THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Opinions on easiest/fastest most user friendly case trimmer?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on easiest/fastest most user friendly case trimmer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
What say ye?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://drive.google.com/file/...GJh/view?usp=sharing

Redding Model 2400
"Match Precision Case Trimming Lathe"

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, short of having tried all trimmers that are on the market, or even more than one other, I can say that I have had the Redding 2400 for quite some time and I love it. There are trimmers that are far more expensive and perhaps more immune to operator error, but this gives me the precision I want with a minimum of hassles for a wide variety of calibers.

So that's a "thumbs up" for 30.06king.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Whatever else, make sure the merchant can supply the bits you need to make it work.

I bought a Forster once, promised by the shop the spud and case holder needed for my .338 would follow.
The damned things never arrived so I took the trimmer back and have made do with a file since.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Love my LE Wilson.

https://lewilson.com/

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Love my LE Wilson.

I second that!

We no longer use anything else.

We use 3 seprate ones, for different length cases.

With so many weird wildcats here, where no case holder exists, we use one for a smaller case and modify it here.

Works like a charm!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
I use a Franklford Arsenal case prep center that does trimming, inside de-burring, outside de-burring, and primer pocket cleaning.

It requires a little learning to set up correctly though relatively easy, and then is the fastest way to go through a bunch of resized cases.

One caveat is that it cannot handle Rigby size cases and I need to use a traditional styled trimmer for a 416Rigby and 500AccRel.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Love my LE Wilson.

this. hands down

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:
Love my LE Wilson.

this. hands down

But they don't do 50 caliber unless spending double the money.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:
Love my LE Wilson.

this. hands down

But they don't do 50 caliber unless spending double the money.

reminds me of the guy shopping for a big ole RV to buy. he asks the salesman what kinda mileage the beast gets. salesman says well, if you gotta ask ya can't afford it.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Are you looking for a production trimmer or the most efficient single case style.

I have devised a system that eliminates the need to adjust from case to case

45 ACP or 7mm STW and everything in between

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike .. these have sharp cutting edges .. some have motors ...

that being said, i like the redding case trimmer -- though HOLY COW they've gone up in price

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
for fast I use a WFT. You need 1 per cartridge and a drill(press)

also have a forster

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
WFT?

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee system and a battery operated drill. Easy peasy and no fuss with adjusting the length.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
For decades, I used my 50 years old Lyman Universal Case Trimmer (the gray one with the crank handle). Later, I added Lyman's Power Adapter. Connected to an electric screwdriver, it operated much faster and I no longer got blisters on my fingers but calibre switch remained a bored, notwithstanding the collection of master cases of minimum length I had made up. Still some years ago, I added a new calibre to my collection and, while awaiting delivery of related case prep' tools, I borrowed a dito Lee case trimmer from a friend. It had a shell holder adaptable to an electric drill /screwdriver and a handle/cutter + a guide rod of correct case length ; it meant no more cutting adjusting, just slide the case in the shell holder, slip the guide into the case until it stops and press the power switch until the cutter won't cut more and, you're done. I was so impressed with the ergonomics that I ordered a Lee set for every caliber I handload for. The only (small) reproach I would address to Lee is that their cutter shortens the cases just shy of max length. I would prefer cutting to minimum length so as to avoid cutting too often. But then, nobody's perfect...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
So for those who have the Wilson, did you get the micrometer stop version?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Pancho. The Lee trimmers work well when used with a battery powered drill. I have one for each of my rifle calibers from .223 to .375. Had to get the one for the 9.3x62 via Lee Special Order, but no fuss. I would recommend using the cutter head with the wooden ball, way easier on the hands! And the three blade chuck, not the shell holders that come with the "mandrel".

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

The micrometer stop allows you to more quickly switch back and forth between cartridges. Can return to the previous setting, precisely.

If loading just one cartridge, say in bulk, you might not want to pay the extra premium.

