical. New. (They do say "weld".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gey1EgRGvGk

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
weld can be chemical or heat.
either way works.
heat has the ability to mark up the jacket with pock marks, and will show up as such though quite minutely even If the heat is completely controlled.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
"Proprietary" would tell me it's their version of bonding, compared to physical, chemical. New. (They do say "weld".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gey1EgRGvGk

Yes, thanks for that clip. They do indeed say "weld." I suppose their process is a trade secret and that we'll never know just how they do it. Some years ago I shot some of Bill Steigers' Bitterroot Bonded Core bullets--250-gr .358--in a .358 Norma Magnum rifle I used for grizzly bears. They really were "bonded" as Steigers soldered the jackets to the cores in his process. Jacket-core separations just didn't happen. I wonder whether the Nosler Accubonds are as foolproof re jacket-core separations.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 161 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
In recent years our group has recovered some Nosler Ballistic Tips

These bullets also retained 2/3

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote