Find
Notify
Tools

Lab Radar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Starting to get the hang of mine. I like not having to set up skyscreens
in front of the bench, and I like having velocities out to 100 yds. I can confirm BC that way.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Have not thought of using my others since picking one of these up.

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my Oehler 35P sits in the case. What do you think of my high tech base? I needed something that would fit skinny benches. It is piece of 1/4” scrap metal. This one is a little bent but the gimble mount from the available base unit Lab Radar sells fixes that. I think I will drill holes in my 1/4” sheet metal piece and add legs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
INTJ, have you tried to use your Lab Radar with other shooters in the area? Does filter out the noise from other shooters?

And lastly, have you compared it against you 35P? If so, do they match?

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a guy shooting 10-12’ away that didn’t trigger the Radar with the sensitivity setting I have it in at present. I haven’t done a side by side, not sure if I can as the sky screens may mess up the doppler—not sure. I can say that the velocities seem correct for the loads I am shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

I've never found a technology that replaces my Oehler... until now... maybe...

Do you get any miss readings?

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not one missed reading since I set the sensitivity properly and remembered to arm the system. I too am a long time Oehler 35 user. I—as I expect is true with you as well—have used many chronographs and have long considered the Oehler 35 the Holy Grail. I can’t ever see gong back to it now. Because it measures 30 cal and up to 100 yds, you get several readings per shot. If you don’t have it aligned well it might drop the 100 yd reading—meaning you get muzzle, 1 yd, 25 yds, 50 yds, and 75 yds. It so happened that my 100 yd readings were agreeing with the BC Barnes publishes for the 225 TTSX, so I am happy with results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks man. $560 is veeeery reasonable and veeeeery tempting...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love mine - I even pack it in the desert and set it up for my long range shooting sessions...

A few tips:
1. Use the doppler trigger if you have trouble picking up your shots (trigger doesn't always pick them up when I shoot in a crowd when shooting 224 or 6mm)
2. Get a rechargeable power source - LabRadar eats batteries.
3. Buy the base, but get a machinist to cut the metal off around the rubber feet - it is wasted metal anyway, and that way it fits into the carrying case.
4. Use the compass on your iPhone to orient the unit so it is pointing exactly where your rifle points.

LabRadar and the Annealing Made Perfect annealer are the two best things I have bought in the last year. No regrets.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Here is mine. For .500 S&W and other "high blasting" cartridges it is a must!

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I haven't touched ANY of my other chronos since getting a lab radar -- none --- too darn easy to setup, take down, and accurate ---

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well........I have had mine since last Fall so MY news is older still..... Wink .........although I don’t think I got to use it until this past January. This weekend was he first time I left the data in the memory so I could do some analysis at home. There is a LOT to like with this chrono....

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I got tired of waiting for them to come to market and bought another PACT chrone after my first one quit working after 20 years.

Has anyone ever tried to measure .224 caliber bullets at 4,000 fps?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I got tired of waiting for them to come to market and bought another PACT chrone after my first one quit working after 20 years.

Has anyone ever tried to measure .224 caliber bullets at 4,000 fps?

Mine measured .224 bullets at 3150; I don't see why the speed would make a difference.

I was testing my .220 Swift with manually annealed cases vs ones annealed with my new AMP annealing machine. Will post those results in a different post, but pretty interesting.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Mine has never picked up any other shooters at the range. And I have used it when its crowded too.

My base is am 18" piece of 1/4" x 4" wide aluminum flat bar with a $10 tripod head bolted to it. I just use a quick grip wood clamp to clamp it to the bench.

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the first chronograph I or someone in my group have not shot

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to order one of these up next week and maybe give my CED to my buddy after I get used to the Labradar unit.

Does anybody have any suggestions, recommended settings, and or accessories you like the best with yours? Things you would order to help it work best? I would get th unit, their tripod, the case and battery pack at least.

Thanks guys.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
these are currently 'black friday' priced

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
I am going to order one of these up next week and maybe give my CED to my buddy after I get used to the Labrador unit.

Does anybody have any suggestions, recommended settings, and or accessories you like the best with yours? Things you would order to help it work best? I would get th unit, their tripod, the case and battery pack at least.

Thanks guys.

Battery pack is essential, as is the case. I got the metal mounting platform but had it cut down in size around the rubber feet so it fits in the case. I would also recommend you use the Doppler method of detecting shots if you have trouble getting it to register. Finally, I use the compass in my iPhone to orient it parallel to my rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Az. ^^

Yes the bench mount looks good but our benches may not accommodate that so well.

What do you think is the best angle of muzzle to target to set the unit at ?

Thanks again.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
these are currently 'black friday' priced

Better through Midway - or from LabRadar? Or the same?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love mine more each time I use it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells..
plus a 10% discount

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang - I got to check that. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my Oehler,but it does not come out unless I am over 3900fps.
I was skeptical about the Labradar, but it is worth every cent of 450.00 which is what the Brownells code does, with free shipping.
I bought a second unit, if that tells you anything about what I think of it.
I also have 2 Oehler, because when they quit making them, it was hard to get parts. Now I have a backup for each.

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried them with small 17 cals in
excess of 4000fps?

TexKD: what did you find with the CED you didn't like? I have one but, haven't used it much due to health problems keeping me from going shooting.

Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the CED a lot George. It is a really good and accurate unit. I have both sets of screens but I have only once used the IR screens. It is compact and I can carry it all in its one case.

About the only thing I don't like is that with some rifles I have to set it back further due to the blast and even with a very good tripod sometimes the wind here can shake it around. Some knucklehead that I let take a shot through it once shot the screen - but not its fault. Lesson learned.

The thing that I believe I will like better about the LabRadar is the ease of set up and being able to set it when there is firing at our club bench line.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Labradar. anything up to 3900fps.
I am hoping someday they have a firmware update to let it go over 3900, but right now, no.
Yes, I have tried it..It will not pick them up.

Oehler will pick up anything from 17 up.
3900+, That is the times I pull the Oehler out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
Thank you Az. ^^

Yes the bench mount looks good but our benches may not accommodate that so well.

What do you think is the best angle of muzzle to target to set the unit at ?

Thanks again.

Just orient it parallel to the rifle. Take an azimuth along the rifle barrel, then orient the LR to match.