I've owned trimmers from Herters (yes), RCBS, and Lyman. They are not in the same galaxy with the Wilson, in terms of making precise, consistent, and square cuts. Speed is another matter, depends more on whether you go motorized.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman Universal Case Trimmer that has seen me through decades of service. I bought it in the late 70's.

The universal base collet is fast to use; but being hand cranked it is not for large production. Though a drill attachment is available.

Don't know if it is the best. But 40 years in service and still available shows good initial design. All they've changed is the base color.

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
WFT first model

https://littlecrowgunworks.com...-wft/?v=7516fd43adaa

https://youtu.be/UWyWz-tzJ10

Seems they make a new one, the cartridge specific inset and cutter are separate.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Never make an adjustment again

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Ted

That is very innovative

One of Us
posted Hide Post
when I have like 5,000 cases to trim I get out the Dillon size trimmer and hook up the vacuum.
it isn't precise to .001 but it's damn close.
it's fast enough I can zip through all of them in one weekend.
you still have to champher the case mouths which really sucks because you now have a bucket of brass to do.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For production...meaning more than 1,000 cases...I used a Lee case trimmer cutter with the shank chucked up to my drill press with a piece of hardened steel clamped on the table. I'd hold the case with my fingers and lower the cutter until the shank bottomed on the hardened steel plate...don't do this on the bare cast iron table...you'll burn a hole through it in no time. I used to run all my match ammo this way and I'd resize, deprime, and swage the primer pockets on 1,000 pieces in a 5 gallon bucket of military .308 brass all at one time.

Took me about 3 hours to trim that much brass using my method. I'd load it and shoot it 4 times and throw the brass away...4,000 rounds would just about get me through a season. I was full length resizing for reliability in an M1A and what I found is on the 5th reload I'd start to get case head separations in about 5% of the reloads. So I just started chucking them after the 4th reload.

For all my other stuff I have a Forster case trimmer mounted on a piece of angle iron. WHen I need it I clamp it in my Machinist Vise and trim away. Its easy enough to do 100 pieces in 30-40 minutes once you get it adjusted and its as accurate as you are...

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
WITHOUT A DOUBT........ The worlds Finest Trimmer by Little Crow gunworks.

If you want PRODUCTION, this is the tool for you.. I use them for 30-06 which is also good for 270, 280, 25-06, etc and one in 308 which is good for 243 and 7-08 as well.

If your processing more than 100 cases, this is definitely worth it.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Does it inside and outside chamfer while it trims to length?

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Ted

That is very innovative

It certainly is.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

yes

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
when I have like 5,000 cases to trim I get out the Dillon size trimmer and hook up the vacuum.
it isn't precise to .001 but it's damn close.
it's fast enough I can zip through all of them in one weekend.
you still have to champher the case mouths which really sucks because you now have a bucket of brass to do.

Dillon trimmer on a 650 with a case feeder is the bee's knees.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW Ted Thorn great job with your system for the Lyman Universital Trimmer. I have used the trimmer for many years although my system is much less sophisticated it has always worked well on .223 up to .416 for me. Good Shooting and Reloading.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too, use a Lyman Universal case trimmer. Mine is bone stock but, I did create individual case templates (cut to size) for the initial setup. The templates allow me quickly set up the trimmer. Also, I have the shaft for use with drill driver. I couldn't be happier with this setup. I also have the Lee Quick Trim dies and cutters which work pretty well. Unfortunately, they don't have dies for all my calibers specifically my 358 Win.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt! I trim thousands at a time with a Giraud.
I tried a wft, found it slow and received a blister from holding the case.
I use a Wilson for small batch hunting cases.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ask a question that involves an opinion about reloading equipment and you can get 15 pages of posts.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
quote:

Ask a question that involves an opinion about reloading equipment and you can get 15 pages of posts.

Maybe ten years

Not so much these days

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
It was a going Jessie a few years ago. Think what you may about “Hot Core” he did keep things interesting around here.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I think everyone got burnt out, it was heated back then. People got tired of arguing.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I agree on all the points you mention

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Little Crow Gunworks

Best fastest and easy to adjust and change guides!
Cranks 'em out!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Does it inside and outside chamfer?